Starting to Begin - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starting to Begin

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
S76
1984 CJ7 

Starting to Begin

I've been reading most everything I can on this forum for the last 3 months to educate myself on Cj's. Thanks to all for the great info.

I recently bought this fine specimen for $500. It could be a 1983, haven't figured that out yet.

I sold the plow for $400 so I'm not in too deep. Now I'm trying to get rid of the engine which only has 68K on it and is the best part of the whole Jeep.

So obviously this thing needs a frame off restoration. The frame is totally gone. But it has a newer YJ tub which looks pretty good. Fenders and grill are shot, and it has a AMC 20 out back and a 30 in the front with a T176. But a Jeep reastoration is not what I had intended to do. Furthest thing from my mind. Never owned or paid any attention to Jeeps at all.

Until a friend at work mentioned he had this old Jeep, and my son mentioned he is pulling out the 300HP 302 I recenty built for his Mustang, and I Googled Jeep/302 instal, and found out it is a popular swap. NOW you have my attention!

Internet photo:

Now this is getting my attention.

So I read for months on this site and learn that every Jeep owner is a welder. Maybe not a profesional welder, but it seems none of these Jeeps have a chance of survival without welding and cutting. OK. I'm up for that. But I can't weld .

I have been a helicopter mechanic for 33 years, and basic mechanicals I get, but we don't weld or cut helicopters. So I have to start somewhere. But where? YouTube! I watch all the YouTube videos on welding along with the Miller tutorials. Hmm. Doesn't look to hard. I give myself a passing grade on YouTube and now need to move on to the practical test.

So I get some metal and build this work bench complete with 1x1 underframe to work on the Jeep.

Today I finished building a rotisery to hold the frame, and then later on it will hold the tub.

I give myself a C- on welding school and am ready to start the Jeep.

I have scrounged up 2 frames. One is rotten on the bottom and one is rotten on the tail. Using the rotisery I hope to be able to make one out of the 2.

Here is one of the frames.

I haven't decided on the exact direction of this build. But it's gonna be RED.

Actual build thread to follow in a few months.

S76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Welcome to the Ford swap club. The internet photo you pulled up there is a JF member Hackfab's build.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

welcome to the fouum and get ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S76 View Post
I've been reading most everything I can on this forum for the last 3 months to educate myself on Cj's. Thanks to all for the great info.

I recently bought this fine specimen for $500. It could be a 1983, haven't figured that out yet.

I sold the plow for $400 so I'm not in too deep. Now I'm trying to get rid of the engine which only has 68K on it and is the best part of the whole Jeep.

So obviously this thing needs a frame off restoration. The frame is totally gone. But it has a newer YJ tub which looks pretty good. Fenders and grill are shot, and it has a AMC 20 out back and a 30 in the front with a T176. But a Jeep reastoration is not what I had intended to do. Furthest thing from my mind. Never owned or paid any attention to Jeeps at all.

Until a friend at work mentioned he had this old Jeep, and my son mentioned he is pulling out the 300HP 302 I recenty built for his Mustang, and I Googled Jeep/302 instal, and found out it is a popular swap. NOW you have my attention!

Internet photo:

Now this is getting my attention.

So I read for months on this site and learn that every Jeep owner is a welder. Maybe not a profesional welder, but it seems none of these Jeeps have a chance of survival without welding and cutting. OK. I'm up for that. But I can't weld .

I have been a helicopter mechanic for 33 years, and basic mechanicals I get, but we don't weld or cut helicopters. So I have to start somewhere. But where? YouTube! I watch all the YouTube videos on welding along with the Miller tutorials. Hmm. Doesn't look to hard. I give myself a passing grade on YouTube and now need to move on to the practical test.

So I get some metal and build this work bench complete with 1x1 underframe to work on the Jeep.

Today I finished building a rotisery to hold the frame, and then later on it will hold the tub.

I give myself a C- on welding school and am ready to start the Jeep.

I have scrounged up 2 frames. One is rotten on the bottom and one is rotten on the tail. Using the rotisery I hope to be able to make one out of the 2.

Here is one of the frames.

I haven't decided on the exact direction of this build. But it's gonna be RED.

Actual build thread to follow in a few months.
still dont understand what it is about these jeeps that will consume and compell you to finish the project,but you will like everyone else. hope your son has fun with it. hey what helos?. any UH1-H,N,Y or AH1-W,Z?.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
S76
1984 CJ7 

^^^ Thanks for the encouragement.

No, the son's not getting the Jeep. Unless it's in the "Will"

He got my Mustang and is swapping out the 302 and building a 347 (?) stroker.

So I'm getting my 302 back for the Jeep.
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Welcome to the Ford swap club. The internet photo you pulled up there is a JF member Hackfab's build.
Thanks Coiz. I found your build thread. Great job. Still looking for Hackfab's thread.

