Starting to Begin - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #196
tp355z

347 installed - another few hours and it'll be ready to fire.

S76 requested I post a pic

100_2190.jpg  
tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #197
S76
1984 CJ7 

Hey that looks awesome. That thing should run like a raped ape in a forest fire.

Make sure you clamp those heater hoses to the shock tower to stop the motor vibrations from reaching the heater core. Those heater core pipes will crack for sure in time. And we both know that to change the heater core the entire dash has to come out.

Ford surely gave you enough options with all the holes to hook them to.

And get this, when he is done that thing will still look like the day it came out of the factory. Tons of mods that you can't tell by looking at it. Stealth mods you might say.

Love it.
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #198
S76
1984 CJ7 

There are two things I really hate. The first thing is that it seems every time I try to do something, or fix something, or get a a part for something, it is always:

"They don't make them any more."

"Your model won't work that way, the other ones do though."

"In those years they were all bad."

"That company is out of business."

"I've never had any luck fixing them."

So I talked to a rim refinishing company and told him I had these old Western "Turbine" wheels and asked if he could cut the face a few thousands on a CNC machine. And he says:

"I've tried that a couple of times on those rims. But the type of cast aluminum they are made out of just doesn't shine up very good at all. Customers are usually unhappy so I don't do them any more."

So before I give up and paint the polished parts silver or something I decide to try polishing them myself.

Which brings me to the second thing I really hate:

When they are right!

I've been polishing on the first wheel for a week in my spare time trying every different method I can think of. So far I've been met with limited success. With an extensive effort they polish up to the point of being mediocre. No mater how much I work at it they still look milky.

But I haven't given up yet.

Unread 05-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #199
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Seems like you need to find you some new, better, and different rims! Same style, just mo' better. Those rims obvisouly won't ever measure up to the primo level of superior finish you are expecting. They are junk. Face it. I am willing to accept them on behalf of the "Old Rims of the United States", Chapter S.O.A.R. (Save Our Aging Rims). For a simple shipping fee you can ship them directly to our southeast office where we distribute the rims to part of the country with the least significant tonnage, AND it's tax deductible! Sooo... what are you waiting for? Make some new garage space. Quit risking a bad case of tennis elbow. End the chronic problem of cramped, crooked fingers. Remove the squelching burden of defeat from your shoulders! Contact me now! Operators are standing by...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #200
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Seems like you need to find you some new, better, and different rims! Same style, just mo' better. Those rims obvisouly won't ever measure up to the primo level of superior finish you are expecting. They are junk. Face it. I am willing to accept them on behalf of the "Old Rims of the United States", Chapter S.O.A.R. (Save Our Aging Rims). For a simple shipping fee you can ship them directly to our southeast office where we distribute the rims to part of the country with the least significant tonnage, AND it's tax deductible! Sooo... what are you waiting for? Make some new garage space. Quit risking a bad case of tennis elbow. End the chronic problem of cramped, crooked fingers. Remove the squelching burden of defeat from your shoulders! Contact me now! Operators are standing by...

"That right there is funny, I don't care who you are."
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #201
S76
1984 CJ7 

On a brighter note. After a week's worth of polishing, a few hours here and there I think I got it! Not perfect, but not too bad. They will loose some shine when I clear them though.

Only 3 left to go.........
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #202
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Well... I'm proud of the first one.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #203
richf01
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Build, didn't notice you were in CT too until I was almost halfway through and saw those snow pictures. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I'm almost done with my budget 77 CJ5 down in Wallingford.
richf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #204
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf01 View Post
Nice Build, didn't notice you were in CT too until I was almost halfway through and saw those snow pictures. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I'm almost done with my budget 77 CJ5 down in Wallingford.
Thanks rich.

Knowing now, what I didn't know then, I wish I had done a CJ5. I like the door openings better and they can take wider tires and rims without sticking way out of the body.

We'll have to get together and compare notes.
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #205
richf01
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I did a 82 before this one. Looked really nice, so I was never comfortable taking it off-road, always afraid of wrecking it. Yours looks like it will be a bit more rugged than mine was, I attached a pic.

I don't think I'll have a problem with the CJ5, the PO completely cover the tub with diamond plate.
1899_1075482208096_4733_n.jpg  
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #206
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Wow richf01, that is a beautiful cj. I would not want to take that off rd either.
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #207
dechlin
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
I did a 82 before this one. Looked really nice, so I was never comfortable taking it off-road, always afraid of wrecking it. Yours looks like it will be a bit more rugged than mine was, I attached a pic.

I don't think I'll have a problem with the CJ5, the PO completely cover the tub with diamond plate.
this looks familiar I saw one driving around north haven last summer i think
dechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #208
richf01
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sold it on ebay to guy in NY.
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #209
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:

WOW! That's a pretty Jeep. Hope mine comes out similar.

I am still sitting in the basement polishing those mags. Almost finished #3 today and the compressor blew the line between the compressor and the tank.

I'm averaging about 12 man hours per wheel to polish the shinny part.

It's OK though because I am still waiting on my axles and it has been raining for the last 2 weeks so this is a good time filler.
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #210
S76
1984 CJ7 

Oh. One other thing. I finally decided on my tires. I am going with the Mickey Thompson ATZ tires, 33 x 12.50 x 15.

I picked those because they are Load range C. Many of the others were D and E and that is pretty stiff for a little Jeep. They get mostly good reviews. Although they don't look it in the pic they look much more aggressive in real life. They weigh about 10 lbs less than the D and E rated tires. They are sort of half way between and AT and a MT tire. And they are sipped so they should be better in the rain.

I'll order these as soon as I finish these dog gone wheels.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.