Starter ain't un-startin' 79 cj5 258ci - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Starter ain't un-startin' 79 cj5 258ci

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave on AEM Intakes from XT!

Unread 05-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

Starter ain't un-startin' 79 cj5 258ci

Here's what happened: Turn the key nothing happened , (I have a good strong battery and the starter is about a year old) so I lifted the hood and gave the terminals a whack, Jeep cranked over but starter wouldn't disengage also my coil fuse blew in doing so! My thought was maybe the solenoid . I changed out the solenoid and the same thing happened. After researching I found the the coil fuse is supposed be a 30amp breaker. I had a lower amp breaker in there and boy was it hot. My question is: Does this sound like A. ignition switch on steering column is shot ? or B: Ignition module is shot. ? I'm stumped ! Out of curiosity I took apart the old solenoid and it wasn't fused or ever looked like it fused. Thank you in advance !! The thing I've learned about old jeep's It's ok to throw the inexpensive parts at a problem because your gonna replace em' anyway !!!

stvincnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 03:29 AM   #2
Attwanl
1985 CJ7 

Is the starter still getting power to make it stay engaged or is it stuck.
Unread 05-12-2015, 05:44 AM   #3
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

Yes and tuning back the key doesn't stop it. I have to quickly disconect the battery,
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

Happened to me when I had the solonoid backwards. I assume once started the alternator fed power to the solonoid engaging the starter.
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:18 AM   #5
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

Thank you for your reply, My rig was working fine for years . This is something else.
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Remove the red wire from the "i" terminal on the solenoid with the engine off. With the red wire disconnected, if there's 12V at the "I" terminal, the solenoid is shot.

If the red wire is hot with the engine off, then it's likely the ignition switch.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #7
orange150
1982 CJ8 

This happened to me last year, it turned out to be the ignition control module. I would have never guessed that's what it was and actually replaced it chasing another issue.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/el...thing-2381377/
orange150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange150 View Post
This happened to me last year, it turned out to be the ignition control module. I would have never guessed that's what it was and actually replaced it chasing another issue.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/el...thing-2381377/
Good read and good troubleshooting.

So moral of the story, as I take from your experience is, all wiring checked out at the starter solenoid except the blue wire was hot always when the key is in ON position. If so, pull the 2 plugs off the ignition module to see if the voltage disappears. If it does, then replace the ignition control module?

OP, his symptoms were this:

Key turned to ON position, engine began cranking immediately without turning to START position. Was internal short in ICM back-feeding juice to starter solenoid holding it closed any time key in ON position. Seems simple enough. Hope that's all it is.

So OP if your symptoms match all that exactly then you may have a solution.

What's that strange noise?
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincnt View Post
Thank you for your reply, My rig was working fine for years . This is something else.
My bad, didn't see that it started before you changed the solonoid.

I got nothing then.....
Unread 05-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
Good read and good troubleshooting.

So moral of the story, as I take from your experience is, all wiring checked out at the starter solenoid except the blue wire was hot always when the key is in ON position. If so, pull the 2 plugs off the ignition module to see if the voltage disappears. If it does, then replace the ignition control module?

OP, his symptoms were this:

Key turned to ON position, engine began cranking immediately without turning to START position. Was internal short in ICM back-feeding juice to starter solenoid holding it closed any time key in ON position. Seems simple enough. Hope that's all it is.

So OP if your symptoms match all that exactly then you may have a solution.
Thanks for the replies, i'm gonna guess it's the ignition mod, I've fried them before Probably because I was using a low amp fuse for the coil at the fuse block
Unread 06-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #11
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

OK Thanks for all the replies. Sooooooo I just got around to tackling my ignition problems , here's what I've done: Replaced ignition switch on column , no change. Replaced starter, no change. Replaced ignition module, no change. I'm freekin stumped. Ive also read that a dying battery could cause this problem, would this be true even if I was do a supplemental jump from another vehicle
Unread 06-02-2015, 02:54 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
OK Thanks for all the replies. Sooooooo I just got around to tackling my ignition problems , here's what I've done: Replaced ignition switch on column , no change. Replaced starter, no change. Replaced ignition module, no change. I'm freekin stumped. Ive also read that a dying battery could cause this problem, would this be true even if I was do a supplemental jump from another vehicle
I think it's time to stop throwing parts at it, and find the actual problem.

How did the teeth on the old starter and flywheel look? Does your bell-housing have both alignment pins?

Did you do the test I described earlier? What was the results?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 04:35 AM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
If the battery has a bad cell it can suck the power from a boost sometimes. Time to test it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #14
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I think it's time to stop throwing parts at it, and find the actual problem.

How did the teeth on the old starter and flywheel look? Does your bell-housing have both alignment pins?

Did you do the test I described earlier? What was the results?

Matt
Matt yes thank you for that. I did do your test and both came up 0 volts, I'm assuming you mean with the key in the RUN position. None the less I did the test with the key off and still 0 volts. Currently my battery is showing 12.25 volts .It's been over taxed without being charged so I've been jumping it to turn it over, Needles to say I don't want to keep on testing and scrambling to undo the battery cable. I also what to mention that I've gone through a few 30 Amp fuses at the coil on the fuse block. I'm almost positive the flywheel is fine I gave a look at the teeth and the look sharp and unworn, as for alignment pins I don't remember having those when I bolted the starter on. BTW I tested my ignition coil it read .8 ohms at primary and 11,700 ohms on secondary. I know this has nothing to do with my problem but I had to do it anyway
Unread 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #15
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

Same thing was happening to me a while back... I was blowing coil fuses like crazy... I replaced everything electrical. Nothing worked, kept blowing fuses,. Turned out it was a bad cell in the battery.... Replaced the battery and it hasn't happened yet!
Mlaughlin8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.