Starting to Begin - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #271
S76
1984 CJ7 

I really thought I was going to assemble both differentials today. NOT. Ran around getting the rear axle bearings pressed on. Ran around getting hardware etc. Spent way to much time grinding and shimming the rear axle bearings.

But it is almost done. Just need to bolt the other side together.

Oh, and get this. I spent months deciding on what I thought would be the best tire for my usage. I decided on the Mickey Thompson ATZ. Now that I can see this thing getting on it's feet soon I order the tires. OBSOLETE. Nobody has them. The replacement is the ATZ P3. Similar. Slightly more aggressive looking and a 3 ply sidewall for the off roading that I won't do much of. They are on their way.

Unread 08-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #272
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Geeeez, that's purdy.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #273
S76
1984 CJ7 

Made progress today. Finished up the rear dif. ( Bad picture sorry.)

And got a start on the front.

ARP bolts came so I can put the 5.0 together. Spent 9 hrs a day out there for the last few days and things are coming together very well. Super excited.

Unread 09-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #274
S76
1984 CJ7 

Took way more time than I had figured but finally this is done.

And this is done except for one problem. The big dif cover and the big tie rod hit when at max turn. I either have to remove some steering at the full stops, or do a tie rod flip. Haven't figured that out yet.

Then I started to put the engine together. Lots of the ARP bolts don"t fit on the front end because this is now a franken engine.

And the junk yard accessories brackets I got are not fitting to good. The power steering bracket hits the fuel pump, that the donner vehicle didn't have, and a few other problems. I'll work more on that tomorrow.

Unread 09-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #275
tp355z

Lookin' good pops! Let me know when it's time to flip the frame.

Nice thing about 4x4 builds: you can see the undercarriage bling. lol
tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #276
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Found it again. I ran across this thread a few weeks back but couldn't remember the name so I couldn't finish reading thru it. Nice work, detailed and fast.... holy cow your crusin' right along with this build. But your not cutting corners, that's good. Great job.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #277
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Found it again. I ran across this thread a few weeks back but couldn't remember the name so I couldn't finish reading thru it. Nice work, detailed and fast.... holy cow your crusin' right along with this build. But your not cutting corners, that's good. Great job.
Thanks Renegade!

I'm pretty obsessed with it at this point. Spending all day in the garage and all night on the computer ordering the next thing I'll need. It's getting exciting now. I hope to have it on it's feet in the next couple of weeks.

Unread 09-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #278
S76
1984 CJ7 

Well I decided I need to go with the tie rod flip. Not so much because it will retain my full steering capabilities, but mostly because the bar is blocking my JEEP logo dif cover. Can't have that. lol

I decided to go with this kit from Ken Thompson at the Jeep Co-op. I studied them all and this seemed to me to have the best mechanical integrity combined with ease of installation.

http://blackmagicbrakes.com/Jeep_Co-Op.php

Parts on order!
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #279
S76
1984 CJ7 

More running around town chasing bolts and things. This is my local parts chaser. It's a hoot!

Unread 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #280
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Are those the stock e7 heads? What cam? Looking good bob
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #281
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
Are those the stock e7 heads? What cam? Looking good bob
I don't know what heads they are. Whatever came stock on a 1984 Mustang GT. But when I built this engine 10 years ago I hand ported them and we installed chevy 1.94/1.60 valves. The cam is a roller Crane that makes power above 4K. That should be ideal for a Jeep right? LOL
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #282
S76
1984 CJ7 

Got the engine mocked up this morning, chased around for bolts, and started permanent assy this afternoon. Pan and front end is mostly on. should be able to finish it in another day or so.

Odd yellow light for some reason. It is supposed to be silver ish.

But alas, work has again raised it's ugly head so no Jeep work for the next 2 days.

Called and checked on the tires. Shipping direct from Mickey Thompson in 3 days. Can't wait to see them on the rims.
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #283
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

My wife would love that bike. She had one of those CB125's in a light blue, not sure of the year. She had it as a teenager and then it sat for years. I had got it running once but not for long. Then it sat again for years and she sold it to the neighbors grandson. She mentioned it the other day and wished she still had it. (not sure why???)

I know what you mean about the obsession. I wish I had that kind of time to put into my build. Heck I might be driving it by now. It's def. a labor of love!
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #284
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
My wife would love that bike. She had one of those CB125's in a light blue, not sure of the year. She had it as a teenager and then it sat for years. I had got it running once but not for long. Then it sat again for years and she sold it to the neighbors grandson. She mentioned it the other day and wished she still had it. (not sure why???)

I know what you mean about the obsession. I wish I had that kind of time to put into my build. Heck I might be driving it by now. It's def. a labor of love!
I got the bike a couple years ago from a friend. I rebuilt and painted it. It's a 1973. Fun. I have another 1966 Honda 90 in pieces waiting for the treatment.

Unread 09-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #285
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Okay maybe I missed this...... but I'm gonna assume your either retired or laid off. One project at a time is all I can handle and that's takin' forever!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.