Starter Solenoid (2) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starter Solenoid (2)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-14-2003, 07:39 AM   #1
canuk01

Starter Solenoid (2)

Let me ask the question a different way then previuosly to see if there is some help out there.
I replaced the starter solenoid on my 78 CJ5 304ci as it failed and kept the starter engaged. (burnt out the starter). I replaced the starter and the solenoid.
Voltage on the 'blue wire' from ignition to terminal says 12V when activated but solenoid will not 'click'. Tried the old solenoid (with starter cable disconnected) and the solenoid activated (but i know that the internals are bad) and it 'clicked'. I then applied 12V directly to the the new solenoid from baterry post and it clicked. So I think that there isn't enough power from the ignition switch to pull in the solenoid.
Does this make sense? I read somewhere that in older vehicles the wiring over time increases its resistance and could cause a voltage drop, which is not strong enough to activate a new solenoid. The work around is to install a relay (horn or other) and use the 12v from the battery through the relay to activate the solenoid.

Any suggestions?

canuk01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2003, 01:44 PM   #2
Cophgnsnuf

kill switch and push button start.... In my 82 I kept burning out the solenoid still not sure why. So anyway I took care of the problem. I ran a kill switch to the old solenoid and a push button start this bypasses the old solenoid and I now can start my jeep everytime without worry of it draining my battery. If you are interested in what it took for this send me an email and I will describe it for you
Unread 07-15-2003, 06:41 PM   #3
canuk01

Solenoid Problem SOLVED

Believe it or not I have solved the problem with the solenoid! I changed the solenoid (twice!) which I purchased from NAPA. Something told me to try another one. This time I went to AUTOZONE and I installed it the motor jumped to life IMMEDIATELY. Amazing that the two different ones that NAPA sold me failed.

Well anyway...I am back on the road.

Lesson Learned ...Don't assume that new parts suggested by retailer will work on your application.
canuk01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.