Sputtering, Coughing, Loss of Power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Sputtering, Coughing, Loss of Power

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
AtlantaCJ7
1980 CJ7 

Sputtering, Coughing, Loss of Power

1980 cj7

I went thru a puddle last year, it wouldn't start after got it home. I went thru the plugs, distributor, and finally the air filter. It turns out I sucked up some dirty water thruthe intake and into the carb. I changed the air filter dried out the filter pan and it cranked right up. Since then it has a loss of power and it's spittering and coughing until it warms up...like 30 min of driving to get it really warm. Any thoughts on what is making it sputter? I tried to spray carb cleaner in the carb, about 15 small sprays, hoping to clear the jets. My next thought is to replace the fuel filter. Any other help? I have a carb rebuild kit but wanted to check u guys first. Thanks

AtlantaCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
moto450r
1985 CJ7 

Which carb do you have?
Unread 03-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
crouse11c
1985 CJ7 

What carb do you have. I would make sure you choke is working right. You my have hurt it a ill with that water. You can remove the filter off and cup the intake with your hand not allowing as much air in. Does this help it run better?

Change fuel filter just because!!!

Check all vacuum lines and PVC valve.

I would find out why temp is not getting warm. No or bad thermostat stuck open.

I would pull carb and look for any rust at all. Clean up the carb good. If you find any rust rebuild or replace.

That is where I would start if all these check out we move on. Also how does it idle when does it like to mess up.
crouse11c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
AtlantaCJ7
1980 CJ7 

I'll cup the carb, I haven't tried that. It's the standard carb. I replaced the fuel filter, it didn't fix it, which i didn't think it would but can't hurt.

I drove it for 10 min sputtering at low speeds, everytime losing power. It definitely feels like like an air/fuel thing.

I don't know how to check the choke or the vaccum lines...

I can take the carb off, no problem, how would u suggest to clean the carb? Completely rebuild or clean it w carb cleaner? Soak it or other?
Unread 03-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
crouse11c
1985 CJ7 

Cupping the intake when running will acts as a choke limiting the air that is getting in. It will also run better if there is a slight fuel issue. It doesn't always help. But if it makes a differance then I point at fuel or carb.
crouse11c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

With that much water around, I would first check out the distributor cap inside looking for carbon tracks. Second I would check the gas tank vent by driving with the gas cap cracked open. The vent canister has an air filter on the bottom.

If those don't show anything, I think I would next do a compression check. Water can damage pistons. If a sparkplug got steam blasted, it will look way cleaner than the rest.

Last I would be looking to the carb.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If all else fails I'd look at the ICM and coil.

Is there goo tracks running down from where the ICM mounts?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
AtlantaCJ7
1980 CJ7 

you think i have a compression problem? THat would suck. I looked at the spark plugs when it first happened and wouldnt crank, and they didnt look like they got steam blasted. Hopefully thats not it. i have been figuring its a fuel/air issue, ie a carb issue. granted i'm not the most knoweldgable, but whats the easiest way to rule 1 or the other out? Is there a way to really clean the carb out without having to totall rebuild it?

I drove it last night, and it starts up fine, although it takes 2 times each time to start it up. It sputtered intermittently until what i feel was when it was warm, which was 5-10 min, and it was noticably better...then i went to the store, and it drove almost 90% perfect after that...i didnt go up any big hills, but i felt like it had a good bit of power...i am wondering if this has to do with the engine warming up?

thnaks
Unread 03-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Check for damaged/bent p'rods. Sounds like you had a hydro. lock to some extent in the engine.
Do a compression ck.
LG
Unread 03-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Do a compression ck.
LG
This^^^^
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
AtlantaCJ7
1980 CJ7 

Appreciate everyone's insight....some problems have simple solutions. I googled cleaning the carb, and took the Venturi out, spray the heck out of that w carb cleaner and she runs like a dream. Thanks for the help. I highly recommend that solution on anyone that has an idle issue, it seems to be a very common thing w the carter bbd. That's saves a ton of cash.
Unread 03-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCJ7 View Post
Appreciate everyone's insight....some problems have simple solutions. I googled cleaning the carb, and took the Venturi out, spray the heck out of that w carb cleaner and she runs like a dream. Thanks for the help. I highly recommend that solution on anyone that has an idle issue, it seems to be a very common thing w the carter bbd. That's saves a ton of cash.
Lots of us also drill out the crimped end on the venturi tubes to 32 thou. This really helps let any dirt pass through. I use a set of welding torch tip files for this, but they do sell mini drill bits that size.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

There are a lot of different idle tube drilling size threads. Most of them asking the question.

I settled for .037 on the ones I drill out.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.