Starter Solenoid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starter Solenoid

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
PODNA

Starter Solenoid

WELL LET ME GIVE A LITTLE HISTORY..
I DROPPED MY FUEL TANK AND REPLACED SENDING UNIT SOME GAUGES
ALSO REPLACED GROUND WIRE FROM STARTER TO THE STARTER SOLENOID
ADDED ANOTHER GROUND WIRE FROM FRAM TO FIRE WALL..
REINSTALLED TANK REPLACED SOME OLD CONNECTIONS IN THE REAR END LIGHTING.. PUT SOME GAS IN TH ETANK DECIDED TO TRY TO START THE JEEP AND IT ACTED LIKE I HAD A DEAD BATTERY JUST KIND OF CLICKED
SO I REMOVED THE BATTERY CHARGED FOR ABOUT 1 HR THEN PUT BACK IN
O FORGOT I HAVE MY HOOD OFF?? ONCE I PUT THE BATTERY BACK IN TRY TO START IT AND IT ACTED LIKE IT WANTED TO TURN OVER THEN SPARKS FLEW??? I RECHECKED ALL GROUND CONNECTIONS EVERYTHING GOOD.. SO I TRIED TO RESTART SPARKS FLEW AGAIN AT THAT TIME I WAS WATCHING FROM INSIDE THE JEEPI THOUGHT THAT IT CAME FROM THE IGNITION MODULE I REMOVED IT TO INSPECT NO WAY TO INSPECT.. ASKED AROUND I WAS TOLD TO REMOVE THE GROUND FROM THE FRAME TO THE FIREWALL
I COULD HAVE A HOT WIRE COMING IN CONTACT WITH CHASSIS SO I REMOVED HOOKED UP THE IGNITION MODULE AND HAD MY WIFE LOOK TRIED TO START THEN I HAD A PRETTY LITTLE FLAME POP UP FROM THE STARTER SOLENOID REMOVED IT AND YEP IT BURNT...
NOW I HAVE NOT STARTED THE JEEP SINCE I INSTALLED THE NEW GROUND FROM FRAME TO CHASSIS AND THE NEW GROUND FROM STARTER TO STARTER SOLENOID
CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME TO TRY TO SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS MATTER AT HAND I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW IF IT SOMETHING THAT I DID OR IS THIS A FREAK HAPPENING THAT JUST HAPPENED AT THE WRONG
AND MAYBE OTHER THAN THE STRATER SOLENOID IS THERE ANY THING ELSE THAT I NEED TO REPLACE WHILE I AM DOWN....

PODNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
NHwheelin
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have an 83 CJ and my starter soleniod doesnt have a ground to it it has a positive from the battery. On the soleniod itself the positvie from battery hooks to one post, then on the opposite side it goes to the positive on the starter, the two top small posts run to the altenator and somewhere else, havent tracked that line down yet. So it sounds to me like you have the soleniod hooked up wrong. Then again we might have different set-ups. My seloniod is grounded to the frame via the screws holding it to the fender well. Hope this sheds some light on your problem
Kevin
NHwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Telling us the 'flavor' of your Jeep would do wonders, but in general....

The only 'ground' a starter has is the engine block it is bolted to. There is no wire ground going to it.

The only ground a starter solenoid has is the fender it is bolted to.

The engine and/or battery are supposed to be grounded to the body and the frame is supposed to be grounded to the engine via a mesh strap across the driver's side engine mount.

You really sound like you have something on the starter solenoid that shouldn't be there. The short likely fried things like the fuse links, but that is to be seen after you can get the starter to crank.

The solenoid's main battery connection also has a couple loop connectors on it leading to wiring harness pieces. These loops connect 'fuse links'.

The other side of the solenoid only has the main power cable to the starter on it.

