JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   spring over? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/spring-over-1697/)

myke806 04-12-2002 01:52 PM

spring over?

i am looking for a cheap increase in lift right now. at least for until the summer. a guy told me to put the srings on top of the axles.... i had heard about it before but still have never heard about it enough to gauge an opinion on it. could yall help me out and let me know about them. pro's con's and things i will need to attempt this if possible. thanks

1980 cj5 304 all stock

V8wrangler_idaho 04-12-2002 02:04 PM

its a good lift give you better articutation and more clearance under the axle with the spring not under it anymore. I have heard that i also makes it ride better. Im looking into it myself and have heard alot of good things about it.

JeepN87 04-12-2002 02:18 PM

I got ?s about SOAs too. Do you need to buy any parts to do the SOA? What about the axles? Would the 30/35 combo on my jeep be able to take an SOA? How much total will this lift cost? Hope someone can answer all of those

myke806 04-13-2002 08:47 PM

as far as i have heard... you have to change the pitman arm and possibly the brake lines or atleast extensions.

also if anyone has an idea, about how much over all lift should it give me? thanks again

any info is helpfull.

Cophgnsnuf 04-13-2002 10:06 PM

Yeah SOA Kicks A&$ I have it on my CJ gives me about 6" of lift roughly without any type of other lift being done

Jacob 04-13-2002 11:10 PM

i did a SOA in my CJ5
it gave me about 5.5" of lift
all you need is new spring perches(JC Whitney or Rosser)
new break hoses
braided stainless steel are the best
you have to weld the spring perches to the top of the axle but make sure you compensate for the drive train angles
you could even do a shakle reversal while you have your springs off
you do need a dropped pitman arm if your jeep has a pitman arm
thats pretty much it
you might not even want to buy a lift when your finished
all together it will probably cost 50-100$
just an estimate

yj7redlion 05-19-2002 09:58 PM

this is pretty easy if your good with a welder. the lift gives the diameter of the axel tube plus the thickness of the springs for lift,in other words 5.5 on a jeep. i think it'd currey that sells a longer spring purch that is sapposed to limit axel wrap which is a big prob with these, you have to watch you steering geometry on the front also. other that,it's purches. brake lines, pitman arm, u-bolts, and time. The other prob is solving your shock delima by doing an soa you move your shock mounts 5.5" closer to the mount so you will have to devise a weld on type shock. if you have an older cj it's also a good idea to track down the newer front shock mounts which will give you a 4-5" higher shock mount in the front. it took 2 of us a good weekend to do. and mine was the second one we did. a yj was the first

yj7redlion 05-19-2002 10:02 PM

i would give it price range from $100-300. depending on if you can reuse your purchs, u-bolts, and shocks. you may also have to lower your drive shaft to get some of it back.

scrambler24 05-23-2002 10:48 AM

SOA's can have many hidden costs and to my experience can't be done for less than $300 if you do it all RIGHT! I am not a fan of cutting corners (although I do it all the time) and therefore you can be prepared to spend about the same doing a "Spring over axle" lift as you would for a good 4" lift package.
Seems as though the one thing most are forgetting (and can be done without if you dont do much offroading) is a longer rear drive shaft.
If your goal is to get up in the air to ride around town then it can be done cheap with the only major expense being the bigger tires you will want to fill the huge gap after your lift is done. but if you plan on going off the beaten path..... you need to do it right to save yourself headaches down the (off)road.
Extended brake lines......$80-100
rear drive shaft lenghtened and balanced...$50 ?
perches......$40
4" drop pitman arm.....$65
Thats the minimums you can get away with. Avg prices, I didn't look them up.

Other issues.....
relocating shock monts...flipping the shock plates to the top of the spring makes the mounting points for both front and rears too close to be useful. IF your shock mounts on the front are on the spring plates, you will have to cut them off to keep the bolt holes lined up( they are different on the drivers and pass sides up front.
New shocks now!

Sway bar mounts......cut them off and drive alot more carefully,ditch the sway bar....Or have new ones welded on the spring plates on the oposite side (again the bolt hole issues)

WOW.. I just realized your driving a CJ-5
that much lift and that short of wheel base are going to cause lots of driveline issues without a bunch of measuring and rewelding....U-joints are going to be a major problem.

and are you prepared to do all the welding and work yourself? dont forget labor if you're not.

Someone once told me the same thing
SOA's are cheap lift...thats if you have a garage full of extra parts to use up and all the tools to do it with.

I ended up spending about 800 doing mine. did all the work myself but I replaced the springs so the cost could have been reduced by about 300.

I will quit rambling. If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to ramble some more.

The time now is 10:32 PM.