Starter noise, not starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starter noise, not starting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
CJ7Gus
1986 CJ7 

Starter noise, not starting

Hey all,

First time posting...I am having a problem with my starter on a recently bought CJ7 (4.2L, T-5 tranny, towed to the house). When turned over it makes a awful grinding noise (almost like engine is started already but isn't), and it takes several times of this to start up if it even does. I changed out the starter because I thought it was bad but ended up being the battery. The old starter had metal shavings, when the new one was removed it also had metal shavings. When the flywheel was inspected, some teeth are worn on the engine side (teeth leading edges rounded, some are chipped) but nothing major. I had to retap and put a helicoil in the starters bottom hole on the tranny due to being stripped out so I replaced the bolts also. The replacement bolts are not fully threaded and I put lock washers on so the bolts won't back off. I can upload pictures tomorrow in the daylight. I am at my whits end and can't figure out what is wrong. I have replaced the cables, starter, battery and starter solenoid. I even sanded the plate where the starter mounts to try and give it a better ground...Please help me, and thanks ahead of time.

Gus

CJ7Gus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Did you have the problem before fixing the starter bolt?

The worn teeth to me is a alignment problem between starter and flywheel.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
CJ7Gus
1986 CJ7 

I was able to get it started once, and it did have the grinding noise before I fixed the starter bolt hole. I think it has an alignment issue also, but from what I have been reading there are no shims that are used to make minor alignment adjustments to the starter.
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
CJ7Gus
1986 CJ7 

bump...
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Just so you don't feel alone with this problem, I am helping a friend with the same problem. He bought a basket case cj7, I helped him wire up a condensor to see if it would start. It sounded like metal on metal when we hit the starter.

We took the plugs out and determined that the motor was free, took the starter off of his scrambler and bolted it up to give it a try. It started and ran for about 5 seconds before it used all of the gas in the carb.
Next we put some gas in the tank and thought all we needed to do was a little cranking until the gas got to the carb.

Again, it sounded like metal on metal when we tried to start it, and the engine only moved about 5*.

Spinning the engine with the starter off, I cannot see anything wrong with the flywheel. There are a few metal shavings on it, but it doesn't look like the teeth are ground down.
Has anyone has this problem and corrected it?
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

There are alignment dowels in the block that locate the Transmittion. If they are missing your bellhousing will most likely not be correctly lined up.

The only way to tell if there in the block is to loosen up all the bell housing bolts and lay under the jeep and see if you can rock the trans on the loose bolts. If so there not in the block. That is the alignment for the starter. The bolts need to be loose not just backed off some.

The dowels also support the trans if missing then the crank supports it.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
CJ7Gus
1986 CJ7 

Found the problem to be a bad nose bushing on the "remanufactured" starter. Replaced it, fired right up no noise! Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Gus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.