Sputter & Stall - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Sputter & Stall

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-30-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
nozzleram

Sputter & Stall

I am stumped with a nagging problem. I have a 77 CJ7 with the original 304/TH 400 and a D300 added to replace Quadratrac. The previous owner replaced the carb with an electric choke Motorcraft. My problem started a few weeks ago when taking off from a cold start. I would get about ľ mile down the road and the engine would sputter. As time progressed it would sputter and then stall. It would take several minutes before it would re-start. When I would open the butterfly I would see smoke coming up out of the carb. I tried allowing more warm up time but this doesnít seem to make any difference. Weather has been all types wet, dry, cool, and warm. After a couple of weeks trying to trouble shoot this problem it got worse. It started to sputter after hitting bumps on the road. This progressed to sputtering and then stalling after hitting bumps on the road. Same re-start problem. This may not be an issue but the connections for the EGR off the exhaust manifold are open. They rusted off and are just sitting there exposed. I plan to replace original manifold with a pair of headers next month. Now, to make matters even more confusing, the darn thing runs great when this problem isnít acting out. Gas mileage is the same crappy 10 MPG, power and torque is unchanged. Any thoughts on where to look or what to do?

nozzleram is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.