Starting to Begin - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #31
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
You can..

Any pics of the 302 and Stang?
Oh nice. I was hoping they would fit. Thanks for the pics. I cannot find a pic of the Stang. It's an 84 GT. White. My son Tyler has a long block 347 to go in it but he will be keeping all the accesories so I need to find all that stuff. I already found an intake and an aluminum bellhousing but I need the front end. Brackets, alt. pump etc.

I did find a pic of his Camaro. He built it with all new drivetrain and I painted it for a HS graduation present. Basecoat clearcoat, orange with a dusting of gold metalflake and Rally stipes that you can't really see. Sold it a while back.

I did a Honda ricer for my other son. Same HS graduation deal. Can't find the pics of that either.

Oh well. Time to go plow snow.

S76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #32
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Sweet, nice Camaro. My brother has an '86 GT, similar. I don't think you can use the aluminum bellhousing if its a T5 bellhousing. You will need a 70s-80s Ford truck/Bronco bellhousing(#D1TA-6394-AA) to connect the T-176 to the 302. My bellhousing, block plate, clutch fork, TO bearing and starter are off a '70 Bronco. Get the flywheel for an '86 F250 with 302 or use Napa part#NNC50710 (164 tooth, 50oz., 14.25 diameter 11in. clutch) and same year truck for the pressure plate. You will need an '84 GMC 1500 11" 1-1/8 10 spline clutch (Advance Auto part#RCF606) as well. Lastly you'll need the pilot bearing from Speedway Motors (part#910-25805) to accept the input shaft of the T-176, and you'll need to trim the T-176 shaft down with a grinder by 5/8". This is all pretty fresh in my mind b/c I pretty much did it last year. Hope that helps.

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #33
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post

I did find a pic of his Camaro. He built it with all new drivetrain and I painted it for a HS graduation present. Basecoat clearcoat, orange with a dusting of gold metalflake and Rally stipes that you can't really see. Sold it a while back.

Oh well. Time to go plow snow.
I was wondering if plowing snow is like pounding sand? That's what we do down here!!

I don't think plating the frame is necessary, but it comes down to what you want to do. If it makes you feel better then you should do it. There is no reason, down the road, to say "Mannn... I wish I had..." Some of the guys use an internal frame paint to help slow down rust. IMO, there is no way to get it clean enough to actually make a long-term bond, unless you dip it... and we've had one or two galvanize their frames. I think cutting out the rotten spots, welding in new steel, and fish-plating are the ticket, then a first-rate top coat. And I know what you mean by the little frame. But you're not going to have issues with frame strength vs. torque. No worries there. Wait until you pull/strip that D30 axle from under the front!! You'll REALLY be thinking golf cart!! It all goes back together to create one of the baddest machines to ever walk the Earth!

Glad to see your son here too.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #34
tp355z

I'll have to dig some up when I get home. I had picture of her on the dyno this summer but I cleaned them off my work laptop.
tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #35
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Sweet, nice Camaro. My brother has an '86 GT, similar. I don't think you can use the aluminum bellhousing if its a T5 bellhousing. You will need a 70s-80s Ford truck/Bronco bellhousing(#D1TA-6394-AA) to connect the T-176 to the 302. My bellhousing, block plate, clutch fork, TO bearing and starter are off a '70 Bronco. Get the flywheel for an '86 F250 with 302 or use Napa part#NNC50710 (164 tooth, 50oz., 14.25 diameter 11in. clutch) and same year truck for the pressure plate. You will need an '84 GMC 1500 11" 1-1/8 10 spline clutch (Advance Auto part#RCF606) as well. Lastly you'll need the pilot bearing from Speedway Motors (part#910-25805) to accept the input shaft of the T-176, and you'll need to trim the T-176 shaft down with a grinder by 5/8". This is all pretty fresh in my mind b/c I pretty much did it last year. Hope that helps.

Thanks Rob! Great info. I knew all those things but didn't have any part numbers. Huge help. I did get an 80's bellhousing out of an F250 van so I'm good there. I have been kicking around the 11" clutch. The Mustang has a 10 or 10.5 (?) that held up really well to our shananagins for last 10 years. He is not using the flywheel so I can save some money there.

Ty's Mustang, my X Mustang, looks just like that but is a hard top. Sweet!
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #36
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I was wondering if plowing snow is like pounding sand? That's what we do down here!!

Glad to see your son here too.
I am still unsure of how to do the frame. The metal on the inside is thin from the factory compared to the outside. If I plate the inside, I can't reall wrap the top and bottom edges to meet the outside frame. (Well I could but it would take me the rest of my life) So it will give me a beefy flat surface with much thinner top and bottom 90 degree bends. Then again, bends are stronger. I am confused.

Tyler: You are a mechanical engineer. Come figure this out. It's starting to make my head hurt.
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #37
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The frame is 3/16 thick. If you have places that concern you greatly then I would plate them on the outside and go with it. My opinion...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #38
tp355z

Ok:

1. Pic of the Mustang on the dyno this summer. 270 RWHP. Thus the 347 build...
2. Pic of the 347 short block.

Plan is for pops and I to meet Saturday night to review the frame and come up with a plan of attack. Hopefully we'll wrap up the evening with sketches and expectations.
100_1963.jpg   100_2102.jpg  
Unread 01-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #39
tp355z

Holy moly those pics are huge...

Sorry guys...
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #40
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hey, does any CJ work get done around here?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #41
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

That fox prolly moves with the 347 in it.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #42
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Hey, does any CJ work get done around here?

Matt
A little does............

Waiting for the garage to warm up so I can finish stripping the frame and remove the rear most x member.

3 hours later:

Got everything off except the spring hangars. Should have soaked them bolts days ago.
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #43
S76
1984 CJ7 

Well, I figured out if I don't start multitasking on this build I probably won't live long enough to see it finished so today I broke down the gearboxes to see what needed to be ordered.

Someone wasn't very nice to their first gear. Looks like they were trying to free up a stuck clutch by jaming it in gear.

And this is the classic symptom of to much plowing when the reverse gear is shot.

Never did finish dissasembling the transfer case but it is perfect in side. I left his mess.

The one thing I did find that I was not expecting is the trans main shaft is shot. The splines going in to the transfer case are about
30% worn out. Tranny has gotten pretty expensive.

EDIT:

While washing up the parts today I also found the input spline to the transfer case is worn. Not the transmission shaft as noted above, the one it goes into which is part of
the tansfer case. It is really hard to see, you need a magnifying glass. The odd part is these 2 splines are located between the trans and the TF case and there is no lubrication in this area. So If your trans spline is bad, chances are your TF case input is worn too.
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #44
S76
1984 CJ7 

I've read a few posts where people have had problems with the input bearing on the T176 transmissions. So if your trans is raspy sounding in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, but not so bad in 4th it is probably your input bearing.

Here is the one I just removed. You can see the pitting on the inner race.

The outer race is not so bad, but it has lost the shine it had when new. It is on it's way out.

This bearing is the only one that did not have a Manf. or part number on it. Me thinks Tremec cheaped out on the input bearings.

Bob
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #45
S76
1984 CJ7 

So now I'm waiting for parts for the trans and transfer case. Lots of parts.

But in the meantime my engineering contractor (my son) shows up to help wth the frame evaluation. We look it over, talk about stress concentration, the pro's and cons of double plating, how much integrity we estimate the frame has lost and do a thorough examination of the entire situation. Finally I ask, "What do you think?"

"I don't know, I'm a mechanical engineer, you need a structural engineer."

And I'm like......

So I still don't know what the best approach is for the frame. Guess I'll think on it some more while I start to tear down the spare AMC 20.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.