Spring hanger question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spring hanger question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Myren
1979 CJ7 

Spring hanger question

Hey guys,
So I've got a 79 CJ-7 that is mostly unmodified. I was trying to fix the death wobble by replacing all of the steering/suspension bushings and adding some shims and while jacking the Jeep I noticed that the front left spring hanger wasn't attached very well. There was an attempted weld on the top but it didn't penetrate cause some PO tried to weld to the chassis paint.

Is it true that the hangers were only riveted from the factory? Would it cause a strength problem if I used the rivet hole on the bottom and drilled the top of the frame rail so I could use some grade 8 bolts to secure the hangers? The frame does look to be solid with only a little surface rust.

Also I have no welder, never welded and finances are tight right now. Just want to make sure it's safe till I can do a full rebuild.

Thanks,
Myren

Myren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

I believe mine are bolted not riveted. What does it look like now? Do you have any pics?
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
I believe mine are bolted not riveted. What does it look like now? Do you have any pics?
Yes, they are bolted on from the factory using two 7/16" bolts. The factory spring hangers (shackle brackets) have a hole in them to clear a frame rivet and that weakens them substantially. I discovered that one of mine was broken through one side of the clearance hole. I replaced both front brackets with heavy duty ones made by Tomken Machine. Theres a fellow on this forum that makes very nice ones milled from solid steel (chrome moly as I remember). I can't remember his name. Somebody will probably chime in with his name.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

The rear front spring hangers might be riveted and welded but the front shackle hanger should have two bolts and a hole that fits over a rivet head, but it's not riveted on.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Myren
1979 CJ7 

I'll get pics later as I'm at work. I'm talking about the spring hanger and not the shackle hanger, so it's the spring attachment point towards the center of the frame.
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Yeah, the smaller shackle hanger brackets at the corners are bolted on to the frame while the larger main hangers near the center are riveted on with large rivets that Ive never seen come loose. Also the outer tab of these are welded. Anyone who has tried to remove a main hanger can tell you how "attached" these are and not gong anywhere. I ground down both rivets below the surface and used a sledge hammer and had a hell of a time getting one rivet out. A plasma cutter is the way to go.
If your Jeep is driving bad with death wobble, It should be other issues than the frame hangers. You front left one is sandwiched between the frame and your steering box brackets so if its loose, so is your steering. It should have 3 bolts holding those brackets to the frame with no access to the top you mentioned. A picture of the described area would be helpful.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Hylke

1978 CJ7 

The front shackle hangers are bolted on originally using two 7/16-14 bolts (coarse anyway). The main eye IS riveted to the chassis.
Contact Jim1611 for his shackle hangers. He machines them and sells them as a set, front and rear. Both CJ and YJ.
Hylke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Myren
1979 CJ7 

Ok, got some pictures this morning....

In picture 1 the red is how much the hanger is moving and the green points to the dirt & oil that's been cleaned from the movement.

In picture 2 the green arrow shows the rivet and the red how much it's moved from the bottom of the hanger.

Picture 3 shows the rivet pushed back into place.

So if I removed the rivets & drilled to the top of the frame would that cause and weakness in the frame?

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Myren
hanger-1-arrow.jpg   hanger-2-arrow.jpg   hanger-3.jpg  

Last edited by Myren; 05-25-2012 at 09:44 AM..
Unread 05-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myren View Post
Ok, got some pictures this morning....

The red is how much the hanger is moving and the green points to the dirt & oil that's been cleaned from the movement.

The green arrow shows the rivet and the red how much it's moved from the bottom of the hanger.

This shows the rivet pushed back into place.

So if I removed the rivets & drilled to the top of the frame would that cause and weakness in the frame?

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Myren
For whatever reason your links are not showing up on the page but I can see them when I quote.

Anyhow, yeah that is no good. Bolts of the same diameter as the rivets should be fine if you could get a nut in there and hold it. I would also weld it again.
Unread 05-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Myren,

You really need to talk to Jim Crabtree of Crabtree Tool & Die who makes the best, most stout shackle hanger and kits out there. He is Jim1611 here on the forum and his website is:http://www.crabtreetool.com/
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
Myren,

You really need to talk to Jim Crabtree of Crabtree Tool & Die who makes the best, most stout shackle hanger and kits out there. He is Jim1611 here on the forum and his website is:http://www.crabtreetool.com/
You guys are still on the wrong end. Look at the pictures. He is having problems with the fixed end.
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Myren
1979 CJ7 

Sorry, here's picture 3 rotated correctly & smaller....
hanger-3.jpg  
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
CSP

A through bolt won't really weaken the frame, but you'd be much better off finding someone to weld that fixed mount to the frame.

The problem with through bolts is the potential is there to deform the frame as you tighten the bolts. The proper way to through bolt is to add a tubular spacer between the top and bottom of the frame rail that the bolt passes through, which also requires welding.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Hylke

1978 CJ7 

Well yes, that's the main eye, not the shackle. His story made me think of the shackle hanger though.
Hylke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Myren
1979 CJ7 

Yeah, I thought my terminology was throwing people off. I've only seen those called spring hangers and not main eye.
The over tightening makes sense and I never considered that..... Guess I gotta get a welder now

When I'm ready to tear down to the frame & rebuild I was gonna get Crabtree hangers anyway.

Thanks again for the help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.