Squeeling noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Squeeling noise

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
HMS
1983 CJ7 

Squeeling noise

Upon starting my stock 83 CJ, 4.2, 4 speed I sometimes get a squealing noise that sounds like slipping belts. I have installed new belts and a new power steering pump and thought I solved the problem. But all of a sudden it did it again. Could the squealing be from a throw out bearing? When it happens I notice that if I let out the clutch, in gear, it stops. I have let the clutch out in
neutral and it still squeals. Any ideas?

Howard

HMS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Frankandsteph
1979 CJ7 

Could the belts be to tight?
Frankandsteph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

my old 1984 did that for awhile, it was the throw out bearing,
not much way to lube it at this time without teardown.

mine: I just kept driving it and the noise when away, no noise in last 2+ years.
hope you have such luck,
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Tight'n the belts, just a bit.
LG
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
HMS
1983 CJ7 

I guess I'll just wait it out. The bad part is that it only happens when your around people in a parking lot.
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Tight'n the belts, just a bit.
LG
This - my 85 did this about a week after I installed new belts. I re-tightened the alternator belt just a bit and the squeal stopped. Its been about a month and so far so good.
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

If you have V-belt(s), it could be glazing on the pulleys. Try using some steel wool on the pulleys where the belt contacts. You can also try some belt dressing (don't really like using it myself, but if all else fails...).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

It sounds like you may have polished sheaves (pulleys) if you look at the sheaves are they very shinny? Belt dressing will help for a short while but once the stuff dries you will be in the same boat.
One thing you could do is take the sheaves off at the crank, water pump and power steering pump and have them bead blasted that will break the glaze and the problem should go away.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
HMS
1983 CJ7 

Never thought about the slick pulleys. I'll try some steel wool and see what happens. Pulling them off doesn't sound like much fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.