Squeeeeeeeeal like a pig!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Squeeeeeeeeal like a pig!!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo

Unread 04-16-2002, 08:44 AM   #1
Deano

Squeeeeeeeeal like a pig!!

Hey all,

My 81 Jeep CJ-7, 258, just started making loud squealing noises. It sounds like a belt to the power steering or alternator is loose, but it's a loud consistent noise that seems to get louder as I drive. I just discovered it, so I'm not entirely sure where it's coming from - although it sounds like it's from the bottom-front of the engine, maybe - and I haven't had a full look-over.

Also, I get the noise in all gears and neutral in 2 hi. Haven't tried 2 lo or 4 hi.

All of the belts are tight and new, the oil was low - not too low, though - so I topped it up and the power steering fluid was fine. Also, I'm getting a charge from the alterator.

I don't seem to have any acceleration or idle problems, but lately I have had a problem that, after sitting for a while after a ride, I'd fire her up and she'd chug and chug and finally come to, but only with the gas pedal to the floor.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I plan to remove the belts to the power steering and alternator to rule them out. Also, I'll check the plugs for any unusual deposits that might show engine damage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. All I have are screwdrivers, a socket wrench and duct tape so my troubleshooting options are limited.

I've had suggestions that it could be the water pump, bad belts or build up on the pulleys.

Thanks!

#$%@!!! This figures, too. I just paid my last payment on her today!

Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2002, 12:10 PM   #2
KeenCJ7

Sounds like the bearings/bushings on you alternator, Pull the belt off ans spin it by hand. if it is rough feeling/sounding replace it
also check your water pump pulley, I have never heard of one squeeling but it is possible
Hope this helps
KeenCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2002, 09:01 PM   #3
Deano

I took off the belt to the alternator and it didn't help, so I did the same with the power steering/water pump and the sound went away. Looks like the water pump is the culprit... Sweet...

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to replace it tomorrow. I'm also going to flush the cooling system with water and replace the thermostat. Are there any other things that I should do while the coolant is drained?

Thanks again. Hopefully, I'll be back up and running tomorrow night.
Unread 04-16-2002, 11:18 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

First, make sure it's the water pump and not the power steering pump. If you do have to replace the water pump, be sure to check the hoses, especialy the lower one. Also be sure to mix the antifreeze 50/50(no more) with the water. How's your timing chain? Lots of slop? If so you are half way through the replacement process. Just something to think about.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2002, 12:47 PM   #5
Deano

Hey JD2K,

Thanks for the advice. I just got my new water pump and it turns without sticking, so I'm pretty sure that it was the problem. I'll find out tonight.

As for the timing chain, how accessible is it? I don't have a hoist and only have minimal tools...
Unread 04-17-2002, 02:47 PM   #6
Infedel

The Timing Chain is right below your water pump. There are 4 screws attaching the timing chain cover to the oil pan, plus about a half dozen others attaching it to the block. To get at it, you'll have to remove your alternator. Just leave it attached to the bracket, and pull it off as an assembly. If you remove the timing cover, you'll need to more than likely get a new gasket.
1" Body Lift
1" Shackle Lift
33x12.5" SSR Tires
Painless Wiring, Stainless Steel Dash
Infedel is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.