Stalls when stopping on down hill grade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stalls when stopping on down hill grade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
wglikes

Stalls when stopping on down hill grade

I have an 83 CJ5....original engine and carb.

Whever I stop on a downhill grade, the engine stalls. It starts right back up.
but usually stalls again unless I apply enough gas to raise the rpm.

The stalling is not associated with braking because if I brake and come to a stop on a flat grade or uphill grade....no stalling.

I have also noticed that it idles a little higher on an uphill grade.

Any suggestions to correct this problem would be much appreciated.

wglikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Oldcraneguy
1982 CJ7 

First thing I think id do is check the float level, maybe even get a kit and go thru the carb... If you had mechanical throttle linkage I might even think that your engine is shifting back and forth but I assume yours is cable.
Im trying to think of things that could be gravity related, vacuum lines to can or booster tight or cracked? still the engine would have to shift fore and aft to cause your symptoms, yeah, id have to put my $ on float level...good luck and let us know what you find out....OCG
Oldcraneguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
wglikes

I was thinking it may be the float as well....other than stalling what are the symptoms aasociated with an incorrect float level?
wglikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Oldcraneguy
1982 CJ7 

Depends, if floats to low it will starve for fuel in sustained high power situations if its too high it will cause flooding under certain conditions like unusual angles, easy enough to check, crank it up and run it on flat ground for 15-20 seconds then pop the top of the carb off and see where the fuel level is, if its like 3/4 full or more its prob too high on most carbs, google up your particular carb to find out the correct level/procedure...ocg
Oldcraneguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #5
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

I6 with BBD carb? Might as well check the idle tubes for being clogged while you're at it. That (and subsequently incorrect idle mixture screws) is what did it for me. Same problem.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
carb , cj5 , stalling , stalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.