Starting to Begin - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #211
agear
1984 CJ7 

I really like the greasable hangers.

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.

Last edited by agear; 06-30-2013 at 11:35 AM..
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #212
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agear View Post
I really like the greasable hangers.
Those hangars are the reason I bought my stuff from Rocky Road. They were "back" greasable, built much stronger than stock, and they give you another 1/2 inch of lift. I will not be able to drive this Jeep with squeeky poly bushings so the greasable part was important to me.

Rocky Road is an odd company to work with. I called, told them what I wanted, and it did all come, with some on back order. But you don't get an email reciept, tracking number, nothing at all. They couldn't even tell me what the actual price would be because they didn't know the shipping for the springs from OME to me.

But their prices seemed reasonable and it did all come in due time.
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #213
S76
1984 CJ7 

Hard even for me to believe but I am still working on these wheels and dif. covers. I put the black polyurethane on the dif. covers today and now they and the rims are ready for the clear. Hoping to get that done tomorrow, but the humidity is very high and I don't want the paint to blush and go flat. Maybe I can set up a dehumidifier in the garage?

Unread 06-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #214
S76
1984 CJ7 

All set up in the garage. Had the dehumidifier running for a couple hours while I mowed the lawn. I put the first coat on and am waiting for it to tack up.

The first coat doesn't look too bad, but there are some areas of Fish Eye even though I used the metal preps they said to use on aluminum, wiped it down with lacquer thinner and again with prep solve. I think when a surface is polished like this it is just to smooth? I don't know.

Hopefully the next coat will lay better. And not peel in 6 months.
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #215
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Those look awesome, very nice work.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #216
S76
1984 CJ7 

I set up the painting assembly line in the garage. The dehumidifier worked great.

3 coats, a couple of runs, and some fisheye later.

Dif covers came out perfect, no fisheye at all.

But I got a couple of spots like this on the rims.

From 5 ft away you can't see the blemishes. Oh well, not perfect, but it was the best I could do. Thankfully, now I can move on to something less stressful.

Ha ha. That's what I said when I finished the frame.
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #217
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Those diff covers are unbelievable! I know most people paint theirs and add some nice bolts but you took that to a whole new level! Looks great! Rob
robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #218
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Wow is all I can say. You did a great job on those rims, I cant believe those came off my parts jeep. Keep up the great work
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #219
S76
1984 CJ7 

Thanks guys. That is actually a bad pic of the rim. I'll take them outside and get a better pic in the sunlight when they dry.

Next step is to clean up the horrific mess I made buffing in the basement and then to clean up the garage so I can start fresh hanging the springs.

Hopefully by then my axles will be done.
Unread 06-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #220
tp355z

Hey dad! Those covers and rims look amazing!! I can't wait to see them.

Wait, that's going to be in 5 minutes...I'm coming over to return some tools I borrowed :-P
tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #221
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

Nice job on the wheels and diff covers! You don't see something like that everyday on a Jeep and they look great!
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #222
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8ya View Post
Nice job on the wheels and diff covers! You don't see something like that everyday on a Jeep and they look great!
Thanks motiv8ya.

Hindsight is crystal clear, and knowing now what I didn't know then is that doing those rims took me forever. This would be a great winter project if you already had a running usable Jeep. But to do something like that in the confines of a frame off restoration was probably not the best use of time. However, this isn't a race. Well, actually in my mind it is, but really it isn't. lol
Unread 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #223
S76
1984 CJ7 

Happy day today!

Not because I accomplished a whole lot of stuff. But this was the first step toward actually putting something together instead of just working pieces.

Today I finished my OME spring install.

I took about 16 man hours all together. Yeah, I know that's a long time, but all this bolt on stuff you buy never fits perfect. I spent a lot of time with the steel sleeves that go in the poly bushings getting them just the right length so you could tighten the pivot bolt full tight, and it would crush the poly bushings just a bit, yet not too much. For reference the sleeves ended up about 1/8" shorter than the bushings giving 1/16" of clamp up on each side.
Another thing was the spring hangers did not face the fixed hangers exactly. So a lot of time was spent with a string and filing the mounting holes to get an exact alignment. This hanger/shackle set up is super heavy duty using 9/16" pivot bolts. The factory used just 3/8". Anyway, its done.

Front Hangers

Rear Hangars

Next job is to get this junk all cleaned and painted for when the axles come back. If they ever come back..............

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #224
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Everything looks beefy. Its going to be solid. You are going to need some winter wheels. Those are way too nice for snow and salt.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #225
S76
1984 CJ7 

Hey Rob. Every surface of the wheels are covered with polyurethane paint so I'm hoping that does the trick to keep the corrosion at bay.

Time will tell.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.