Starting to Begin - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #46
tp355z

Hey - if you want to buy me a liscence for Pro-Engineer or Solidworks I'd be happy to model the frame and perform a finite-element analysis on it.

But since you don't have $15,000 to blow on software, I'd say just patch the frame and move on!!

We all know this thing is going to be a trailer queen anyway

I didn't see the bearings when I came over the house - I'm shocked at what the inner race looks like. While it's likely that the bearing was just a cheap unit, I wonder whether being the main bearing meant that it saw more humidity??

(Were there ANY markings on the bearing? Any half-reputable mfg will put their name on it (Timkin, ***, Koyo, etc)).

tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #47
tp355z

ROFL

The forum-software blanked out a well known bearing mfg: "F-A-G".

HAHAHA
tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #48
S76
1984 CJ7 

That bearing had no name on it at all. But thinking back, that trans had a magnet the size of a silver dollar in the bottom to collect fuzz, and it looked like a portabella mushroom, so maybe the debris ruined the bearing.

Still waiting to hear back from Novak on the parts list I sent them for the trans and xfer case.
S76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #49
S76
1984 CJ7 

Now I'm confused, can someone with more knowledge maybe help?

I have an AMC 20 rear in the Jeep with 2:73 and trac lock. I want 3:55's, so I found a complete rear with 3:55's but it's open. I thought I could use the 3:55 gears with the 2:73 Trac Lock carrier. That's not going to work is it? I recently discovered that ratios 3:04 and higher (lower, what ever) use a different carrier. Is that right? Can I use the 2:73 Trac Lock clutches in the 3:55 open carrier?

Confusion sets in. Thanks for any input.

bob
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #50
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Definitely need another carrier for 3.54 gears. Can't comment on the tracklok...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #51
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Definitely need another carrier for 3.54 gears. Can't comment on the tracklok...
Yeah I think your right. Rats! Oh well, maybe I'll start searching for a Detriot Truetrac. I'll get the carrier and the posi that way.
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #52
S76
1984 CJ7 

Spent the last few days ordering parts. Got all the Xcase and xmision parts coming from Novak. Talked to a guy named Eric. Super nice, very patient with my questions.

Ordered this off Flea Bay:

And got the Discs and hoses for the rear disc brake conversion. Waiting on the calipers still. Thanks CJRob for the data.

And, ordered the caliper brackets and Model 20 Truss kit from Besrk. Great deals on his parts. May go back for bumpers in a while.

So no action till I get some stuff. Should be back at it by the end of the week.
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #53
S76
1984 CJ7 

Too cold to work in the garage, no parts to work on the sutff in the basement, so I spent the day surfing for stuff and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Painless-10110...painless+10110

Can this be for real? A $550 dollar harness for $225? We'll find out in a few days cuz I got it.

I hope it's real because it will help make up for the huge cost overun on the trans and xfer case.
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #54
S76
1984 CJ7 

WHAT A GREAT DAY TODAY WAS!

I got stopped for speeding, again, and the guy just told me to slow down. First time in my life I didn't get a ticket. Awesome! But it gets better:

I found a $600 Painless terminated wiring harness on Amazon for $225. It came today and I was expecting something would be wrong. If it seems to good to be true.............

Ninja cat was after the camera string. LOL

The kit looks good!

And, I got the Model 20 truss and the Disc brake conversion brackets from Besrk. Awesome stuff. Looks so nice.

Picked up some cheap pullers so I can re-disassemble the Xfer case, Xmission and diff without wrecking things when I put it together wrong. Don't have the parts from Novak yet,

And, I got all the disc brake stuff except the Semi Loaded Calipers and brackets From Rocky Road.

Good day for sure.
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #55
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Nice..sweet deal on that harness for that price. Doing the disc swap too huh? Besrk is the man, those trusses look nice. I'm gonna get started on my disc swap this weekend. Check out this post below to see how the guy made the little brackets for the E-brake cables.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/pa...-help-1340329/
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #56
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Nice..sweet deal on that harness for that price. Doing the disc swap too huh? Besrk is the man, those trusses look nice. I'm gonna get started on my disc swap this weekend. Check out this post below to see how the guy made the little brackets for the E-brake cables.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/pa...-help-1340329/
That's a huge help. Thanks Rob! Hopefully this weekend will be productive.

Funny thing, everything, or every method, on this Jeep comes from this forum.
I should call it the "Forum Project"

No, maybe I'll call it "Project 4um."

Yeah, that's it.
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #57
rplivin
1985 CJ7 

That is a good CD i bought it for mine but you can not select what pages you want to print if you needed to or at least mine can't. It will only let you print the whole file like 1500 pages. Also ordered one of the harnesses off Amazon cant believe that any was left. Great find. Good luck on your build.
rplivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #58
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplivin View Post
That is a good CD i bought it for mine but you can not select what pages you want to print if you needed to or at least mine can't. It will only let you print the whole file like 1500 pages. Also ordered one of the harnesses off Amazon cant believe that any was left. Great find. Good luck on your build.
Thanks rplivin.

I checked my CD. It defaults to printing the whole manual, but you can select it to print just the current page. I still can't believe the price on that harness. And it was free shipping. I was tempted to buy a dozen and resell them. LOL But instead I just told everyone.

The project has been held up waiting for xmision and xfer case parts, should be any day now, but more importantly I finally figured out how to go about welding up the replacement frame. That was a stumbling block for me, but full steam ahead now.
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #59
S76
1984 CJ7 

Mr. UPS arrived!

All the parts for the trans and xfer case came from Novak.

Transfer case parts with instructions, that's great....

Transmission parts with instructions. The cat said: "Those don't look like Timkens to me!"

New main shaft:

Bad main shaft splines:

Good Main shaft splines:

Bad xfer case input spines. If you look at the end of the spline one side is worn:

Good xfer case input splines. Novak was kind enough to give me a good used one for a great deal:

Old first gear:

New first gear:

Old reverse gear. Hurts just looking at that thing:

New Reverse gear. That's more like it:

And some ubolts instead of the plates and bolts:

Now just have to put it together. But this weekend will be plowing all weekend. Looks like 2 Ft. plus.
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #60
teh603
1963 CJ5 

What kind of press are you going to use to press those things on?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.