Starting to Begin - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #151
tp355z

ROFLCOPTER Easily the most accurate and succinct response to the type of overthinking my father and I are famous for. However, it's this quality of work that makes Joe-garage stand in awe over the stuff that S76 puts together.

Dad - I'm with you that the bolt/sleeve shoudln't move, but that the sleeve/bushing should be your pivot.

In my mind, there's the eyelet of the spring that the bushing goes in, sooo...if someone offered a bushing with a grooved outside diameter, couldn't you drill/tap your spring and put a zerk fitting in it?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Lakewood/Lakew...44075/10002/-1

If you go to that link you can select a picture of the end of the arm - it shows the zerk fitting. My exact idea...ripped off from the LCAs I had on the IROC. lol

tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #152
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp355z View Post
ROFLCOPTER Easily the most accurate and succinct response to the type of overthinking my father and I are famous for. However, it's this quality of work that makes Joe-garage stand in awe over the stuff that S76 puts together.

Dad - I'm with you that the bolt/sleeve shoudln't move, but that the sleeve/bushing should be your pivot.

In my mind, there's the eyelet of the spring that the bushing goes in, sooo...if someone offered a bushing with a grooved outside diameter, couldn't you drill/tap your spring and put a zerk fitting in it?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Lakewood/Lakew...44075/10002/-1

If you go to that link you can select a picture of the end of the arm - it shows the zerk fitting. My exact idea...ripped off from the LCAs I had on the IROC. lol
Hold that thought boy, your not far off. Now I can tell the rest of the story......but first..
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #153
S76
1984 CJ7 

Firemanjim7,

You hit the nail on the head. Here is where my handle comes from.

This is a Sikorsky S-76 helicopter I work on. (Been working on these for the past 35 years)

Here are some pictures of a routine, yearly inspection. I love it when it is all in pieces.

Unread 05-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #154
S76
1984 CJ7 

OK. Back to the Shackles:

I got these shackle hangars that I really like from Rocky Road. They have a gease fitting to "back grease" the bushings just like you mentioned tp355z. (Ty)

And the pivot point is 1" further from the frame rail than stock so there is another 1/2" of total lift.

But Ty, I wouldn't drill and tap a grease fitting into the spring eye because it is made out of some kind of hard metal like......uh.......spring steel. You could drill it but I would be afraid of a crack originating at the hole. As it is they shot peen one side of each spring leaf for stress relief and crack supression. You don't wanna mess with them.

So then Rocky Road sends these kits to install the springs. This is just nuts!!!!!!

I get 6 big bolts that are grade 8 which is good, and six smaller bolts that are grade 8 but they are all METRIC! REALLY? And a mish mash of spacers, some short with big holes in them and some longer with smaller holes in them.

Now, the big bolts fit the factory holes on the frame for the springs fixed end perfectly. (Don't know why, because they are metric) But the big bolt will only fit through the short sleeve which is not long enough for that attach point.

In any event, I have 12 bolts. 6 big and 6 smaller. Each spring needs 4 bolts counting the one that goes in the middle of the shackle for support and all the shackle holes fit the big bolts perfectly so why I even have the 6 smaller bolts I have no clue.

Soooooooooooo..... I called Rocky Road and have a bunch more hardware and sleeves coming. Then I can drill them all for grease fittings and maybe move on to something else.

Just think, if shackles are this confusing to me how will I ever get driveshaft angles done?????
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #155
tp355z

You may want to try RC jeeps instead. Easier to work on and cheaper!
tamiya_jeep_wrangler_60.jpg  
tp355z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #156
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp355z View Post
You may want to try RC jeeps instead. Easier to work on and cheaper!
LOL. Yeah, why didn't you think of that before I started the ful size version.
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #157
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76
Firemanjim7,

You hit the nail on the head. Here is where my handle comes from.

This is a Sikorsky S-76 helicopter I work on. (Been working on these for the past 35 years)

Here are some pictures of a routine, yearly inspection. I love it when it is all in pieces.
Thanks for sharing! My brother-in-law flies one of those. Once mechanic, now pilot. I'm not a fan of flying, but enjoy seeing them.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #158
S76
1984 CJ7 

Ramblin. Good for him. He must be flying either for a Corporate operator, Medivac, or Offshore oil. Since you are from Texas I'm guessing offshore. ??????

Unread 05-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #159
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76
Ramblin. Good for him. He must be flying either for a Corporate operator, Medivac, or Offshore oil. Since you are from Texas I'm guessing offshore. ??????
Ha! You got it right down to the company and everything with that pic. He's living in CO and works out of LA. He's starting to fly the AW-139 currently.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #160
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
That is just freakin sick! No oil stains. Not even a single screwdriver left laying around! HOW, Man!?!? I can't DO IT!!!! Now I'm ashamed...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #161
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
That is just freakin sick! No oil stains. Not even a single screwdriver left laying around! HOW, Man!?!? I can't DO IT!!!! Now I'm ashamed...
Ha! That's nothing. Tomorrow I'll get you some even more over the top pics.

But in the meantime understand one thing, this is my work bench at home:

Unread 05-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #162
S76
1984 CJ7 

This ones for you Skerr:

This is the tool control program we have at work. It's not a good day when you leave a tool in an aircraft. So to prevent that from happening this is how it works.

Every tool box has a plastic plate on the front. When you open your tool box you flip the plate to read:

At the end of the shift you do a complete inventory of all the tools to make sure they are all accounted for and when that is complete you turn the plate back to read:

At the shift end someone checks all the tool boxes and cabinets to ensure all the plates read "Audit Complete."

Now, to make the audit process easier, faster, and fool proof all of the tool drawers look like this:

And if any tools are missing, (and every single thing has a spot right down to a pencil), it is easy to spot them because there is yellow foam under the blue foam and it shows up easily like this:

Neat Huh?

And yet my workbench at home still looks like:

And it's not likely to change.
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #163
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

That's pretty impressive. I can imagine your actual work day is only about 3 or 4 hours long, because you have to spend the remaining hours looking for the tools you laid down! At least, that's pretty much how it works for me! j/k

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #164
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76

And yet my workbench at home still looks like:

And it's not likely to change.
I don't see a problem with that bench at all. When I get home next week I'll post up a pic of my cluster-f of a bench. I clean the damn thing every couple weeks and yet somehow it always looks like the tool fairy took a big steaming dump on it.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #165
S76
1984 CJ7 

Back on course here................

Last week I got this pair of axles from dechlin.

And today I got around to breaking them down. The front was easy. But I was concerned about getting the hubs off the rear axles. All I had was a cheap Harbor Freight 3 jaw puller...........and a torch! I put the puller on and tightened it up and proceeded to heat the hub. After a few minutes it popped right onto the floor puller and all. Awesome!

But then I noticed the key way was sheared, and the axle was all gouged. This was a spun hub. Cool. I don't want it anyway. So I proceeded to the other side, set up the puller as tight as I could get it and started to heat the hub. It wouldn't budge until I heated it up about this much:

Then it came off no problem. I may have replace the axle seal as it got warmer than usual.

Lots of carnage after all this work:

Then the dreaded sand blast operation. Fogged up gogles, sand hitting me in the face, waiting for the poor old compressor to catch up. Wa Wa Wa! But finally it was done.

Now the mess in the driveway to clean up:

and a shower and we'll call it a day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.