Stalls after warm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stalls after warm

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
PirateQM
1982 CJ7 

Stalls after warm

I installed a new wiring harness (Painless) and replaced the stock carb with a Weber 32/36. I adjusted the carb as specified, and she starts up great when cold. But after a while when she is warm, she stalls. This happened the other day when I took it out for a test run... went 1 mile, turned into the gas station, and shortly after restarting, she stalled. Let her cool down for 20 minutes, and she started up but had issues on the way home and stalled at the top of the driveway. Yesterday, I double checked the adjustments and just let her run and after awhile it just stalled and wouldn't start up. Waited 15-20 minutes, and it started up with no issues.

Another issue that came about right before I took it out on the test drive was that some of the gauges started acting up. They were working fine after the new wiring was installed. But when I took her out (the same trip that she stalled at the gas station) the turn signal lights on the gauge are always lit, the volt gauge no longer reads and the engine temp and fuel level gauges max out. Even though the gauge for the lights stays lit, the actual turn signals and hazards work properly.

I tried finding these symptoms in the forum, but the only thing that matches is a bad CPS... which I don't think an '82 CJ7 has.

If anyone has any helpful advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!! I'd like to drive it more than a mile or two without having to pull over and let it cool for 20 minutes.

Thanks!!

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]'[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]97 TJ (Polaris) Long gone, but not forgotten.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]'85 CJ7 (LiL Dragon) Hauled away to be scrapped. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Cyan"]'82 CJ7 (Echo)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
PirateQM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Do you have an electric choke? Did you old carb have an electric choke? If you did you may have used the erong wire.
Or look around the exhaust and intake manifold for melted wires.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Sounds similar to my vapor lock... Mine only happens when hot though, not after such a short distance. How is your inline fuel filter positioned? Pics of the new carb setup?
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
PirateQM
1982 CJ7 

Thank you both for replies!

Waterdowg: Yes, electric choke. I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct wire, Painless has them wired and I still have the label on it (as you can see in the pic below). But it makes me wonder if the wire still might be an issue. In order to wire up the manifold heater relay, I wired the relay into the choke as all the schematics show but that doesn't mean it's correct.

Nafpu: It was pretty warm, I had it warming up for quite a while before I went for the short drive. Here are pics of my setup.

If anyone sees anything wrong with this setup, please let me know. And yes, I know the air filter is not on... took it off to trouble shoot and do the carb adjustments. Thanks!
photo-83-.jpg   image-2-.jpeg   image-3-.jpeg  

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]'[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]97 TJ (Polaris) Long gone, but not forgotten.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]'85 CJ7 (LiL Dragon) Hauled away to be scrapped. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Cyan"]'82 CJ7 (Echo)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
PirateQM
1982 CJ7 

Okay... just found something that might be the issue or at least adding to the issue. The ignition coil is hot. The Jeep has been sitting under shade for nearly 2+ hours without me starting it, so there is no reason it should be warm from running that long ago.

Before I replaced the wiring harness, I know that I did not have a ballast resistor, so I didn't think much of it. But now I'm wondering with the new harness if I need to add one. Oh, and the ICM is brand new, had to replace that when I installed the new wiring harness. Any thoughts? Could this be what is causing the other issues?

Unread 06-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

I would see if you have voltage to the coil with the key off. The coil shouldn't be hot after sitting for 2 hours.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
PirateQM
1982 CJ7 

I did a resistance test from positive and negative on the coil... I understand it is supposed to read 1.13 to 1.23 ohms, and instead it was all over the place. It wasn't an open lead, but it didn't read correctly either, so I'm ordering a new one. I'm hoping that was the issue. Unfortunately, I will be gone for the next few days, but will be back on Friday to replace the coil and check it out.

Thanks to those who replied and got me thinking on possible causes! Hope to have good news by next weekend!

Unread 06-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
PirateQM
1982 CJ7 

**UPDATE**

I replaced the ignition coil and connector, the ICM, spark plug wires and I added a ballast resistor. I ran through a troubleshooting guide that JeepHammer has posted and everything looked good. So I ran it for 40+ minutes in the driveway, she didn't stall. Later on, I took it for a short trip to the grocery store and back, and had it run for an additional 10 minutes in the driveway, and she didn't stall. I think I have to re-adjust the carburetor, but so far so good. I plan on taking it out later tonight when most of the tourists are off the road and see if it will go longer and farther.

However, the electrical issue with the gauges continues. Both fuel and temp gauge peg out. Volt gauge doesn't work. Radio doesn't work. Earlier today, the parking break light worked, but now it doesn't. Both turn signal lights on the gauge are constantly on. The actual turn signals and hazards work properly, it seems it's just in the gauge. I've checked the fuses, all are good. I'm going to triple check the grounds later today, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Unread 06-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

My guess is that you're grounding out somewhere with the dash items. You may have unfortunately fried some of them at this point. Let us know what you're able to find.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
PirateQM
1982 CJ7 

walkerhoundvm: Yep, there was a ground in the dash.

I used the gauge troubleshooting guide from John Strenk that I found posted on another thread (thank you, Sir!!) and that confirmed a bad ground. So I moved the ground wire to the cluster mounting bolt and found an optional ground wire in the Painless harness (it was the only one that was not terminated) so I attached that one as well. Ran through the troubleshooting guide again and everything looked good! So then I put the dash back together and I was back to square one, gauges acting funny. Took the dash off and found that when it sat at a certain position it would act up. Double checked all connections, re-spliced a speaker wire, moved some wires around and was able to put the dash back on without issues.

So then I was happy... until I turned the radio on, then the volt gauge died again. Turn the radio off, volt gauge works. So I kept the radio off, but then decided to check all the lights, turned on the headlights, no problem until I hit the high beams... headlights died completely. Brake lights aren't working either now, as well as the dash lights.

I dislike electrical issues!!! When I think I get a basic understanding of it, I end up farther behind than I was! I'm pretty sure this radio is pulling more than the Jeep can handle. Is there any way to regulate this or do I need to get a specific radio? Also pretty sure I have to get a new headlight dimmer switch. UGH!!

Had to stop for the night, but will start chasing grounds and wires later in the week after the rain storms pass.

Unread 06-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

sounds like you have a ground problem.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
PirateQM
1982 CJ7 

UPDATE: Had a few more issues under the hood. Had to replace the starter solenoid on top of everything else that I recently replaced. And as most of us guessed with the electrical stuff, it was a ground issue and bad connections. Just trying to find or fix can be a pain.

Removed all connections behind the dash and added dielectric grease (which fixed the brake light issue). Then took all the ground wires that were behind the dash, cleaned up and reconnected. Still had the gauge and headlight issue, so I tried to better the connection between the body and dash. Chipped off some paint, sanded down on dash and body, and now everything is working except the engine temp gauge. But I'm pretty sure that just needs to be replaced and I'll do that at a later date.

And as for as how she runs (the original post)... took it out for a test drive around town tonight (first time since she stalled) and she ran great. Still have to make adjustments to the carb, but she didn't stall.

Thanks for those who posted suggestions and ideas!!
Now on to the next project... suspension lift!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.