Starter not grounding? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starter not grounding?

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
kjcj7
1977 CJ7 

Starter not grounding?

The starter on my 77 cj7 recently quit working. I had it checked out and it checked out fine. I change the cable and reinstalled it and still nothing I pulled it out again set it on the fender hooked it up, and clipped one of the hood hold down to the front of it, and it worked just fine... so I cleaned everything up around the mounting bolts and reinstalled it.. Again , no luck. Has anyone ever had to run a ground wire to the starter?

kjcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Does the starter even click at all, or is it completely silent? When you test it on the fender, are you using the same + cable that didn't work before, or are you using a jumper off the battery? I've never needed to run a ground cable to the starter, but I've heard others have (be sure to use a heavy gauge cable if you do). You may also want to examine/clean/tighten the other ground straps to the engine to be sure they're functional.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Run the NEG(-)cable from your battery to the starter's top mounting bolt.
Make sure your eng is grounded to the frame with a ground strap.
LG
Unread 08-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
kjcj7
1977 CJ7 

I have a new cable, and a new solenoid... I don't think I have a ground strap to the engine, tho... weird thing is it worked fine before.. never had this problem with a starter before. Its strange. Only in a jeep!
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
kjcj7
1977 CJ7 

I have a 360 that was put in by a PO. The main ground to the battery was attached to the intake manifold, but the cable was always getting hot, so now I have it grounded to the frame. Anybody know of a good spot on a 360 to attach a ground strap?
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Your main NEG(-)from the battery should go to the engine block.
Your issue could also be in the ign. switch itself.
How clean are your battery terminals?
LG
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
kjcj7
1977 CJ7 

Everything is clean, just put in a new alternator and regulator, and cleaned up the PO's wiring mess. Solenoid clicks every time...can't seem to find a good spot to ground on the block, tho.. seems strange too
Unread 08-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Undo the bolt holding the starter on and stick the ground wire there. And you can make a ground point at the bolt boss, just behind the alternator, at the block
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I think my (-) cable connects at the alternator bracket.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
kjcj7
1977 CJ7 

Cool, I think I have a bolt hole behind the alternator, now to just find the right bolt...
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Mount the NEG(-) cable to the starter mounting bolt.
LG
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
kjcj7
1977 CJ7 

Now why didn't I think of that, lol
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
kjcj7
1977 CJ7 

Well after a little experimenting I finally figured it out. Ran a new ground from the engine to frame, and moved the negative ground to the battery to the front of the block. Seems to work fine again. Managed to fry a solenoid in the process.... reversed the polarity everywhere, she was trying to start with the key off, lol. Put the old one back on and it worked fine.
Ended up having to get a new battery too. Been thinking the one I had was bad, but had it tested at wall mart like 3 times and they kept telling me it was good. Finally just went ahead and bought a new one and put it in. Worked fine, right off. So don't trust wall marts battery machine! This is the second battery I've had the same trouble with there!
Anyways, thanks for all the input. Now I gotta start a new thread and try to figure out why she won't stay running!
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Move the neg ground on the engine block, to one of the starter mounting bolts. Shorter 'path' for high amp flow means less loss of amps upon start up
What gauge wire did you use to gnd the engine to the frame? Should at least be the same gage as your primary battery cables.
LG
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
kjcj7
1977 CJ7 

That was the first thing I tried. The cable got really hot... had voltage to it actually. That's when the solenoid went bad... I could light up the teat light from the neg side of the battery.... maybe just a coincidence but really strange. Moved it to the front of the block, close to the oil pump, and it started acting right....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.