Starting to Begin - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #346
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

or you could spray penetrol all over the body and frame like my great grandfather did and on my 1960 willys yearly since new and there are no holes except the floor boards and the frame is rock solid with its original paint. It was used to run a plow and farm equipment and spread salt on the main paved roads.

seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #347
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass1858 View Post
or you could spray penetrol all over the body and frame like my great grandfather did and on my 1960 willys yearly since new and there are no holes except the floor boards and the frame is rock solid with its original paint. It was used to run a plow and farm equipment and spread salt on the main paved roads.
Actually, I do that on all my vehicles and it is a huge help. And, that is the plan for the CJ7 frame and running gear. But it is a yearly chore and the fiberglass will reduce it.

Still not sure.
Unread 02-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #348
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Any updates????
Unread 02-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #349
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
Any updates????
No, not a thing. Haven't worked it for a few months now. Just too much "Life" in the way. But those issues are past now. And it has been so bitter cold in CT the last 2 months I don't even want to heat up the garage.

So I make a command decision to get this Jeep back on track.

I QUIT MY JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really, I did.

At the end on April I am taking an early retirement. That should give me lots of time for the Jeep project and a few other things I have been wanting to do.

I scrapped the metal body and am going fiberglass. One I retire we can sell the old (extra) car an I'll have the money for the body.

Very anxious to get back at it. Thanks for asking.
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #350
Gravey7
2003 TJ Wrangler 

very anxious to see you get back at it!
Gravey7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #351
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey7 View Post
very anxious to see you get back at it!
Yeah, me too. April 30th is my last day of work. Going to hit it hard this summer.

Except now it will be on a budget. But that's OK. I'll have more time to shop for deals.
Unread 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #352
dechlin
1980 CJ7 

Any updates Bob?
dechlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #353
S76
1984 CJ7 

After a 6 or 7 month absense I am finally back on the CJ7. Took an early retirement in May and thought I was going to go back to the Jeep but my son took up race car driving (Driver Education days actually, it's not real racing) and that totally consumed my summer. It took us all summer to sort out this car and by the end it was doing pretty good.

Here is a pic of the car at Lime Rock Race Park in Ct. We also did Thompson CT, Loudon NH, New Jersey Motor Park and Watkins Glen. It is really a lot of fun.

Had to get a trailer for it.

The only incident all summer was when he got to close the edge of the pavement once and hit a pothole. A pothole in a race track! Thank you Loudon.

And now he sold the car to buy another. The new one is set up to race, is very nice mechanically, super fast, but looks like crap. That one will get a paint job this winter. So that was the summer, racing is over and back to the Jeep.

I picked up this junker out of Vermont. Total junk except it has a fiberglass body and that's what I was looking for. New those are about $4K plus and I got this one reasonable. It had been sitting for years in the woods.

Had to pressure wash the green slime off of it and I was unable to remove a single bolt with wrenches. Well maybe a few. Used a 4.5" cut off wheel and a grinder for disassembly.

This makes the 4th CJ that gave it's life for this project.

The only usable part besides the body are these aluminum trim pieces.

And I just had to set it on the chassis to see what's what. Having built the chassis I had no idea what it would look like with a body on it.

Hmmm. That's taller than I thought it would be.

The test fit wasn't a waste of time though. I quickly realized that none of the body mounting holes lined up. They had the body mounted 1" off center in the rear. Going to have to fill lots of holes and re-drill. Also there is rust damage on the firewall. Hard to believe right? This looks to be an old Shell Valley body. They used a metal plate sandwhiched in the firewall by the steering and brake booster. Water got in and the metal plate is all expanded from rust. Lots of work to be done on this body. But I can clearly see the weak spots and will improve the design as I go. I also have a tailgate for it so that will be a major mod to get that installed as it has a straight back without the cut-out.

This will keep me busy for a while.
Unread 11-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #354
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Looks awesome with the body on. Glad your getting back on it
Unread 11-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #355
S76
1984 CJ7 

Thanks Vert

Today I got the body mounted in the rotisserie. Pretty much a guessing game to find the vertical center of gravity but I got lucky and hit it on the first try. You can roll this all the way around with one hand. Now for the grinding and patching. Every hole they drilled in the floor is off an inch. Yikes! Will have to fill and redrill.

Unread 11-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #356
S76
1984 CJ7 

Fiberglass body work continues. I ground off all the paint. Still have the inside to do. I also ground off the bottom as I want to put 2 more layers of fiberglass on the bottom.

This will strengthen it and cover all the holes that were drilled in the wrong spots. Then I can just fill them from the top side.

I cut out out the tailgate opening but that started to get complicated as to exactly how the opening should be shaped to make it flush and yet still provide a surface for the tailgate gasket.

So I walked out back to see how the original was done. Hey why can't I just use that? So now I'm in the process of cutting out about 2 inches around the tailgate opening from the YJ body and installing it in the fiberglass tub.

What could go wrong?
Unread 11-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #357
S76
1984 CJ7 

Spent most of the day cutting and fitting this tailgate surround. By the time I was done the body looked like this.

And the surround is starting to fit but not quite just yet.

The surround extends about 2 inches forward into the wheel well and under the floor. This extension will be used to bond the metal to the fiberglass and then covered on the undersides with a few layers of cloth for strenght.

4 or 5 hours of bathing in fiberglass dust a day is about all I can take.
Unread 11-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #358
S76
1984 CJ7 

Today things went good. Several hours of trimming and the tailgate surround is fittiing pretty good. I counter sunk the fiberglass where the metal goes so it will be flush after bonding it in. Then all of the reinforcement will be done from the back.

Just hook it over the top and it swings down right in place.

In it's postition. It will have to be clamped when bonded as I couldn't get it to lay perfectly flat.

That's enough fiberglass dust for today.
Unread 11-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #359
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Im back on board. by the way are you using 3m pannel bond for this project?

seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #360
tp355z

Looking good! And like any good build - S76 has a backup transfer case, transmission, rims, axles, etc etc etc...

Come to think of it - I predict a 2nd Jeep build after this one: made up wholly of "spares".

tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.