Spray in bedliner > You Do It - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spray in bedliner > You Do It

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #46
sikdogg

Here's a link on Ebay... $116.00 shipped to your door.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...216877125&rd=1

sikdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #47
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

I ordered mine from TIP Plus Corp $109.95 to my door.
WWW.tptools.com
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #48
NCHornet

Thanks y'all for the help. Hopefully I will get the tub back on her tomorrow evening, then I can prep the inside of the tub and get it sprayed. Can't wait to get this thing on the road again.
NCH
16 year old son and I [/COLOR]

[URL="http://community.webshots.com/photo/2852549530062001545LlpPyR"]http://community.webshots.com/photo/2852549530062001545LlpPyR[/URL]
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #49
turpehar
Web Weiner

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Can somebody please post a link to where I can buy this kit? I did a search on Ebay for raptor bedliner and came up with 0, searched bedliner and didn't find anything called Raptor, followed the link on the previous page of this post and I didn't see a kit that comes with a gun? They had a 4 bottle kit for $99.99 and then the gun is another $20, the OP said he paid $103 for everything. Thanks for the help.
I do have a question. I had some small rust holes in groups, I repaired these by applying patches from beneath with KBS coatings applied to all surfaces and held on with that special sheetmetal glue that body shops use. These things are on there!!!! This creates a slight dip from the inside the thickness of the floorboard material, about 1/16" of a inch. Is this bedliner thick enough to smooth these areas out or should I use bondo, or fiberglass or .....? to make a flush surface before applying the liner material. Thanks for the help.
Kevin

Obviously prices have gone up, and since I haven't bought any since last fall I'm sure $103 is stretching it.

As for filling your low spots, I would suggest using fiberglass resin. You can use high dollar/quality stuff, but the Bondo brand at Walmart works. It's not going to fall off until your floor rusts completely out. Persoanlly I would not you plastic body filler. When moister crepes in, it wil start to pop put. Goos luck

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $² = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #50
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

That looks excellent! I am patching up my used and abused glass body right now and was looking at a kit for about 60 bucks thats supposed to be enough for a truck bed but it's applied with a roller. I don't recall the brand but has anyone tried it and does it look as sharp as this?
Unread 05-17-2008, 03:02 AM   #51
federalofcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpehar View Post
As new as your rig is, you could probably do it in a day. It took me four evening but I spent a lot of time working over some fiberglass issues.

Strip the interioir parts that cannot be covered.
Wash with soapy water
Use a grease/wax/silicone remover on parts to be covered.
Sand with 100 grit dry paper
Use a grease/wax/silicone remover on parts to be covered.
Mask
Shoot

When your done, you'll be a pro
What kind of grease/wax/silicone remover did you use?
federalofcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #52
SKT
1981 CJ7 

How does this stuff hold up to the sun?

I have Rhino lining in my truck bed which stays covered the majority of the time and it is faded bad!

I don't plan to run a top on my CJ, so therefore concerned that it will fade bad.

Any insight would be great.

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #53
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Not sure about the u pol or the other products but with the Herculiner it is a must to spray the UV protect ant within 24 hours. I bought 4 qts of the Herculiner UV thinking it would really soak it up but ended up only using one for the interior and that was putting down 3 coats.
Unread 05-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #54
Uncle Russ
1984 CJ7 

I applied a Herculiner last weekend, since I don't have a compressor, a roll-in liner was the path for me and Herculiner seems to have the best rep amongst roll-ins. What I thought would be a 2-day job ended up being a 3-day job because of seized bolts and a lot more rust than I was expecting, especially under the roll bar forward mounts.

Regardless of if you go roll-on or spray-on, take your time and prep the tub correctlly. With my tub, I wire brushed (using a drill and a wire brush) all the rust off I could, then degreased using a biodegradable degreaser. From there, I used the POR15 "Metal Ready" phosphoric acid rust remover. After I hosed that off and let the tub dry, I applied a generous coating of POR15 to all the rusted areas. Once the POR15 dried, I roughed up the entire tub with the scotchbrite pad that comes in the Herculiner kit then wiped the tub down with acetone. I masked everywhere I didn't want the liner to go. It's a great idea to use those foam earplugs to protect all the bolt holes in the tub. I cut small pieces of masking tape, which worked, but were time consuming to cut and remove, wish I had used the foam plugs. Once you're done with the masking, you're ready to apply the liner. The Herculiner kit comes with a 2-in paintbrush to use in the corners and other places where the roller won't reach. Since you're supposed to 'dab' the liner on (i.e. don't brush it on), I think it would work better if you used one of those short round brushes they use for stenciling or applying stucco.

I found I used the brush quite a bit more than what the instructions suggested...which, I think, helped add uniformity to the coating.

Here's a pic after I had the first coat applied.

Here's what the Jeep looks like after the 2nd coat was dry and I got the seats/roll bar/console back in:

The second coat really added some depth to the liner. The Herculiner also did a great job of filling in the rough spots where the rust had eaten into the sheet metal under the roll bar's forward attach points and the floor pans. Even with a generous second coat, I still have about an 1/8th of a gallon left in the can.

So far, I've been really happy with the Herculiner, we'll see how well it holds up. I did notice the black color makes the interior seem smaller/more cozy than when it was blue body paint and black seats. Strange how colors can affect our perceptions!
-- Robert Earl Keen

Military Jeepers Click Here!

Last edited by Uncle Russ; 05-19-2008 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: add after pics
Uncle Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #55
swampus
1980 CJ5 

Great Thread!
All the lessons will come in handy as this is what I will be doing on my next "Monster Jeep" project!...............Now off to get them seats out!--All the pic's look great!

I Hunted Mule Deer up in Alpine Tx last year and my Buddy/ Guide had his Jeep Wagoneer w/ High Rack all done with a Camo Style bedliner--The whole Jeep exterior and Rack! Looked great and hid alot of body "Stuff"--I am doing the same to my 80' CJ 5 now! I'll post pic's of the job!

Tks!

swampus!
swampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #56
turpehar
Web Weiner

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by federalofcr View Post
What kind of grease/wax/silicone remover did you use?
The brand doesn't really matter. You can go to your local auto paint store and buy a gallon. It's cost you under $20. So many uses. I never run out but I paint alot so it's a staple.

Unread 05-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #57
turpehar
Web Weiner

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post
How does this stuff hold up to the sun?

I have Rhino lining in my truck bed which stays covered the majority of the time and it is faded bad!

I don't plan to run a top on my CJ, so therefore concerned that it will fade bad.

Any insight would be great.

I have a Rhino in my (oops wifes truck) that is a 2001 bought in Sept 2000. It still looks pretty good and not faded. At the time spray in bedliners wasn't a competitive market like it is today so it cost just under $500. As for it fading you can look at it like this, spray it every third year to freshen up. So after about ten years you've got about $300 in it. Yea I'm sure it would get thick but you get the idea.

Unread 05-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #58
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

Sprayed the Raptor in this weekend. This stuff is awesome!

jbramble24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #59
blacklabel000
1996 XJ Cherokee 

just sent my order in at tp tools!!! 109.95 your jeeps look great guys
blacklabel000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #60
turpehar
Web Weiner

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbramble24 View Post
Sprayed the Raptor in this weekend. This stuff is awesome!

Glad it turned out, and it looks great. Can you please let everyone know how truly easy it was to perform the whole process. There are a lot of people who don't think they should take a task like this on.

The hardest part is getting it ready to spray. Spraying is a snooze.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.