Spraying Raptor Liner in CJ7: A few questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spraying Raptor Liner in CJ7: A few questions

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 09-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
cj7red
1985 CJ7 

Spraying Raptor Liner in CJ7: A few questions

So after researching different bed liners and calling up Line-X for a quote (I almost laughed when the guy said it would be $900) I decided to order the black raptor bed liner kit from Upol for a little over a hundred bucks.

I knew I would be doing some body work because I have minor rust in my driver side floor board and a few other dings and really minor rust spots throughout the tub. I'm brand new to body work and there are a few things I am unsure about and would like some suggestions.

1. Floor board rust
I called up my best buddy's dad to help me out since he has an old Chevelle that he restored nicely. I showed him the rust holes and he said it would be no problem to weld them up with his wire feed welder. I sanded and ground out the surface rust before I brought it over and he started workin on it. After a few attempts, he realized that he was running the welder too hot and it was cutting right through the metal, leaving the floorboards looking worse than they started. He was frustrated and embarrassed about his work and said he would be definitely giving it another go with some other materials from his work and possibly some sheet metal pieces for the bigger holes (the biggest one is no wider than 1/2 inch).
So now my question is, once he has fixed it up, should I use Bondo to smooth everything out and make it look original? Or, if he can't fix the holes, can I use bondo and some sort of patch to fill in the holes?

2. Will I need to disconnect any wires to spray the liner in the front of the tub?
Can I just tuck the wires up with painters tape? Is there anything I need to be really careful about?

3. Should I spray the top outside edges of the tub?
I was looking at some pictures and I really like the way it looks when there's that visible strip of black on the very top edge of the tub where a hard top would sit. My reason for asking is because I DO have a hard top that I have on from about October to April and I don't want to spray liner there if it's just going to be scraped off.

4. Should I use Bondo to fill in some dings, etc?
Or will the liner be thick enough to hide them?

I know that being happy with the finished product is all about prep, and I really want to get this done right the first time. Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

cj7red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
adman02
1979 CJ7 

FWIW, I was considering Raptor as well, but I ended up going with a product called Monstaliner. It's a roll on product vs. spray on which was good for me because I didn't have a spray set up.

I didn't do any "body work" prior to applying. I just scuffed the existing paint really good. I also wire wheeled the existing rust spots then applied POR15. The liner was pretty thick and it covered a lot of the imperfections really well. I did line the top edges of the tub and the door surrounds simply because I thought they'd be the most susceptible to wear and tear. Just tape off those parts, apply the liner and then remove the tape before the liner dries.
adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
1983 CJ7 

I filled the holes in my tub with steel but I don't remember if I covered any filler with Raptor.

Just mask everything you don't want covered with Raptor, it's a PIA to remove.

The tub edges and door sills are your call, it makes no difference otherwise.

It will fill minor dings.

I would buy a spare bottle or two if you can return them later, a little thick is better than thin IMHO.

I coated mine on both sides and I am very happy with it, time will tell if it's durable.

Unread 09-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

1. Tell your buddy's dad to try using a copper backing plate for his welds. It will dissipate the heat and help prevent blowing thru.

2. I can't think of any wires you'll have to disconnect in front. You'll have to get the tail-light pigtail out of your way, however.

3. I use some thin sticky-backed foam rubber strips to prevent my top from scratching the paint.

4. I think it depends on how deep the "dings" are. I had good luck smoothing out the shallow dents and scratches with Evercoat metal glaze. But I painted. The bedliner will probably hide a lot of the shallow stuff. I'd use a high-build filler, like Evercoat Rage Gold for any deeper dents. Bondo brand is generally frowned upon.

As for prep work, I'd try to sand any surface rust down to bare metal. I'd use a rust converter on areas I couldn't reach to sand. I think Raptor recommends priming any bare metal before application.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I didn't use the raptor lining, but I figure all of them have a lot of the same qualities. Mine did cover up some minor dings and made the larger ones less noticeable. Looks like all good advice above, but one thing I didn't see was (and I may have missed it) it's a good idea to cover any bolt holes with ear plugs or stick something in them. You will end up having to chase everyone of them if you don't. That stuff will get down in there and it is almost impossible to get a bolt started in them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
1983 CJ7 

I did that, HF bulk ear plugs are cheap and will save a lot of time down the road.
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Here's a pic of mine using the RAPTOR liner. I got the clear and mixed it with an original 84 color. "champagne metallic" if I remember correctly. Easy to spray on and it's held up great for 3 years now.

supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243
I filled the holes in my tub with steel but I don't remember if I covered any filler with Raptor.

Just mask everything you don't want covered with Raptor, it's a PIA to remove.

The tub edges and door sills are your call, it makes no difference otherwise.

It will fill minor dings.

I would buy a spare bottle or two if you can return them later, a little thick is better than thin IMHO.

I coated mine on both sides and I am very happy with it, time will tell if it's durable.
Nice job! Love the bottom being coated.
supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Only things I remember having to move /remove was the dimmer switch on the floor, the wire loom that runs under the driver door sill, the seat mounts and the seatbelts. You can mask them off or spray around them, but they are pretty easy to move out of the way. I left the parking brake cable in place and just masked it off because I didn't want to mess with it.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

I sprayed mine over the rails when I did it.

Make sure you scuff up the surfaces pretty good to allow for proper adhesion.
I have two small spots on the inside of my tub where I chipped it off, that being said, it was pretty smooth underneath those spots
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
cj7red
1985 CJ7 

Here are some pictures of the progress I've made on the floorboard. Putting on the last layer of bondo and sanding down this afternoon. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to match the grooves with my dremel.

image-2608007039.jpg

image-99825704.jpg

image-4081274709.jpg
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

From past experience: If you use bondo, make sure you treat the metal underneath with a rust inhibitor like Metal Ready or other Phosphor Etching stuff. Otherwise rust will thrive under it and your bondo will peel and crack faster.

I've used herculiner and monstaliner (also tons of spray can stuff, but that's really only ideal for touch ups). Monstaliner appears to be good stuff. Herculiner I would pass on for Raptor Liner or Monstaliner...which gives a much more full bodied look.

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
cj7red
1985 CJ7 

@kastraelie Thanks. I did spray some rust stopper on the rusted areas before spreading the bondo.
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Shooting the Raptor. IMO, a lot better then the roll on liner for the ease of application/looks.

Well since 2009 in the sun there is no fading. Good stuff.

First coat shot and out in the sun to bake

Having fun

Touch up out in the sun so I could see better

Finished, removing tape

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #15
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

I used this on my tub and I also used a Scotch Brite pad to scuff up before I shot the Raptor.

P.S. No rust either from sitting in the rain-Por-15 is awesome stuff.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.