Spring swap with full widths? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spring swap with full widths?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Spring swap with full widths?

I'm already soa with my factory springs but I'm about to put some 3/4 - 1 ton axles under it and I am wondering if it is necessary to swap leaf springs in the front or rear? What leaf spring swap is the best? Which is easiest? Which is cheapest?

Vie been searching for a while and can't seem to find any info on this.
Any help at all is greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Alex

Unread 07-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

will most likely have to go "fullwidth" mounts in front... rear is optional... leave the springs in mounts under the frame for more articulation and less fab work or outboard them for more stability. as for springs I'd say going with YJ packs would be the easiest route but other popular ones are wagoner, XJ, Dakota and 52" chevy packs I do believe. the XJ and Dakota packs are off centered so the will stretch wheelbase too.
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_boy02
will most likely have to go "fullwidth" mounts in front... rear is optional... leave the springs in mounts under the frame for more articulation and less fab work or outboard them for more stability. as for springs I'd say going with YJ packs would be the easiest route but other popular ones are wagoner, XJ, Dakota and 52" chevy packs I do believe. the XJ and Dakota packs are off centered so the will stretch wheelbase too.
I don't want too big of a stretch:/ how much does the xj springs stretch? They have a ton of those at the junk yard right now that I could go pick up for really cheap. Could I keep stock cj springs in the rear and go with xj's in the front or are the xj's only made to go In the rear?
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

you can do front, rear or both... Most like to chop the spring eyes off of one pair and add another main leaf. I believe the stretch is around 6 inches. keep in mind that if you do the front you'll have all the steering components to move around and deal with including moving the box most likely... MUCH easier to do a rear stretch with a comp cut of sorts and hangers mounted off of rear bumper rather than under rear crossmember due to longer springs.
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
you can do front, rear or both... Most like to chop the spring eyes off of one pair and add another main leaf. I believe the stretch is around 6 inches. keep in mind that if you do the front you'll have all the steering components to move around and deal with including moving the box most likely... MUCH easier to do a rear stretch with a comp cut of sorts and hangers mounted off of rear bumper rather than under rear crossmember due to longer springs.
Should I do xj rear and put the stock cj rears in the front?
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

And also should I do shackle reversal at the same time? This jeep is a daily driver.
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Once I get the axles under I plan on wheeling it a lot more.
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

well there are many schools of thoughts on this... since its a daily driver the SRS would help with ride and streetability but some think that it tends not to work as well offroad, 6 of one and half dozen of other type of thing... being a daily driver down time is another issue and for that we get into the debate of going the easiest and least time consuming route or going fully devoted to the future needs/wants...

I would say since you are going to wheel it harder in the future you will also most likely go with larger tires too... which will need more lift... a SOA already sits purty high so at most a 2.5 inch lift spring to be used and lots of fender trimming... sooo, going to the length of cutting, moving, building/buying spring hangers and new rear bumper/shackle hangers and why not link it with coils on the cheap or just go coil overs??? ya know!

what size shoes are you running now? what do you plan? by daily driver do you mean 1: you can wheel/wrench on the weekends and HAVE to drive it to work during the week?... or 2: you have another vehicle you can/do use but you want to keep the jeep streetable because you do like to drive it around?
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
well there are many schools of thoughts on this... since its a daily driver the SRS would help with ride and streetability but some think that it tends not to work as well offroad, 6 of one and half dozen of other type of thing... being a daily driver down time is another issue and for that we get into the debate of going the easiest and least time consuming route or going fully devoted to the future needs/wants...

I would say since you are going to wheel it harder in the future you will also most likely go with larger tires too... which will need more lift... a SOA already sits purty high so at most a 2.5 inch lift spring to be used and lots of fender trimming... sooo, going to the length of cutting, moving, building/buying spring hangers and new rear bumper/shackle hangers and why not link it with coils on the cheap or just go coil overs??? ya know!

what size shoes are you running now? what do you plan? by daily driver do you mean 1: you can wheel/wrench on the weekends and HAVE to drive it to work during the week?... or 2: you have another vehicle you can/do use but you want to keep the jeep streetable because you do like to drive it around?
Well right now I have 33's but after the axles I want to run military 37's. this is my only vehicle. I daily drive it to work every day and wrench on it almost every weekend. I plan to one day make it just a toy and get tow rig. I really don't want to go with coils yet. Maybe once it's a trail rig toy. I should be able to clear 37's with just soa and the axle swap right?
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Also what's best to do about shocks? I only have like 4" of uptravel before I hit bump stops so I want a bunch of down travel to make up for it!
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

OK... then I would say stick with the stockers for now... just went over your profile... I'm assuming that's it in the pic? cant really tell but doesn't look SOA from that pic... got any others? If it is SOA on stockers I would look for a set of YJ packs to swap in along with the axles... especially for the front. Lets take a step back though and find out what we're working with... And remember, PICS ALWAYS HELP!!!
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
OK... then I would say stick with the stockers for now... just went over your profile... I'm assuming that's it in the pic? cant really tell but doesn't look SOA from that pic... got any others? If it is SOA on stockers I would look for a set of YJ packs to swap in along with the axles... especially for the front. Lets take a step back though and find out what we're working with... And remember, PICS ALWAYS HELP!!!
Haha that is it in the pic but before it was soa. Here's a pic now.

image-4258146402.jpg

It is soa on stock springs right now.
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

image-373499766.jpg

image-4286138213.jpg

image-1441026533.jpg
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Narrow track Dana 30/amc 20. T176 with a Dana 300. Stock springs and I think shocks too. I have a set of 4" cj lift springs laying around that maybe I could use for something. Also have a serif j10 springs but they are taken apart and idk how the go back:/
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

OK, and I see you have added a winch, good start! by swapping in Yj packs you will get a better, softer ride and more articulation. The only thing you will need to change is your front shackle hangers... as it sits now... you will need to outboard the front spring mounts to mount your full width axles. as for the bump stops, I didn't need to extend mine from factory length so you may be limiting it with out the need for it... I did change the shock mounts to help mount longer and more capable shocks... on the front use shock towers from a F-250, mid 90's I think... look like these

And on the rear rather than mounting shocks to the spring plate, use a plain square spring plate without shock bolts and weld on the lower shock mount to the axle tube.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.