Starting to Begin - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Driving a CJ is certainly a revelation for us older gentlemen! But the looks you will get! The sound of that 5.0! Oh man... will you be turning heads!!!
The 302 has that nice "Cammy Idle" to it. If I can fit a couple of Flowmaster mufflers under there it will sound real good.

S76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
S76
1984 CJ7 

Great Day today! The frame is much better than I thought it was.

I hammered all over it with a welding hammer to find the soft spots. You can see how they show up in this pic:

I ended with only 2 spots on the inside of the RH frame rail that were bad. That frame rail I thought was full of rust was actually full of dirt. Here is the back hole:

And the LH frame rail had no soft spots in it. So I made 2 holes to get inside and clean it up. Surpizingly the tail sections were perfect.

This will be an easy frame repair compared to most.
Unread 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
tp355z

Looking good dad!

Figure I should introduce myself - I'm S76's son...the one donating the 320HP/300TQ 5.0 for his build. He put the motor together a decade ago and it's run like a top. If his Jeep build is half the quality of his small block builds it'll be the only Jeep left after the apocalypse.

I tried convincing him to fund a second 347 stroker build, but after he saw what I paid he decided against it :-P
tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #19
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
Right now my thoughts and general direction are:

Installing a 302 that I built out of my son's Mustang. 300 HP, carbed. Makes power at the high end. Not a trail rig for sure but this is going to be a street Princess/light trail rig anyway. It got 18/22 MPG in the Mustang so it should equal that in the Jeep.

It'll be a daily driver so rust prevention and paint protection will be top concerns. Going to use the hard top and hard doors.

I have the T176, Dana 300, Dana 30, and AMC 20 in the black Jeep I bought. I'll rebuild all the running gear, truss the 20, change to 1 piece axles, install 3:54 gears front and rear, and put disc brakes on the rear.

Changing to YJ OME springs and N95 shocks for a better ride and 2.5/3 inch lift. Maybe a 1 inch body lift if need be to clear 12:00/33's on aluminum 10x15 rims. I may use 32's. Depends on what fits. BF Mud Terrain tires, not that it'll be in the mud much but they look good. Hummer steering box and HD steering links.

Reupholster the interior and install carpets with velcro so they can be easily removed.

Other than that, I haven't thought about it much.

Remember. 3 months ago I couldn't spell Jeep. I've been reading this and other forums non stop and came up with these ideas. As a matter of fact, now that I think about, I've never even driven a Jeep. I guess it must be fun, no?
Wow! It's refreshing to see someone do a little research before posting. My compliments, Sir.

I love the way this thread is shaping up! I hope both Father and Son continue to post updates.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
S76
1984 CJ7 

^^^^^

Thanks Matt. Like I tell my boss, I ain't to clever, but I'm trainable.

Bob
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #21
S76
1984 CJ7 

And now an input request from the collective please:

That frame, to me looks to small for any road vehicle. Apparently I am wrong as there are milions out there, but it still looks better suited to a go-cart.

I would guess my frame has lost 5/10 percent of it's integrity due to overall interior corrosion. And, it seems the outer channel is thicker than the inner channel in most spots.

So, do you think I should plate the inside of the frame with 1/8" sheet metal? Would it strengthen it and be a good thing, or would that just create stress concentrations and be a bad thing? Or is it just not necessary?

Plating a frame does create a moisture trap like the double wall on the front fender so it is not all that desirable unless offset by some other advantage.

"Just like new" is the minimum standard on this build.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks

Bob
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #22
LargeAl
Dirt Gobbler

1979 CJ7 

Looks like this thread is going to be both fun and informative...if ya don't mind I think I'll follow along and see if I can't put another wrinkle on the brain (which I can actually put to good use unlike all the other ones I've accumulated over the years!)

This is my second Jeep and I also jumped head first into the welding world not knowing the first thing about it. Started off with a HF mig welder and completed a couple upgrade mods on it and turned out to be a pretty good sheet metal machine. But I knew for anything suspension or frame work I'd be outta luck. So I broke down and bought a Hobart 210 MVP and now have the best of both worlds. But I'm still very much a "student" when it comes to all things welding.

