Starting to Begin - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 05-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #166
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
This ones for you Skerr:

This is the tool control program we have at work. It's not a good day when you leave a tool in an aircraft. So to prevent that from happening this is how it works.

Every tool box has a plastic plate on the front. When you open your tool box you flip the plate to read:

At the end of the shift you do a complete inventory of all the tools to make sure they are all accounted for and when that is complete you turn the plate back to read:

At the shift end someone checks all the tool boxes and cabinets to ensure all the plates read "Audit Complete."

Now, to make the audit process easier, faster, and fool proof all of the tool drawers look like this:

And if any tools are missing, (and every single thing has a spot right down to a pencil), it is easy to spot them because there is yellow foam under the blue foam and it shows up easily like this:

Neat Huh?

And yet my workbench at home still looks like:

And it's not likely to change.

Those are some beautiful tools! I love those rachets.

I know those are very expensive to purchase, but maintenence cost must catch the purchase price before too long. I cannot even imagine were insurance falls in the line.

WSS

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #167
dechlin
1980 CJ7 

S-76 I'm glad the axles were in good shape for u , well the housings anyway
dechlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #168
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Those are some beautiful tools! I love those rachets.

I know those are very expensive to purchase, but maintenence cost must catch the purchase price before too long. I cannot even imagine were insurance falls in the line.

WSS
The company bought and owns all the tools so every box is identical. We have 14 technicians. Each box is probably around $30K, just guessing. But like you said, compared to sending an airplane out to get the work done these boxes have paid for themselves many times over.
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #169
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechlin View Post
S-76 I'm glad the axles were in good shape for u , well the housings anyway
Thanks Eric,

There was one area that was pitted pretty deep but because I am putting a truss on I am not worried about it at all. These will work fine.

Thank You!
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #170
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
The company bought and owns all the tools so every box is identical. We have 14 technicians. Each box is probably around $30K, just guessing. But like you said, compared to sending an airplane out to get the work done these boxes have paid for themselves many times over.
What a deal LOL! That flex head 1/2" rachet is at least $250 new.

Oh ya, nice work on your build here!!!
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #171
S76
1984 CJ7 

Today was such an exciting day today for my son I just have to share.

Back on page 3 I was takling about some cars I had painted and I posted a pic of the orange Camero my son used to have 5 or 6 years ago. Then we went on to talking about the Mustang I sold him and now he's putting a bigger engine in it and that's were my 302 for the Jeep is coming from.

Now, even though he is busy getting the Mustang put back together with a 347 stroker. he is still wanting another Camero. You know, first hot rod, first love thing. So he has looked at about a dozen 80's IROC's and Z28's and none of them were as nice as his old one despite the high prices for the nicer pieces.

Well, in a converstaion with one of the sellers he says he wished he could find his old orange and white stripped car. That guy tells him he's seen one that fits the description in the next town over. Really?????????? So Tyler calls all the autoparts stores in that town asking permission to put up a wanted poster for the car. Everyone said no except NAPA.

So after work he heads to the NAPA in that town and on the way he spotted a glimpse of orange in a parking lot and decided to investigate. He can't believe it...............IT'S HIS CAR!!!!!!!! He finds the owner, who has hardley driven it, it was in a storage garage most of the time. And the owner has been thinking of selling it.

DONE DEAL! The car is now back at Tyler's house. Unbelievable. Today's photo:

What an incredible day!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #172
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

That is awesome! It's been a weird week for previous owners being reunited with their vehicles. Check out the experiences John316 has had with his CJ5 and VIN issues. Crazy!

Another great story! Thanks for sharing and I'm glad your son got his baby back!
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #173
S76
1984 CJ7 

Now back to the HEEP.

Life had been getting in the way big time lately with elderly care and I just can't make the progress I want. So in order for this mission is to proceede at a rate that doesn't bore me I had to make a comand decision to farm out some work. I took the 2 axles to a fellow nearby that does rear ends and transmissions for most of the stock cars at the speed way in town. He is the best. He's going to install the Master rebuild kits on both axles. On the "20" he is going to weld the tubes and put on Besrk's truss and install the Trutrac.

