Springover question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Springover question

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 08-27-2002, 11:06 PM   #1
72 CJ

Springover question

When doing a spring over (72 CJ), what abolutely has to be done no matter what, for safety and drivability and what can wait for more funds. I found spring perches for the leafs, but have read about severe steering problems, death wobble, etc. Need some advice before tearing into it. Thanks

72 CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2002, 01:32 PM   #2
rebelcj7

When doing the soa, there are several key things to remember and do in order to be safe..
like youve already got, have to move spring percehs on top of axle, will have to get pinion rotated or shims, be better to get it roated, get te knuckles turned back on the front. either dpa or high steer, a track bar in the rear would be best. unless yer brave like some of us, get new sway bar disco's made or bought, drive shafts will have to be worked on. shocks..
But when talking about death wobble, the biggest thing in that is gettin the steering geometry correct, so unless uve done it before, find someone to help ya. might also need a t case drop kit, will help aout also.
Jus search around and figure out whats the best way for you. I love mine and wouldnt do it any other way..
some love it some hate it.. all a matter of personal preference..
A couple of companies make botl on kits, might even check into that, me i wouldnt, im cheap and like to fab stuff... but thts just me...
If you have any specific ?'s feel free to email me..

**MoROC Presidient**
rebelcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2002, 10:36 AM   #3
dana60cj

Bolt on kit from Full-Traction

Here is a link to Full Tractions bolt on SOA system. It is pricy though. It doesn't look like they really help you too much in the way of steering components either. They say it will ramp 1000 out of the box. I find it hard to believe that kit will not get you into trouble in other areas of the lift.

http://www.full-traction.com/boltonspoa.htm
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2002, 09:09 PM   #4
NMullens

I went to a local 4wheel shop and the owner said he would not do a spring over on a cj-5 but would on a 7. Safety issues was the reason. Im not sure which you have but probably something to keep in mind.
If you do go with it, keep us updated on the progress.
Unread 09-02-2002, 09:46 PM   #5
72 CJ

Thanks for the replies guys. I have 72 cj-5. Still weighing my options. If I decide to tackle it I will update everyone.
72 CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2002, 12:18 AM   #6
rebelcj7

dont do soa on a 5? shiat... ive got a 51 willy's, wich is even smaller then a 5, and ive got soa with 35's.. so yer local shop dun know wha there talkin bout..

**MoROC Presidient**
rebelcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.