Starting to Begin - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #241
S76
1984 CJ7 

Really fun day today.

You know, sometimes you spend so much time doing prep work and little things that it seems you are getting nowhere. Well today was the point when you actually start getting somewhere.

We left off with this MORE steering mount dilemma.

So reading on the forum I realized the MORE mount goes on top of the shackle hangar. That leaves the back end up in the air. OK. So I spent an hour or so making a spacer out of 1/4 plate to fill the void. Then, when I mounted the Humma steering box to the mount, I realized there were 5 mounting spacers and I only needed 4. Well, the spacer that was left over was the exact size to fill the void! Duh.....

One of these days I am going turn over a new leaf and start reading the directions............................Nah. Anyone can do it that way.

I got the box all in. Drilled the extra mounting hole in the xmember and installed the side brace. That thing ain't going nowhere!

Put in the "Bomb Proof" motor mounts, and yes I did start to install them upside down, because the frame is upside down, and that's a lot of thinking for an old guy.

Put on the shock towers and misc stuff.

I used all new CAD plated hardware and our best friend, Anti Seize. Actually it will be your best friend in about 10 years, but right now it is making a mess. I am covered with da stuff.

AND, to make a good day better the clutch and pressure plate showed up from Rocky Road. (cuz that's the only place I found that sells the pieces separately.) You need a Chevy Clutch disc and a Ford Pressure Plate.

Of course the disc is made in Taiwan. That thing will frag for sure removing half my right foot and the aluminum bell housing will be no help. (I tend to be a pessimist.)

Tomorrow off to the junk yard to get the front end, pulley and brackets and stuff, off of a small block.

Unread 07-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #242
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Nice job bob, now your getting to the good stuff.
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #243
tp355z

I'm not sure if the Jeep-boys have a specific accessory setup they prefer - but remember that the 302 from the Mustang has a reverse rotation water pump!

And while we're on the motor subject - what are your plans for monitoring...
1. Coolant Temp
2. Oil Pressure
3. System Voltage
etc

I can't imagine that the stock Jeep gauges have much resolution...is there a clever place to hide some 2-5/8" Autometer gauges in the cabin?
tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #244
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp355z View Post
I'm not sure if the Jeep-boys have a specific accessory setup they prefer - but remember that the 302 from the Mustang has a reverse rotation water pump!

And while we're on the motor subject - what are your plans for monitoring...
1. Coolant Temp
2. Oil Pressure
3. System Voltage
etc

I can't imagine that the stock Jeep gauges have much resolution...is there a clever place to hide some 2-5/8" Autometer gauges in the cabin?

I'm just going to use (new) stock gauges. The CJ7's have a stand alone oil pressure and volt meter in the dash. And the temp is in the main cluster.

But I will install that fuel mixture meter like you have. That is a nice tuning aid.
__________________________________________________ ___________
The junk yard has 3 pickups with 351's in them and they each have 3 slightly different serpentine belt setups. All the serpentine setups will work with the reverse flow water pump. I just need to go do some measuring to see what works the best.
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #245
S76
1984 CJ7 

Made it to the Junk Yard today and found a donner F250 to get all the engine accessories off. I'll go back tomorrow to remove them.

But while I was there I was amazed at their antique metal chopper and the car running it.

A Junk Yard is not a good place for me to be. I want everything they have!

I found a 1982/83 Scrambler with 70K on it that was not bad. (Body was Junk) It has the T177 trans and D300 Transfer case, $250 for both. Think I'll get those for spares.
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #246
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Bob, if your interested I have all the brackets from a truck 5.0 if you need. Already stripped & painted. I ended up not using them because I found all the brackets I needed from a Mustang 5.0.

I also have the PS bracket and pump

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #247
S76
1984 CJ7 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awwww! I would have taken them in a heart beat. I just got home with all the stuff from the yard. RATS!

Thank you for the offer though.

Why did you prefer the Mustang set up? Is it more compact or something?

I hope my truck stuff will work??????????
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #248
S76
1984 CJ7 

Awesome day at the Junk Yard. It's just a little place but I managed to spend the first hour just walking around looking at...........junk.

