Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Squeal in engine - ready to give up.

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  John Strenk 
#1 ·
I am hearing this horrible squeal or squeek coming from the engine area. Its not the belts as though were just replaced. The squeal is not noticeable when the Jeep is at idle, but give it any gas and it increases with the rpms. It does not go away no matter what speed I drive at. Any ideas what this could be and how much it is going to cost to fix.

I am at my wits end. I am starting to contemplate getting rid of this thing altogether. Its such a money pit.

#3 ·
Sounds like your belts even though they were just replaced. It sounds like you may not have gotten them tight enough. I had the same problem on mine and it turned out to be the alt was not tensioning the belt enough so above idle it would squeal.

It could be something else but I would start there.

#4 ·
Also, check your exhaust/intake manifolds. They tend to vibrate loose and let air suck in from the outside. It makes a nice squealing noise sometimes. See if you can lift up and get any noticeable movement around the gasket area.

#7 ·
I third the impeller. Mine started squelling like a lil piggy and after pulling the water pump, I found that the impeller was digging into the housing, causing the squell.

#8 ·
Pull all the belts off. Start the engine and rev it briefly. If the squeeling stops, then you have begun isolating the problem. Begin to replace and tighten the belts one at a time. Start the engine each time you put on a new one till you either get them all on and tight or find the offending part..

#9 ·
Let's start with the water pump like BESRK suggested. Then it's very possible it could be the alternator or the power steering pump.
How many belts do you have? 2? The belt(s) could be to tight and cause a premature bearing failure.
My power steering belt is seprate from the alternator belt. If you can take one belt off and see if the part stops squealing. Then go to the next belt.
Or (it won't hurt the electrical), shoot some WD-40 on the parts one at a time an see which one stop making that hair raising racket.

#11 ·
OOps! Sorry jadams68, it's rough when senility starts setting in.
Besides, you guys all look alike to me! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.