Good luck with the build...I'll be popping in from time to time to check on your progress.

Al
LargeAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #23
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeAl View Post
Looks like this thread is going to be both fun and informative...if ya don't mind I think I'll follow along and see if I can't put another wrinkle on the brain (which I can actually put to good use unlike all the other ones I've accumulated over the years!)

This is my second Jeep and I also jumped head first into the welding world not knowing the first thing about it. Started off with a HF mig welder and completed a couple upgrade mods on it and turned out to be a pretty good sheet metal machine. But I knew for anything suspension or frame work I'd be outta luck. So I broke down and bought a Hobart 210 MVP and now have the best of both worlds. But I'm still very much a "student" when it comes to all things welding.

Good luck with the build...I'll be popping in from time to time to check on your progress.

Al
Thanks Al.

I think welding is like sheet-rocking. You have to do about a 1000 hours of it before you progress to terrible. LOL
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you want a nice clean frame, get one of these! http://throttledownkustoms.com/
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #25
tp355z

My intuition tells me...

1. Depending on where/how you distribute the plates you likely can strengthen / stiffen the frame quite a bit without sacrificing flex. I'd start with sketches and a basic force diagram of where the axles / drive train act on the frame. Obviously, poor distribution could make spots that are supposed to flex, incapable of doing so...that'd be bad.

Besides, exactly how much "flex" do you expect this trailer queen to see on paved roads...

Our family history of garage projects goes something like this:
1. Start with reasonable expectations and budget on a new project
2. Exceed both within 1 month
3. Realize the project vehicle is likely to be a trailer queen
4. Finish vehicle
5. Sell said vehicle to start a more "reasonable project" since, hell, it's too clean to drive
6. Proceed to step 1

You better just finish this Jeep in primer. I don't want to have to post bail for you after some little old lady pushes a shopping cart into it.
tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #26
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
If you want a nice clean frame, get one of these! http://throttledownkustoms.com/
Yeah, I looked at them. They are way stronger than stock and I wanted one bad.

Then I learned to spell OVERBUGET!
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #27
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp355z View Post
My intuition tells me...

1. Depending on where/how you distribute the plates you likely can strengthen / stiffen the frame quite a bit without sacrificing flex. I'd start with sketches and a basic force diagram of where the axles / drive train act on the frame. Obviously, poor distribution could make spots that are supposed to flex, incapable of doing so...that'd be bad.

Besides, exactly how much "flex" do you expect this trailer queen to see on paved roads...

Our family history of garage projects goes something like this:
1. Start with reasonable expectations and budget on a new project
2. Exceed both within 1 month
3. Realize the project vehicle is likely to be a trailer queen
4. Finish vehicle
5. Sell said vehicle to start a more "reasonable project" since, hell, it's too clean to drive
6. Proceed to step 1

You better just finish this Jeep in primer. I don't want to have to post bail for you after some little old lady pushes a shopping cart into it.
WOW! You know me too well. I bought a brand new truck once and sold it after 10 months because I couldn't stand to use it and get it dirty.

And yes, I have been through the 6 step plan on several occasions. This is just one more iteration of it.
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #28
dechlin
1980 CJ7 

Glad to see another guy from ct doing a build. Ive been searching for a good frame for a while on craigslist myself. Im goona subscribe to this thread.
dechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #29
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechlin View Post
Glad to see another guy from ct doing a build. Ive been searching for a good frame for a while on craigslist myself. Im goona subscribe to this thread.
Hey dechlin,

I'm not sure there are any good frames < $2800. But there are frames out there that are not too bad and can be reapired. If you are building a Jeep, you must already know the first 2 tools needed in the tool box is a can of PB Blaster to take it apart and a welder to put it together.
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #30
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
The 302 has that nice "Cammy Idle" to it. If I can fit a couple of Flowmaster mufflers under there it will sound real good.
You can..

Any pics of the 302 and Stang?
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.