I pulled the accessories and brackets off a pickup. No problem.

Then I found a 70K mile 84 Scrambler with a Tremec T177 and D 300. That's what I have now all rebuilt and ready to go, but it will be nice to have spares.

Typical New England. A low mileage vehicle all full of holes from the salt. What a shame.

Also my dash is mess. They had a plow handle on it and it got all bent and cracked so I got the dash out of the scrambler. Had to take the steering wheel out to get the dash out so I took that too.

And a word to the wise. I bought a brand new flywheel from NAPA. Made in China. Great! Didn't trust it so I took it to have it machined and sure enough the stupid thing was .015 crooked. Most cast pieces we are getting today are China junk. Flywheel, rotors, etc. They all need to be turned in my experience.

I have tons of stuff to work on now.
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #249
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awwww! I would have taken them in a heart beat. I just got home with all the stuff from the yard. RATS!

Thank you for the offer though.

Why did you prefer the Mustang set up? Is it more compact or something?

I hope my truck stuff will work??????????
Yea everything seemed wider. The P/S pump was over more to the left, the alternator bracket on the right was bigger when I already bought the '95 Mustang alternator which I couldn't use with the truck bracket. I already had the mustang AC compressor and I couldn't use it with the truck brackets either. Hopefully you were able to get everything from the truck. I know my Stang PS pump right now is pretty close to the inner fender, but yours may be different. I know the MORE mounts which I have too bring the engine closer to the driver's side.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #250
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Yea everything seemed wider. The P/S pump was over more to the left, the alternator bracket on the right was bigger when I already bought the '95 Mustang alternator which I couldn't use with the truck bracket. I already had the mustang AC compressor and I couldn't use it with the truck brackets either. Hopefully you were able to get everything from the truck. I know my Stang PS pump right now is pretty close to the inner fender, but yours may be different. I know the MORE mounts which I have too bring the engine closer to the driver's side.
I also have the MORE engine mounts with the same sideways displacement. The brackets I got off the F250 were an aluminum casting for the left side and another for the right side. I got the PS pump, the A/C compressor, The AIR pump, the alternator, and all the pulleys and bolts. Hope it works.
Unread 07-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #251
S76
1984 CJ7 

Didn't get too much done today. Put all the junk yard pieces through the glass bead machine. That alternator is gonna have to come apart for sure now. LOL

Unread 07-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #252
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

In putting a Ford SB in a CJ the mounts really don't move the engine anywhere, side to side that is. The engine is offset 1" towards the driver's side but that's where the rest of the drivetrain already is. The pinion in the rear axle also sets there as does the transfer case and transmission. If mounts were made to center the engine then the drivetrain would be cocked. That means another angle for the u-joints to contend with. I would say if you put any other engine, non AMC, in a CJ it would be sitting closer to the driver's side too. Glad to see someone else using the Ford SB in a CJ
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #253
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I'm glad to see that a helicopter mechanic can get covered in anti-seize! I get it everywhere, even trying to be neat!

So the metal chopper is driven by the tire on a FWD car?? That's cool! Never have seen that before.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #254
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
In putting a Ford SB in a CJ the mounts really don't move the engine anywhere, side to side that is. The engine is offset 1" towards the driver's side but that's where the rest of the drivetrain already is. The pinion in the rear axle also sets there as does the transfer case and transmission. If mounts were made to center the engine then the drivetrain would be cocked. That means another angle for the u-joints to contend with. I would say if you put any other engine, non AMC, in a CJ it would be sitting closer to the driver's side too. Glad to see someone else using the Ford SB in a CJ
Jim,

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought the factory motor was centered and the MORE mounts moved the 302 over to make room.

I have learned so much from this forum since I started reading in here a few months ago.
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #255
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
So the metal chopper is driven by the tire on a FWD car?? That's cool! Never have seen that before.
I thought that was the coolest thing. Apparently metal prices are down right now so they spend most of their time cutting and sorting. They take 275 gal oil drums and lay them on their side, then cut the top side off and fill them with the different metals. When the prices move up they will cash in.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.