Starting to Begin - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #301
rplivin
1985 CJ7 

Which tie rod flip did you use I am going to order some.

rplivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #302
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplivin View Post
Which tie rod flip did you use I am going to order some.
I used these from Ken Thompson. I studied them all and (to me) this one seemed the best. If you cut an accurate 3/4 hole the bushing just drops in. It has a small lip to hold the correct position, and it has a slit down the side. When you tighten the TRE (tie rod end) it expands the bushing so all 3 pieces are locked together. No welds to rely on.

In my case I went straight for a 3/4 drill, but it vibrated and wobbled it's way through and the hole ended up a tad over sized, which casued the TRE to sit inside deeper than ideal when tightened. If I had to do it again I would ream to 3/4 and it would fit perfect, as advertised.

http://blackmagicbrakes.com/Jeep_Co-Op.php
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #303
S76
1984 CJ7 

Started early today. First order of business was to get this trans/xfer case out of the basement and into the garage.

I didn't know if I could lift it and get it into the wheel barrow but it went easier than I thought.

Started on the back of the motor. 2 trips down town sourcing bolts and a clutch alignment tool.

Once in the garage I had the engine hoist to lift with so that was easy. And by the way, rachett straps are the best things.

It fell right into place, full engagement and I did not have to cut down the trans input like some say. Measured it all before assy and I had 1/4 to spare.

And the stock rear drive shaft looks like it would fit, if it wasn't rusted half way through.

Now there are so many things to do I don't know where to begin! But that's a good thing.
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #304
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I love watching this all come together. I also remember loving the feeling of getting all the parts I had scattered everywhere bolted on and getting done extra room to work
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #305
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
I love watching this all come together. I also remember loving the feeling of getting all the parts I had scattered everywhere bolted on and getting done extra room to work
Exactly. 2 days ago I couldn't walk across my garage there was so many parts scattered about. It is starting to open up now.
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #306
ironmike1700

Looking great bob!! Hey everything else gets a paint job except the tranny? Lol I love it!!
ironmike1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #307
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike1700 View Post
Looking great bob!! Hey everything else gets a paint job except the tranny? Lol I love it!!
Yeah the tranny is bugging me too big time. I cleaned and painted it with clear coat so it wouldn't corrode. But it doesn't look very good. I think I'll mask it off and spray it.

My luck someone walking by will trip and fall down, and look up and see that trans. How embarrassing that would be.
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #308
S76
1984 CJ7 

Got a little more done.

Put on the Super Winch hubs.

Put the shocks on but don't have any bolts for them.

And started to figure out this skid plate thing. But gave up. Enough for today.

Unread 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #309
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

OH MY....

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #310
S76
1984 CJ7 

Not much progress today. Ran around for hardware and finished up the shocks, bolted in the sway bar, and put the valve covers on. Then I studied the trans mount for a while. Gave up and mowed the lawn.

I ordered a distributor gear that won't eat my roller cam, and the poly mounts for the transmission and anti-torque bar.

That's about it.
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #311
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

lazy-butt....

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #312
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
lazy-butt....
Ah, you sound like my wife.
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #313
S76
1984 CJ7 

Progress at a near stand still. I fought all yesterday with Crane Cams over the cam gear they sent me that doesn't fit. Seems I now have an $80 paper weight. Grrrr. But I got the distributor in and some wires mocked up. Waiting for wire looms to tidy up that mess. Got the carb on. It is the original 600 CFM carb that came on the 1984 Mustang but it works good, or at least it did a few years ago.

Picked up a reman starter and painted it clear so it won't rust.......as quickly.

And started to measure angles. Seems I will need a 6* shim in the front for the caster. Can't figure out the drive shaft angles until I get the tranny mounts in, but it doesn't look to radical at this point.

Back to work next week. Playtime is over for a while. But I am really happy with the amount of progress this week.

Unread 09-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #314
tp355z

As one of the few who has seen this thing in person, allow me to recommend the following emoticons...

(BYOSD = Bring Your Own Speedy Dry)
(If you show up early AM to see it)
(If you show up in the PM to see it)

(My mom's reaction to the credit card bills)

This is going to be THE nicest Jeep for miles and miles around. The build quality is just amazing.
tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #315
S76
1984 CJ7 

WAITING.

Waiting for the trans mounts to come.
Waiting for the plug wire looms to come.
Waiting for the front axle shims to come.
Waiting for the coil bracket to come.

Waiting for the flue to go away.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.