Starting to Begin - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #316
S76
1984 CJ7 

I figured being sick at the DMV would be no different than being sick at home. So I got the Jeep registered.

Ct. laws right now do not require emissions because it is over 25 yrs old, and it had a Ct title so no VIN verification or inspection required. I've been anxious to get this done before they change the rules.

And the antique plates are quite a bit cheaper than regular ones.

Unread 09-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #317
S76
1984 CJ7 

What an interesting day today was. My other son calls and tell me he bought another car. Not a big deal, he does that. So he shows up with it so I can see it.

This is not just a car! It's a 1995 BMW M3 with 67K miles. The previous owner had it set up for track days somewhere on the west coast. Josh had it shipped in and already had his first track day with an instructor at Lyme Rock CT. This thing is awesome.

I can barely fit into those seats.

He says he ran it between 6k and 8k RPM's. "Uh, yeah Josh but the red line is 6K RPM's." That's where the previous owner told him it performs best. It has cams and headers, a full roll cage, differential cooler, an X brace on the bottom, sticky tires, and all. This thing is very much a race car.

After (4) 30 minute track sessions he says his concept of driving is completely changed. But that he has allot to work on. And of course he took me for a ride, around a local hair pin turn, followed by a panic stop to show me how good those huge brakes work. All I can say is WOW.

Here are some of the rubber marks from hot rubber that flew off of the other cars on the track. It had quite a few of them.

Mom is not the happiest with the new hobby. I think it's great.
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #318
S76
1984 CJ7 

I finally took a look at the skid plate and transmission mount today. I've been avoiding it because I figured nothing is going to line up due to the engine swap.

Well I started one bolt at a time and the next thing I knew it was all bolted in. Everything lined up perfectly. Well, as perfectly as any Jeep skid plate goes in. Why does that skid plate have to hang over the edges like that. Looks stupid. And it looks like factory drive shafts will work.

And I put the starter in too. To most people that is a 2 minute job. But I had to turn the crank little by little and put anti-seize on all the flywheel teeth. It makes the starter so much quieter when you do that. For a while anyway.

Tomorrow we start shimming axles.
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #319
ironmike1700

Can't wait for my ride. Showed the posting to your mom she laughed in agreement. Not the happiest but she will be okay with it one of these days!! Our toys are so fun!!!!
ironmike1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #320
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
Tomorrow we start shimming axles.
What are you shimming, front or rear? I think I would save that for last when you have the full weight of the body and all accessories. You should also wait to tighten all the suspension components under full weight as well.

Paul
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #321
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
What are you shimming, front or rear? I think I would save that for last when you have the full weight of the body and all accessories. You should also wait to tighten all the suspension components under full weight as well.

Paul
Paul,

You are absolutely right! I just spent some time reading all the info on the Tom Woods drive shaft site and came to that same conclusion.

Thank you for mentioning it. I appreciate the input.

I think I'll redirect efforts into finishing taking apart the "VIN Tag" donner while the credit card cools off. I hate wrestling with rusted stuff but I do have to get that mess out of the yard.

Unread 09-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #322
S76
1984 CJ7 

Busy day today. I started with great intentions but got discouraged and am selling the Jeep.

For Sale:

1984 CJ7
Some assy required.

Just kidding! Took all day but it is mostly disassembled. Of course, way more rot on the tub than I thought. However I did find this interesting. If the gas tank is surrounded by this big huge skid plate does that mean it is a 20 gallon tank?

Got most of the mess cut up and loaded on the truck.

Now I need to find hiding places for the rest of the parts.
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #323
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Yep, 20 gallon tank! You gonna use the tub from the donar? Looks like a YJ tub.
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #324
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I look at those pics and part of me says wow those days were a lot of fun and the other part says am I glad I'm done with that part lol.
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #325
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Yep, 20 gallon tank! You gonna use the tub from the donar? Looks like a YJ tub.
Thanks Paul. That's what I wanted. And I have another one from some misc junk I picked up. Problem is the skid plate for it is no good. That great big tub and not a drain hole in it, except for the ones the rust made. What were they thinking! Guess I'll try to make one? Never saw one of those for sale aftermarket.

Yeah it is a YJ tub. Actually, all I am using off that CJ7 is the VIN tag, the tub, and the hard top.

We be rusty floor pan buddies now.
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #326
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
I look at those pics and part of me says wow those days were a lot of fun and the other part says am I glad I'm done with that part lol.
I hear that! Today was a tough day. Had to cut the heads off all of the body bolts. While cutting off the body mount bolts I can see a small flame and smell the rubber body mounts burning.............HEY WAIT THAT'S MY SNEAKERS! The whole day went like that.

The old frame actually broke in 2 as I lifted the body off.
Unread 09-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #327
S76
1984 CJ7 

Got the tub mounted in the rotisserie today.

The rotisserie is not at all happy with the situation. Beef up is in order.

And I got some do dads. 2 spare rims, Thanks Rob. Spark plug wire looms, 6 degree shims for the front axle caster, and a boot for the clutch fork.

Unread 10-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #328
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You have been ROCKIN' Dude! Nice work.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #329
S76
1984 CJ7 

Only took 4 hours of routing, re-routing, swapping, re-swapping, clamping, re-clamping:

But I got the plug wires on!

Can't wait till I start doing the Painless Harness. That will probably take months.
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #330
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Awesome job on the plug wires Bob, now I need to re-do mine so they look like that. What black clips are those that hold the wires and bolt thru to the valve covers? Thanks, oh and glad you could use the wheels..
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.