Which starter for a 164 Tooth Flywheel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which starter for a 164 Tooth Flywheel?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
jpywell52
1979 CJ7 

Which starter for a 164 Tooth Flywheel?

Got a 258 mated to a t150. Starter was failing to engage, grinding. Bell housing had a big crack in it near the starter so figured that wasn't helping so it's being replaced but in the process I learned that there were several models of started for this application and that there is a "correct" starter to use with each specific tooth count on the flywheel. Mine has 164 teeth. Anyone have a recomendation on which model started to use? Second question is, since the ring gear is pretty chewed up and the starter seems ok (was recently replaced) should I select a ring gear based on that model of starter instead?

Thanks

jpywell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
flashawk
1979 CJ5 

164 teeth is the standard tooth count for an AMC L6 or V8, you should be able to use the starter you have all ready. Do you take the Jeep out wheeling much? If you do, think about getting a 2 to 1 starter. If you kill the motor on a steep hill, you can leave it in 1st gear 4-low and start it with the clutch out and take right off without spinning or frying the clutch.
1979 CJ5 360 V8 w/Holley 470 Truck Avenger, HEI Ignition, Livewires w/E3 Sparkplugs, Hedman Hedders, Flowmasters, DANA 30 w/Auzzie Locker, AMC 20 limited slip "N" 3:54's, Tuff Country 2.5" lift, Rancho RS5118, Rubicon Express Quick Disconnects, Currie 1/2" lift Heavy Duty Greasable Shackles, DANA 20, T150, Mile Marker PE8000 w/MiFi Controll Box, Bestop Super Top, Warn 6 bolt Premiums, 31x10.50x15
flashawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
jpywell52
1979 CJ7 

right now i have the jeep in a garage in Brooklyn. hope to build a reliable truck out of it form soem off road but nothing over the top. dirt roads and some water crossing and lots of snow. more of a practical woods and snow truck than anything. I'm finding a LOT of conflicting info on starters though. It seems that there were different ones made for the 157 and 164 tooth flywheels and that most aftermarket reman. shops don't differentiate between them. Example: auto zone has a single part number listed for the 79 cj7 and its the one i have, thing is that starter was in my jeep and ate a flywheel. was that because there was a small crack int he bell housing or because its not actually the right part? After 10 years of shade tree mechanics if there is one thign i have learned its not to trust autozone, but i can't find solid info anywhere that lays out what starter goes with what flywheel/bell housing combo with any certainty. maybe i am over-thinking this but...
Unread 10-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
flashawk
1979 CJ5 

What you need is an AMC starter from 72-86 for the 6 or 8 cylinder

Baseline 4x4

That ones pricey because it's new and there's a core charge I'm sure

Summit Racing

Much cheaper

4wheel drive hardware

That's an Omix-Ada. All these sites are great places to get parts from
flashawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
jpywell52
1979 CJ7 

excellent! Many thanks Flashhawk, that does clear it up.
Unread 10-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i have good luck with NAPA starters
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
jpywell52
1979 CJ7 

ok, this problem is solved. new flywheel ring gear and the old starter mesh perfectly and the truck turns over with no grinding. Now no spark that on another thread. Thanks!

Tags
grinding noise , ring gear , starter

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.