Spring height help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spring height help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
ceej7
1985 CJ7 

Spring height help

how much lift will i gain ( if any ) from a stock wrangler spring swap on my stock spring (sprung ?) 85 cj7 renegade? I see stock wrangler springs on craigslist quite often for 50 - 100 per set and thought i could convert now for little $$$ and upgrade just the springs later. hoping for a little lift out of stock wranglers till then.

ceej7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Depends on what you have and what you buy.

Your CJ is a 258 with big bumpers but no hardtop or steel doors or winch. My guess is 3300lbs?
A YJ is what? 2800 to 3200 lbs?

My guess is that you will put more weight on the YJ springs than they were intended for and if they were light duty and yours were originally heavy duty it would sink. Moving to heavy duty springs would be a pain as they will flex less. You may end up slightly higher if your springs are very worn but it is not the intent of the swap.

The swap is aimed to give you wider and longer springs which allows more flex and comfort as the springs can be ....... springier.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
ceej7
1985 CJ7 

my cj is probably heavier as i have custom 4" pipe bumpers front and rear, hardtop / doors and custom rocker guards / sidesteps with 6 cyl engine. the stock springs are completely flat, even without top. just looking for a better ride/flex than i have without initial cost of the full blown yj lift conversion. i will eventually upgrade to OME (probably) 2 1/2 lift set up, but for now just want to upgrade my dd , and will probably go with crabtree hangers on used yj springs, then sell the used springs back on craigslist when time for upgrade. the jeep came with soft top originally so are the springs light duty?
ceej7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Here is a picture of my steering setup with my stock CJ springs. Notice the drag link and tie rod are perfectly parallel with each other.

Here is a picture of it with the YJ springs. The drag link and tie rod are still perfectly parallel with each other. Very little lift if any.

I though I was going to get a slight lift, but the YJ springs settled out as flat as the CJ springs. The rear did rise about 2", but that is because my rear springs were trashed.
My Jeep is also very light. Fiberglass everything, lightweight bumpers, stripped of anything not needed.

You can figure out spring rates by measuring the thickness of the spring pack. Here's the specs.
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

That also shows the Cj and wrangler both have 44" packs. If that's right why do you have to move the front shackle mount forward 1 1/8"?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
firemanjim7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Nevermind that last post. I saw the A&B measurements now.

firemanjim7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjim7
That also shows the Cj and wrangler both have 44" packs. If that's right why do you have to move the front shackle mount forward 1 1/8"?

Look at the A-B measurement. CJ's are 22 1/16. YJs are 22 11/16.
You would double that measurement.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.