squirrly rear end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > squirrly rear end

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
redneckXJ
1978 CJ5 

squirrly rear end

I have a 78 CJ-5 golden eagle. I just got it last week with the 304 and a 6" lift on it. The issue that I am having is if I back off the throttle and then jump back on it, it feels like the rear end is twisting sideways. I thought that It might have a lockrite in it as mine used to do this in my XJ just not as bad.

redneckXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

With 6 inches of lift, do you have soa? Maybe you need a traction bar.
Unread 08-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
1984CJ
1984 CJ7 

sounds like a Lunchbox type locker. My 84 started doing this after I put one in.

If you get off the throttle it does it- if you get back on it it does it. Much more noticeable at higher speeds.
Originally Posted by ftdranger
You guys on the CJ tech page are a little to tech for me. Must be the leaf springs.
1984CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
redneckXJ
1978 CJ5 

I was thinking about the traction bar just trying to find one. And that is exactly what it does very noticable at high speeds.
redneckXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Lift loads on different sides during acceleration/deceleration.

Probably an open diff since the movement is dramatic.
Remember, engine torque unloads the right rear when you accelerate, and plants the right rear when you decelerate.
(One wheel wonder peel in open diff vehicle with enough power to spin one wheel)

Soggy urithane bushings will cause the diff/springs to move around quite a bit under the vehicle magnifying the 'Issue'.

The extra length in the lift springs will allow the springs to flex more as you Load/Unload the rear end...

And if your frame bushings are shot, or been changed over to soggy urithane, that will further magnify the problem.
-----------------------

NOW!
IF you street drive the vehicle, and you want to stop a bunch of this crap...

Knock out the urithane bushings that allow for large deflection angles,
And press in some stock, hard rubber bushings in frame and springs.

Get rid of 'Lift Shackles'! Those kill your steering geometry and magnify deflection.
Go back with stock height shackles, and weld in supports between the side pieces to keep them from further deflecting. You are looking for 'll' shackles, not '//' or '\\' shackles.

Using a soft but resilient engine and transmission mount will take much of the engine torque issue out of the situation,
And DO NOT forget the torque arm on the transmission/transfer case mount!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.