Spring over suspension a good idea? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spring over suspension a good idea?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-10-2002, 05:11 PM   #1
jeepin cj-5

Spring over suspension a good idea?

I am looking to get a suspension system on my 73 cj-5 and i found this spring over kit with 5.5 inche of lift fpr th same price as most other say 2.5 and 4 inch lifts. Are there any problems witht he sprin over and also which is a bettr idea?

jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 07:48 PM   #2
CSP

All I want to know is where you found a spring over kit for a '73. I know of only two kits out there and both are for '76 and up CJ's. Only one of them is worth a darn. Hopefully you're not looking at the Full Traction kit.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 07:53 PM   #3
jeepin cj-5

Well im afraid to say that it is. I just re-read the thing in the magazine and it gives no dates but im guessin by the way u say it its a bad kit.
Unread 10-11-2002, 09:57 AM   #4
CSP

That kit is a joke. First of all it won't fit your Jeep. It's for '76 and up CJs. It does nothing to adress steering issues. A dropped pitman arm which it includes is fine on the street but does nothing but cause problems off road. Tie-rods/draglink will contact the springs in extreme articulation. Also the brackets used to mount the springs still hang below the axle tube. Getting additional ground clearance is one of the benefits of going spring over. This kit does nothing to increase ground clearance under the axle tubes.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2002, 11:21 AM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I personally think SOA is a good thing .. but only if its done right. Do the math, check the angles, get a grinder and welder and dive in. The ride and flex and height it gives outweighs any of the negative effects (missus can't climb in anymore )
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2002, 05:29 PM   #6
jeepin cj-5

HAve you eber seen any other spring over kits for a jeep as early as a 73? I like the idea and u say it gives better ride?
Unread 10-16-2002, 10:56 PM   #7
55-willys

i would also go with the spring over. but yes, you have to find out everything about it, what kind of problems. i dont see needing a kit. you can buy the spring perches and go from there. you almost have to put your axles under the springs to see what you might run into before you start cutting. make sure your going to be able to hook your drive shafts up, and so on. id find someone thats done it and see what they had to do to make everything work right.
Unread 10-16-2002, 10:58 PM   #8
55-willys

i dont know what price you were given for the kit, but on ebay you can buy some kits for around $400.00 which seems fair.
Unread 10-18-2002, 10:46 PM   #9
jeepin cj-5

What kits have you seen on ebay? Id like to get one but i am not sure exactly what i need and i dunno if they have one for the 73.
Unread 10-19-2002, 09:18 AM   #10
55-willys

look under suspension, or in ebay motors under jeep. you might have to contact an outfit thats selling alot of jeep lift kits for other years and ask them if they have a kit for yours. i found a 4 inch trailmaster kit for a 55-75 for $275.00. also try the willys tech site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.