Spray-on liners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spray-on liners

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
kosburn
1979 CJ7 

Spray-on liners

I am considering using a spray-on products on my CJ7. If someone has done this before can you recommend a brand that I should consider? I am really thinking about using the spray line on the whole jeep.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

kosburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i've used herculiner with good results, but i rolled it on. i think the most important part with all of them is the prep. if you get the prep right, it should do well.
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I bought herculiner and im spraying mine on. will post pics when i do it in the next couple weeks
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
the shootist
1982 CJ7 

I used Herculiner in my former tub and I hated it. The rubber particles in it begin to flake after any real use. It also looked terrible after a year or two.I am spraying on Monstaliner in the next few weeks. It does not have the rubber particles and in all the research I have done I have not found a bad review. The owner, Eric i think, is awesome too and the tech support has thus far been great (and I have not even ordered yet). They have a bunch of colors too, and you can request chips for free. I would go with that.
http://www.monstaliner.com/
the shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Stay away from Monstacrap unless you purchase a pair of ice skates because the surface gets very slick when wet. Also the customer service is not very desirable.
Personally I wish there was an easy way to remove it from my tub because it's dangerous!!!!
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
killnbusiness
1982 CJ7 

On my first CJ. I used the Herculiner for inside the tub, it turned out good but faded quickly. On my CJ7 that I'm working on now I sandblasted the the thing, interior and exterior and had it sprayed by Bullet liners with uv Procter so it doesn't fade. It's still shiny black, looks great and have had no issues with it. The underside of the tub they sprayed so it is almost slippery looking so nothing really sticks to it or washes off easily. The exterior has some texture to it but not much but I requested it that way. Overall I highly recommend it. Have pics if interested.
killnbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
chrisbscott
1982 CJ7 

Just sprayed Raptor by U-pol in my CJ7 last week, and it turned out awesome!! I paint cars as a profession and someone posted earlier in this thread that the most important part is the prep work and they are exactly right. You can use the most expensive spray in bedliner on the market, but if your surface isn't cleaned properly, scuffed properly and free of dirt and grease, it will end up peeling and flaking just like a paint job.
image-1214758130.jpg

image-710253177.jpg

chrisbscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

+1 for raptor liner here. And NAPA carries it I found out now (not sure if they always did though).
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

What's your version of 'Spray On'?
Spray cans?

Limited with spray cans, and the stuff is usually too light duty to stand up to much.

Now, if you get an undercoating gun off E-bay you can spray on most of the heavy liners that are normally 'Roll On' for the average user.

I find that a $20 Undercoating gun does a great job,
Sprays those 'Chunks' of stuff in the textured liner,
Makes the inside of the tub a 10 minute per coat job, MUCH faster than and less mess than rollers,
And the guns are cheap/disposable!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
chrisbscott
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
What's your version of 'Spray On'? Spray cans? Limited with spray cans, and the stuff is usually too light duty to stand up to much. Now, if you get an undercoating gun off E-bay you can spray on most of the heavy liners that are normally 'Roll On' for the average user. I find that a $20 Undercoating gun does a great job, Sprays those 'Chunks' of stuff in the textured liner, Makes the inside of the tub a 10 minute per coat job, MUCH faster than and less mess than rollers, And the guns are cheap/disposable!
Agree with everything here. You can actually get the kit I used made by U-Pol with a gun for about 140-150. If you don't want to wait on shipping check your local auto paint suppliers, they all carry them as well. Comes with 4 qts of product plus a qt of hardener, which is more than enough for the inside of a jeep tub. I had a full qt left over to use on my jungle rack and on my soon to be new front bumper!
Unread 02-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

I also sprayed Raptor Liner last weekend and it was incredibly easy. I like the texture of Raptor linear a whole lot better than all of the other DIY products.

Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
tjeep1
1978 CJ7 

monsta liner

i used monsta liner and if you do i would reccomend primer first,it covers 10 times better imo. i primed most of mine but the spots i didnt use primer were a PIA AGAIN IMO
tjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #13
chrisbscott
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjeep1
i used monsta liner and if you do i would reccomend primer first,it covers 10 times better imo. i primed most of mine but the spots i didnt use primer were a PIA AGAIN IMO
If you have any rust or bare metal you should be using a self etching primer, and I would suggest that you do the whole surface with it anyway - it will help the endurance of your bedliner.
Unread 02-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #14
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbscott View Post
If you have any rust or bare metal you should be using a self etching primer, and I would suggest that you do the whole surface with it anyway - it will help the endurance of your bedliner.
Should fix the rust before painting over it first. I not your just going to end up replacing more later on.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #15
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I would clean up (ALL) the rust and use a good epoxy primer to seal off any future moisture, seam sealer where necessary, then lay my liner. At least thats what im doing. Anyone feel free to chime in because I can do that much when it comes to body work myself but the rest is for the pros.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.