Starting to Begin - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #181
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
Bob, I haven't gotten a chance to get those lug nuts in the mail yet but I promise I will next week. Hope all is well and looking forward to seeing some suspension work
Don't bother Steve, I got my Jegs package today. All new lug nuts and wheel centers.

Thank you though.

Unread 05-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #182
S76
1984 CJ7 

I doesn't mater what I plan to get done it just never turns out that way. Today I was going to start some suspension installation. Then I got looking at the OME springs and decided to do the paint test on them. I took a rag and soaked it with laquer thinner. I rubbed the spring with the rag and the paint dissolved immediately. Gotta repaint.

I glass beaded the rims last night so as long as I am mixing paint I may as well tape them off and paint them too. So I spent the whole day taping off the rims and getting the stuff ready for paint.

I did get the springs, rear shackles, and the rims painted with the same poly urethane paint I used on the frame.

You guessed it! Shiny Black. Pics tomorrow when the paint dries.
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #183
S76
1984 CJ7 

Yesterday I got busy painting the springs, rear shackles, and wheels. I painted the back and inside of the wheels because I plan to drive this through the winter and the salt, or whatever it is they are using that's 10 times worse than salt, will eat these up fast. Also, some of these older rims can get porous spots in them that will cause a leak so the paint will seal it all up.

This is the primer I use for these odds and ends. Makes paint stick to everything including plastic. "Bulldog"

Springs and things:

And wouldn't you know it, after I painted the rear shackles, I came out to look today and they slid together and dried that way. "That's gonna leave a mark."

So here is the face of the rims still taped.

Here it is with the tape off, the new lug nuts, and centers. Those are American racing centers but I am going to take that emblem off and replace is with a 4x4 sticker. Or maybe an AMC sticker, or something. Now, the aluminum part is still glass beaded. I need to polish that to a chrome like finish and clear coat it. That will be the tedious part.

But when they are done they should look like this: (I hope)

Unread 05-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #184
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Amazing work Bob.
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #185
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
Amazing work Bob.
Thanks Steve. Couldn't have done it without your wheels.
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #186
S76
1984 CJ7 

Great Day today!

Brown Santa came with my "Outlaw Differential covers." These are really thick aluminum cast covers complete with stainless hardware, and black RTV.

The reason I chose these is because I can sand down the ridges and polish them like the wheel spokes, paint the body black and clear the ridges, and the diff covers will not only match the wheels but will be totally coated to protect from salt.
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #187
ironmike1700

Your so smart bob :-)

You think of everything
ironmike1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #188
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike1700 View Post
Your so smart bob :-)

You think of everything
Hard to tell if that's sarcasm or not, but, for me I enjoy doing the little subtle things on a vehicle that people don't really notice until the second walk around it, if at all.

If I could disguise the 5.0 to look like an AMC inline 6 I would.
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #189
ironmike1700

I like all that detail most overlook n never see.
ironmike1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #190
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike1700 View Post
I like all that detail most overlook n never see.
X2! My mom always said it's whats inside that counts.

Seriously, Great idea, lots of work but worth the effort.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #191
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
X2! My mom always said it's whats inside that counts.

Seriously, Great idea, lots of work but worth the effort.
Thanks,

I do have a plan. The good news here is I have a hernia operation in a week or so with the resulting week off from work. So I can sit at the work bench in the basement, drink coffee, watch TV, and polish these pieces.

I got this drum sanding kit to get the rough stuff off. No idea if this will work or not but worth a try. The rest will need to be done by hand unless I can dream up a better way.

Unread 05-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #192
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

After you drum sand those ribs on the covers, you may need to wetsand with 400, 600, 800,1000 and like 1200. Then you get some Mother's Mag & Alum polish and chuck one of these polishers below in a drill or your drill press and polish away. Same with the ribs on your wheels. You wetsand thru the grits, and after polishing they'll shine like glass. You can spend like 3-4hours per wheel, but its well worth the effort.

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #193
S76
1984 CJ7 

You hit the nail on the head Rob.

I've done some motorcycle wheels that way. 220, 400, 800, 1200, 1500 grit till your fingers fall off.

But due to the limited space on those wheels I use 2" cloth buffing wheels on a die grinder using jeweler's rouge. I'll investigate those buffers you reference. Thanks
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #194
tp355z

Looking good pops! Those rims and suspension parts look awesome. Keeps me inspired to maintain a high quality of build when I do things.

tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #195
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
You hit the nail on the head Rob.

I've done some motorcycle wheels that way. 220, 400, 800, 1200, 1500 grit till your fingers fall off.

But due to the limited space on those wheels I use 2" cloth buffing wheels on a die grinder using jeweler's rouge. I'll investigate those buffers you reference. Thanks
Sounds a lot like a knife makers typical day LOL!

Look for a sewn muslin wheel or even a sisal to start with the rouge. They will get in small areas and "get with it"!

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.