Spray can paint jobs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spray can paint jobs

Steering Y-Link Adapter!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Our Panhard / Trackbar brackets, Variations......

Unread 02-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
firecap1962
1983 CJ7 

Spray can paint jobs

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/t.../Eugene024.jpg for those of you that have used spray cans for paint jobs, do they last? Love this one , used krylon on this one.

firecap1962 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

They do not last as long as an "automotive paint" paint job for one very simple reason: they lack a hardener. Spray cans by their very nature must have a long shelf life; otherwise they would dry up sitting on the shelf. When automotive or industrial paint is applied with a gun, a hardener is added so that the paint will dry completely and make the finish durable. Have you ever used a spray can to paint an engine block? Ever notice they scratch easily? This is why.

There are special spray cans available from automotive paint stores, where they can actually "make up" some refinishing paint for you. It's a special two part can that allows you to mix the hardener into the paint before applying. Once the hardener is added though, the paint must be used and will not last very long in the can even if not used. the purpose for these cans are for repairing a small dent. They're very expensive at about $25+ per can and the can does not spread as far as the traditional rattle can. You'd be better off purchasing a spray gun.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

For a cheap paint job that will last better than a rattle can try implement enamel. At $30 a gallon it will be cheaper than rattle cans but, still will not look as good as long as automotive paint.
Unread 02-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Rattle cans have their place. If the jeep is a trail rig, or not worth the cost of "real" paint job, rattle cans are the way to go. From my experience, direct sunlight is the main killer of a rattle can job. My first CJ lived outside. About once a year, I'd have to hit the hood and tops of the fenders. Other wise, that paint looked great for years. As a bonus, any body damage, tree rubs, etc. were easily covered up.

Unread 02-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
rj1984cj7
1984 CJ7 

rattle can

Here's mine. Lasted 2yrs.
img_0797.jpg   007.jpg   168.jpg  

Last edited by rj1984cj7; 02-17-2015 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: before and after
rj1984cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
IFADAT
1976 CJ7 

7 cans of Duplicolor.

IFADAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFADAT View Post
7 cans of Duplicolor.
7 cans of Duplicolor @ around $5 per can equals $35. 1 gallon of implement paint is $30, and is more stable in the sun. And there should be enough left over for touch-up after trail damage.
Unread 02-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

^^^But that doesn't take into account that the rattle can comes complete with the "applicator" and has a much simpler "clean up factor". I agree with you that I'd rather just do it once, but if you think you want to do something, if you think long and hard enough, you can justify it.

Fortunately, we each have our own Jeeps and can do as we see fit. We also don't know the OP's long term plans and goals. All we can do is offer the information that he asked for and add some "editorial content" on the matter.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I just got quoted $210 for a gallon of Almond beige, hardner, and reducer for my single stage paint job i plan to do in may and another $55 for a gallon of epoxy primer with its activator. Going to get the Devilbliss 3 gun set and try this painting thing on my own the right way. wish me luck
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
^^^But that doesn't take into account that the rattle can comes complete with the "applicator" and has a much simpler "clean up factor". I agree with you that I'd rather just do it once, but if you think you want to do something, if you think long and hard enough, you can justify it.

Fortunately, we each have our own Jeeps and can do as we see fit. We also don't know the OP's long term plans and goals. All we can do is offer the information that he asked for and add some "editorial content" on the matter.
Just pointing out the minimal savings of rattlecan vs. implement paint. There are other choices than an actual spray gun and compressor. But they add cost in another way, with consumables. Know a lot of people do not think about implement paint as it is not on the shelves at your local big-box-retailer.

If he does go with the rattlecan needs to be sure to pick up a handle/trigger for it. Does not take long for that little button to make a permanent indentation in your finger tip!

Not really a fan of either paint but, will probably go with implement paint for my chassis and under body just because I don't need $200+ per gallon paint on the under side.
Unread 02-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #11
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

You could do the prep work and then take it to Earl's place for a $99.99 spray job. By the time you buy the paint, primer, guns (if you don't already have them), and all the time mixing and cleaning. The $100 isn't so bad. Sure can't look any worse than spray canning it in the driveway.
Unread 02-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #12
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj1984cj7 View Post
Here's mine. Lasted 2yrs.
I'm digging the "patina" look.
Unread 02-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #13
capt205
1983 CJ7 

14242187065460.jpg
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 02:14 AM   #14
raven3
1973 CJ5 

Finally decided to paint my CJ using, "Dupli-Color Engine Enamel" from a rattle can.
Currently painting the tub interior with everything removed, including instrument panel & wiring. This CJ has no heater.

Made up a dozen samples of different spray can products on aluminum plate substrate.

Found Dupli-Color engine enamel product to have the best peel and scratch reistance of any other alkyd or modified alkyd paint with a sheen rating factor of 90+ @ 60 degress. This product has an excellent fine mist spray nozzle and surface cures quickly to minimize any dust contamination. Touch up is easy. No environmental issues. My last paint job was 20 years ago using catalyzed urethane using the 'Preval" replacement power unit system.
Considered all options this time around, including catalyzed urethane.

If looking for show, would go with epoxy primer, urethane base and multiple clear coats.

Used Rustoleum rusty metal primer(brown) on bare metal, then Rustoleum clean metal primer (white)over the rusty metal primer. The paint deveops better true color over white colored primer. Painted an irrigation steel tank that was total deep rust on 100% of exterior surface about 4 years ago with Rustoleum rusty metal primer with a brush. No sign of any rust bleed through to date.

Some of the floor sheet metal parts were painted using gloss black Dupli-color engine spray can paint and then heated in the oven at 200F after 3 days of ambient cure. Gloss finish is really hard. Believe the ceramic in the paint adds something to the durability and scratch reistance.

All of the seat support frame parts will also be painted with Dupli-Color engine enamel and then baked at 200F for about one hour.

Also experimenting using a heat gun on the engine enamel painted surfaces for wrinkle reistance.

Try using a heat gun on your urethane paint.
raven3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #15
rj1984cj7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
I'm digging the "patina" look.
Can't really take credit for it. I stole the idea from this Rat Rod. It hides a bunch of stuff!
rickys-phone-005.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.