This is going to be fun!
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

You know, he might not have a build thread or it may be on another site. I was just familiar with his work because I got to know him while building mine. There are several good 5.0L swaps on here between mine, Exposed, Jim1611, CJ7ROB, mvbrady and a few others I'm sure I've missed. I'm sure you'll get plenty of help from everyone on the forum. Remember to take lots of pictures.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
S76
1984 CJ7 

It is time to start figuring out what frame to use. Neither is perfect. Just need to decide which is not as bad as the other. Here's how I moved the frames around.

Pulled it out of the snow:

And pushed it in the garage:

Love that truck!

But all that was interupted. I sold the 4.2 out of the Jeep. Now I have to remove it. So today I officially pulled the plug on the old girl. She did move under it's own power when I got it. But not anymore.

Back to frame work after this is sorted out.
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Looks like your on your way.Nice garage.Definately have a job ahead of you.Good Luck
Unread 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslywalker View Post
Looks like your on your way.Nice garage.Definately have a job ahead of you.Good Luck
Thanks. Yeah I am probably in over my head as usual. But it sure is fun swimming out that far.
Unread 01-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
S76
1984 CJ7 

Got the engine out and it's ready to be picked up by it's new owner.

I decide which frame to use and mounted it in the rotisserie.

Frame right side up!

Frame up side down!

Works good now. I had do some last minute re-engineering on the frame stands though. I made the arms that hold the frame 3 ft long and the feet on the foor 2 feet long. The thing kept wanting to fall on it's face.

What an idiot. Oh well. The older I get the more I do stupid stuff. I just laugh it off and enjoy the entertainment.

I pressure washed the frame and sprayed in all the holes in all directions as best I could. I could here flakey rust bouncing around inside. Of course there is no hole for it to come out, which is why these things all rust. After I got it mounted in the frame stands I noticed this.

HALF FULL OF RUST!

Tomorrow it's exploratory surgery on the frame.
Unread 01-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Glad to see you made a decision!!

There will be plenty of frustration but many, many more rewards. I am looking forward to watching another "Old Guy" build a Jeep!

Mike's build (Coiz) is an exceptional build. So is Calvin's (Exposed). Be sure to find his and go through it. Both of these guys have gone to a level of detail that is beyond most of us, and both have the 5.0. Jim (Jim1611) will be starting his 5.0 build, and his detail is also incredible. There are several others, but these guys immediately come to mind. Good luck and have fun with it.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Went to the Jeep club! Good luck with the build. What are the overall plans?
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Glad to see you made a decision!!

There will be plenty of frustration but many, many more rewards. I am looking forward to watching another "Old Guy" build a Jeep!

Mike's build (Coiz) is an exceptional build. So is Calvin's (Exposed). Be sure to find his and go through it. Both of these guys have gone to a level of detail that is beyond most of us, and both have the 5.0. Jim (Jim1611) will be starting his 5.0 build, and his detail is also incredible. There are several others, but these guys immediately come to mind. Good luck and have fun with it.
Thanks Skerr! I have lots of time. No hurry, except in my head. I am going to build the best Jeep my talents will allow. However, that leaves a very wide spectrum in various areas.
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
Went to the Jeep club! Good luck with the build. What are the overall plans?
Right now my thoughts and general direction are:

Installing a 302 that I built out of my son's Mustang. 300 HP, carbed. Makes power at the high end. Not a trail rig for sure but this is going to be a street Princess/light trail rig anyway. It got 18/22 MPG in the Mustang so it should equal that in the Jeep.

It'll be a daily driver so rust prevention and paint protection will be top concerns. Going to use the hard top and hard doors.

I have the T176, Dana 300, Dana 30, and AMC 20 in the black Jeep I bought. I'll rebuild all the running gear, truss the 20, change to 1 piece axles, install 3:54 gears front and rear, and put disc brakes on the rear.

Changing to YJ OME springs and N95 shocks for a better ride and 2.5/3 inch lift. Maybe a 1 inch body lift if need be to clear 12:00/33's on aluminum 10x15 rims. I may use 32's. Depends on what fits. BF Mud Terrain tires, not that it'll be in the mud much but they look good. Hummer steering box and HD steering links.

Reupholster the interior and install carpets with velcro so they can be easily removed.

Other than that, I haven't thought about it much.

Remember. 3 months ago I couldn't spell Jeep. I've been reading this and other forums non stop and came up with these ideas. As a matter of fact, now that I think about, I've never even driven a Jeep. I guess it must be fun, no?
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Driving a CJ is certainly a revelation for us older gentlemen! But the looks you will get! The sound of that 5.0! Oh man... will you be turning heads!!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.