Starter problems - starter stays engaged - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-24-2004, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
KGBnumber1

Starter problems - starter stays engaged

The question i have does reffer to my jeep, but i have a chevy engine so its not a jeep question.

i just replaced my starter. the onld one was a little sluggish on cranking the engine. the remanufactured starter i picked up looked exactly like the old one, except for a minor difference in the motor casing.

when I try to start my car, the starter stays engaged. luckily, i dont have the distributor cap on so my engine didnt start up. I know that the starter is not supposed to be too close to the flywheel, i.e. theres a gap that needs to be measured inbetween the teeth.

well, I purchased some metal starter shims so i could make the gap between the gear teeth bigger. This worked, but my starter still stayed engaged when i let go of the key. I ended up to the point where I put the entire shim package up in there, and the space between the gear teeth is very far, almost so far that the gears arent touching, but not quite.

from what i understand, the starter motor engages only by the selenoid coming up and putting the gear into place. as soon as the gear slides up, the motor starts. when you let go of the key, the selenoid is supposed to disengage, springing the gear back into the housing, and cutting off power to the starter motor.

the problem I see is that the gear is not able to disengage. its almost as if the gear is getting stuck. when I take the starter out, there is plenty of spring in the gear. but I noticed when i pry the gear out, it turns a little. i assume this is to make sure it gets into the flywheel teeth. but i also believe this might be causing my problem.

I know its not an electrical or wireing problem, just pure mechanical.

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-24-2004, 10:05 PM
gigihurt

sounds like your ignition switch is hanging up. There is a rod going down the inside of the column and it pushes on the ignition switch on top of the column in the dash. I would venture to guess thats where your problem is.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-24-2004, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
KGBnumber1

gigihurt-

I dont think thats my problem. when this happened, i disconnected the pos battery terminal to stop it. when i reconnect it, it does not try to start again. I have to disconnect the battery every time I tried something different to make it work. if my ignition switch was hanging up, wouldnt it try to start again as soon as i reconnect the battery?

post #4 of 10 Old 08-25-2004, 07:14 AM
Geer_hed

What year jeep? ARe you still running OEM jeep ignition setup? Assuming yes, it's either your ignition switch or starter solenoid. See if signal at the Starter Solenoid on Blue (hot in start only) dies when the key is cycled from Start to ON. Disconnect it from the starter solenoid first. If yes, then replace the solenoid. If no, backtrack through the ign module to the ignition switch and figure out why the switch isn't killing the signal.

85 CJ7 / 258 / T176 / Dana 30/ AMC 20

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-25-2004, 08:28 AM
NJCJ7

i had this problem and the culprit was the starter solenoid on the inner fender. replaced it with one from advance for a few bucks and the problem was solved.

1985 CJ7 MC2100,TFI, 2.5" BDS suspension, Full Cage, 31" Mud Tires, 1/2" MORE shackles, Aussie Locked AMC 20
post #6 of 10 Old 08-25-2004, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
KGBnumber1

this was a new (remanufactured) starter from autozone. Maybe it is bad, so I am taking it back and asking for an exchange.

my ignition switch is killing the signal. problem just started happening when I installed the new starter.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-25-2004, 05:33 PM
bernie

I had a blazer with 350cid and auto trans a long time ago that did this--it stayed engaged if the engine did not start BUT as soon as the engine started it would kick the drive back to the "at rest" position. I eventually replaced the starter for other reasons, and the new starter was fine.

Don't start the revolution without me...
post #8 of 10 Old 08-25-2004, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
KGBnumber1

bernie-

that is exactly what would happen if my engine started. after i disconnect the battery to shut the starter off, the gear is still engaged. if i get under there and turn the flywheel any (like the motor starting), the gear kicks out. weird.

I replaced the starter today. this time with a starter from an 81' chevy not an 80. as i said before, the started was just a little different in the motor casing shape... well the new one i got was an exact match to my original. This new starter fixed my problem!!! seems that the gears on this starter are spaced just a little further apart than the last one. hmm.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Lizard800

Ive got this 1989 jeep cherokee laredo from my buddies field and trying to get it back in running condition. When I hook up a battery the starter stays engaged but stops in any gear except park an nuetral probly because i changed the NSS. I also changed ignition switch and ignition cylinder (key) but still does not turn back to proper position its a tilt steering wheel and cant get the key to return to lock position ive also changed the starter and starter relay. Ive read comments about the b+latch but dunno what they are talking about if anyone has some information that could help get this beast on the road it would be great its the 4.0 and ive changed NSS, starter, ignition switch, ignition cylinder (key), and starter relay please help thanks It also had a command start at one point but unknown if its still installed Also when I drove it from out back to front the no bus light came on im stumped on whhat to do next I hope someone knows some wizardry to get it working
post #10 of 10 Old 11-13-2014, 12:10 PM
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

You might have better luck posting your question up in a new thread in the cherokee section.v

1973 Jeep CJ5 Amc powered resto-mod
1976 Jeep CJ7 GM powered future 1 ton crawler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.