Spray in liner or vinyl floor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spray in liner or vinyl floor?

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
FireEngineRed
1980 CJ7 

Spray in liner or vinyl floor?

Has anyone had experience with both and prefer one over the other? If so, what are the pros and cons of each? Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks! Here is a link to something i was looking into. ACC Molded Carpet Kits - Cut Pile CJ7

FireEngineRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

I got a vinyl floor at one point.. I hated it. I couldn't get it to line up, it was hard as a rock in the winter time. I was always trying to kick the corners in.. grr I'm getting annoyed thinking about it right now.

That said, I ripped it out, threw it in the dumpster, and herculined my interior. One of the best things I've done to the interior to date. I wouldn't even consider doing anything else.

Just my .02 -- I'm sure others have had better experiences with the vinyl. But the majority of CJers I've noticed go with the herc/raptor/monster/etc interior.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

I would think the Vinyl would be like the Vinyl bed liners they put in trucks, my Dodge Dakota, it trapped the water underneath. 6 months after I bought I just happen to pull it out and it looked like my bed was 6 or 7 yrs old from all the rust. It took me the entire weekend to wire brush it out. Then after I cleaned it through out the week, the next weekend one quick wipe down and sprayed Raptor for the first time and it is all I've used since.
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
FireEngineRed
1980 CJ7 

Thanks guys. Moisture getting trapped underneath was a main concern of mine. I will be going with the spary/roll in liner.
FireEngineRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

You won't regret it. It's going to be a little more work but it'll probably cost you less, and be a better product in the long run.

I think I spent $100 on a (1) gallon bucket and a roller at autozone. And maybe $6 on a can of acetone. The rest is time/labor which CJs are infamous for sucking up.

Good luck, take some before/after pics! We love those.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Daladim
1982 CJ7 

I was debating this myself a while back, but then got to thinking, why not do both? I want to have some insulation and sound deadening as well as floor protection, and I don't want to have cancer form again once I get rid of the cancer I have now. So I was thinking of going with a good thick coat of bedliner after getting the floor repaired, then throw some automotive insulation around the front of the cab, and lay down a vinyl floor covering for the entire tub. It was mentioned that it is tough to make them fit, but I would think with a bit of ingenuity and a sharp blade, you should be able to make a near perfect fit with it, so long as it is a molded covering. If you buy just a big chunk of vinyl sheet, then you will always have problems with fit around the tranny hump and under the pedals and stuff like that.

I don't know, it's worth a try I guess. I just want to make sure my Jeep is quiet(er) and warm in the winter, since I live in the northern part of the country. If it doesn't work, at least I tried. And if I get a good thick coat of liner in there first, I shouldn't have a problem with cancer due to moisture build up. Mildew maybe, but not rust.

This is the carpet I plan on going with:
Auto Custom Carpets 3863-16 - Auto Custom Carpets Custom Fit Vinyl Floor Cover Set for 76-95 Jeep® CJ-7 & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec
Daladim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Jason790812
1981 CJ7 

I've got vinyl and the reason why is becuase if you ever want to get that Herculiner or Line-X out, it will be a PITA. Vinyl you can just chunk, I bought a preformed kit from Quadratec and even though it says it was preformed I still had to trim it to make it fit, but I love it.
Jason790812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.