The side posts have the key switch wire to turn it on and the power jumper to the coil on them.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
cscotted
1980 CJ7 

just cause a wires black doesnt make it a ground....check that NEW wire you put on the starter...( make sure its attached to a mounting bolt not another cable ) and then to the frame
cscotted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
PODNA

Well My Bad On The Last Post I Got Educated At The Local Part Store Tonight And They Told Me The Same Thing That There Is No Ground From Solenoid To Starter Cool???
Not Very Mechanic Inclined But Trying My Heart Out The Reason That I Thought It Was Ground Because It Was Black....but Know I Got It They Are Both Hot I Purchased A New Solenoid And Starter If There Are Any Important Things That I Need To Look At Before Installing Tomorrow Please Send To Me I Guess I Should Leave The Ground Off That I Ran From The Frame To The Chassis????
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
cscotted
1980 CJ7 

frame to chassis is ok.....just not where you had it ( pos starter/solenoid to ground)....hey man its ok we all make mistakes and the one you made is not the first..... grounds on a CJ are a good thing....just not when they are connected to a 12v source when the key is in the run position....hang in there
cscotted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
79BlackPearl
1979 CJ7 

Heck, we all make errors in repairs and upgrades. It's part of the journey. Might want to roll on down to your local Barnes&Noble or Books A Million and pick up a Chilton Repair Manual for your rig. Very valuable info in there.

However, in the mean time, check the below site out. They have a wiring diagram for the CJ7 posted as stated above, you might have caused other damage to other electrical components. If so, you gonna need the wiring diagram.

Good luck!

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...ng-Diagram.htm

Guaranteed to Make $$$$ with your Computer! No Risk Involved! Simply press shift-4 four times in a row.
79BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I find the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual far superior to the Chilton manual.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 03-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
PODNA

well since all this confusion mainly on my part I need to clear up some terminology since i have been educated..
i have and ground from battery neg. to engine block, then from engine block to frame, then from frame to chassis
then my pos. from battery to starter solenoid then other side of solenoid to starter( i thought was a ground because it was black) so in a sense i do not have any +12 volt going to ground.. i went to part house and purchased a new strater solenoid and starter these items were in very bad shape any way i am just really concerned why these items went out all of a sudden or is it a freaky time? i am just really concerned about the new ground that i added from frame to chassis?? i am going to leave that ground off when i install the new equip. and see what happens.. any pointers please send

thanks
Unread 03-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

I don't have a frame to tub ground but I do have the battery grounded to the tub.
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #11
PODNA

Could A Low Battery Burn Up Starter Solenoid
I Load Test My Battery Before Trying To Start It And My Load
Tester Says To Charge Then Try Again...
Did All That But My Needle On My Charger Never Moves..
Unread 03-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PODNA View Post
Could A Low Battery Burn Up Starter Solenoid
I Load Test My Battery Before Trying To Start It And My Load
Tester Says To Charge Then Try Again...
Did All That But My Needle On My Charger Never Moves..
Yes, for sure it is common. The low power makes the contacts weld together sometimes from arcing because it isn't held tight likely.

Your battery could have a bad cell. If you can get at the liquid, one cell might be low. That causes a charger to act odd also.
Unread 03-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You guys are going to laugh but I had a Starter solenoid catch on fire also.

Poor/loose connection at the post on starter solenoid. Yes lots of spark and finaly a flame. You can see the molten metal flow around the nut.

I replaced battery cable and solenoid and other terninals.

It seems you can only "clean up" the terminals so many times. The plating on the terminals form a protective oxide coating that prevent corrosion. The oxide coating is soft and breaks away when tightening up a connection. That's why star washers are importent. However after removing the terminals a few times you create cracks in the coating were corrosion can start underneith the coating. The corrosion crumbles and now you have a loose cantact as well as a corroded one. One thing leads to another and POOF. flames. Cleaning it with a wire brush helps for a little while but removes some of the plating and speeds up the corrosion.

Since I plow all winter long and everything gets coated in salt, I find myself replacing everything every few years. Dielectric grease is my friend but it washes away also. Need to find Hi current sealed connections.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.