Spring under and high steer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spring under and high steer?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
818scrambler

Spring under and high steer?

Ok heres the deal got a 79 cj project with no axles but has RE 4.5" springs and longer shackles. Picked up a scout front all rebuilt with high steer. The tabs where the tie rod mounts originally have been cut off the knuckle. Will the high steer work in a SUA?

818scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I doubt it. The tie rod will hit the frame when the suspension cycles. I have flat buggy arms on my toyota axle in a SUA configuration. I'm running the tie rod behind the axle and on the under side of the steering arm, which puts it under the highest point in the frame arch, and it is gonna be really close....I may have to slightly notch the frame.

If it's a true high steer arm with the tie rod on top of the arm there is no way it will work.......especially in front of the axle.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
818scrambler

Looks like it worked for this guy http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...74/index6.html . Only example I can find searching.

I'm going to have to try it because it's what I got. I'll get a blank flat pitman arm from parts mike so I can mount TRE on top of the pitman arm.
818scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
deadeye
1983 CJ7 

I have the same lift as you but with a narrowed chief axle.
I have my tie rod in the stock arm but the drag link in the high steer arm . It works for me.
83 CJ7, 350 TBI, TH350, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 E-locker, Ford 8.8, Detroit, 4:10 gears, 35x13.5x15s
"Just Exchange Every Part"
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

Make sure the height of the rod stays below the top edge of the bump stops. If you need to buy some time to get new knuckles, you could get larger bump stops. At the expense of articulation obviously...
wblackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818scrambler
Looks like it worked for this guy http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...74/index6.html . Only example I can find searching. I'm going to have to try it because it's what I got. I'll get a blank flat pitman arm from parts mike so I can mount TRE on top of the pitman arm.
If your arm is flat like that one it it should work. I'm used to seeing toyota arms that have a bend in them that push the tie rod a couple inches higher than that. That's why I had to order custom ones, to get away from the extra rise.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.