So that left me to start pulling apart the littler pieces. Today I took out the ball joints and u-joints. When I was done I had this pile of stuff ready to go to glass bead.

The u-joints looked original. Spicer's, without grease fittings, and they did not want to come out. I was afraid of pressing too hard and bending an axle ear so I cut out the center of the u-joint with a torch, heated around the cup a little and they tapped right out. This is how much I had to heat the u-joint to get it out. LOL

Then I cut out the centers of the brake backing plate to re-use them for the bearing retains as I have a disc brake set up going on.

And more excitement in that my other son picked up the turbine wheels I bought from 83vert when he was in Lon Giland this week.

I was super pleased to find they are 8.5 inch rims that will take 33x12.50's no problem. Thank you Steve. The next time you see these rims they will look like this: (I hope)

Unread 05-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #174
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingCJ View Post
That is awesome! It's been a weird week for previous owners being reunited with their vehicles. Check out the experiences John316 has had with his CJ5 and VIN issues. Crazy!

Another great story! Thanks for sharing and I'm glad your son got his baby back!
Just read that thread. Another amazing story. Thanks for sharing.
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #175
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Awesome bob, I'm looking forward to the rest of your build. I didn't get a chance to look the rims over after the tires were dismounted but I thought I saw a sfi sticker on one of them? Is there a date on the that sticker?
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #176
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
Awesome bob, I'm looking forward to the rest of your build. I didn't get a chance to look the rims over after the tires were dismounted but I thought I saw a sfi sticker on one of them? Is there a date on the that sticker?
Good idea. I looked and they all have stickers with a number of 0892XX. So I would guess they are 1989 rims. The 2XX numbers are somewhat sequential like 236, 234, 228, etc. so I would asume that to be the serial numbers.
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #177
S76
1984 CJ7 

The Detroit Trutrac showed up today so my differential guy can move forward on the axles.

If this Jeep turns out to be a piece of junk it certainly won't be due to lack of investment. I'm already 2X my initial guess for cost and I haven't started to put it together yet!. But it is great fun!
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #178
S76
1984 CJ7 

Got my shackle hardware back all set to go. Drilled through the bolts and put 6 transfer holes in the sleeves so the grease will get to the poly bushings. Note the sleve holes have been filed with a rat tail file so they don't cut into the poly. Hopefully I can get a little suspension assembly done this weekend.

Unread 05-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #179
ironmike1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76
Today was such an exciting day today for my son I just have to share.

Back on page 3 I was takling about some cars I had painted and I posted a pic of the orange Camero my son used to have 5 or 6 years ago. Then we went on to talking about the Mustang I sold him and now he's putting a bigger engine in it and that's were my 302 for the Jeep is coming from.

Now, even though he is busy getting the Mustang put back together with a 347 stroker. he is still wanting another Camero. You know, first hot rod, first love thing. So he has looked at about a dozen 80's IROC's and Z28's and none of them were as nice as his old one despite the high prices for the nicer pieces.

Well, in a converstaion with one of the sellers he says he wished he could find his old orange and white stripped car. That guy tells him he's seen one that fits the description in the next town over. Really?????????? So Tyler calls all the autoparts stores in that town asking permission to put up a wanted poster for the car. Everyone said no except NAPA.

So after work he heads to the NAPA in that town and on the way he spotted a glimpse of orange in a parking lot and decided to investigate. He can't believe it...............IT'S HIS CAR!!!!!!!! He finds the owner, who has hardley driven it, it was in a storage garage most of the time. And the owner has been thinking of selling it.

DONE DEAL! The car is now back at Tyler's house. Unbelievable. Today's photo:

What an incredible day!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sweet ride buddy can't wait for a spin!!
ironmike1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #180
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Bob, I haven't gotten a chance to get those lug nuts in the mail yet but I promise I will next week. Hope all is well and looking forward to seeing some suspension work

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.