Spray in bedliner > You Do It - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spray in bedliner > You Do It

JKS Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 04-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #31
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

The Raptor stuff looks like exactly what I have been looking for. Professional applications (Line-x, Rhino) are running around $700-800 from my local dealers. I have been looking into the Herculiner but it looks way too rough and hard to clean.

Is it easy to clean? How much texture does it have?

How does it work with masking off areas and then removing the tape? Easy as long as it is removed shortly after the liner is applied?

How thick of a coat did you end up with?

What solvent/cleaner do you use with it?

Thanks and yours looks great!

jbramble24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #32
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbramble24 View Post
Is it easy to clean?
I just hose it out. If I want it really clean I use a soft bristle brush with soapy water.

How much texture does it have?
It has a much as you want. The distance from the contact of the surface and the gun can make a difference in how rough/smooth it turns out.

How does it work with masking off areas and then removing the tape?
I removed the masking tape as soon as I could touch the spray without any sticking to my finger. Try that on the masking tape. Always pull your tape away from the edge, not toward it.

Easy as long as it is removed shortly after the liner is applied?
Yes, easy.

How thick of a coat did you end up with?
That depends on how many coats you want to put on. I used three of the four litre bottles and it seems about half as thick as the Rhino liner in my wifes truck. But I won't be hauling wood with it either

What solvent/cleaner do you use with it?
Laquer thinner is your best friend here. Please wear latex gloves and a filtered painting mask. This stuff is basically the same as Urethane auto paint. If you get it on your skin get it off asap. I used a cloth dampend with laquer thinner (OHSO wasn't watching). If it totally dries on your skin it will take a good week for it to come off no matter what you do. You can only rub so hard.

I hope I answered you questions. This is a job you can do, no problermo~
Please send pic's of your process and tell us your tricks.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #33
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

Thanks alot for the info. This looks like a great product. I don't want the rubbery feel and texture of the Herculiner. I may go ahead and use all four of the bottles for a slightly thicker coat in some areas but like you said, I won't be hauling wood in it either, just a couple of hounds! It may be a couple of months but I'll post some pics when I do it.
Unread 05-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #34
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbramble24 View Post
Thanks alot for the info. This looks like a great product. I don't want the rubbery feel and texture of the Herculiner. I may go ahead and use all four of the bottles for a slightly thicker coat in some areas but like you said, I won't be hauling wood in it either, just a couple of hounds! It may be a couple of months but I'll post some pics when I do it.

As new as your rig is, you could probably do it in a day. It took me four evening but I spent a lot of time working over some fiberglass issues.

Strip the interioir parts that cannot be covered.
Wash with soapy water
Use a grease/wax/silicone remover on parts to be covered.
Sand with 100 grit dry paper
Use a grease/wax/silicone remover on parts to be covered.
Mask
Shoot

When your done, you'll be a pro

Unread 05-07-2008, 02:20 AM   #35
rallynut78
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the write up this is up there on my list of mods!!!
rallynut78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #36
mac5551212
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be U-Pol-ing my tj this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes and make sure to post pictures.
mac5551212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #37
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac5551212 View Post
I'll be U-Pol-ing my tj this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes and make sure to post pictures.
Excellent! I plan on doing mine sometime soon. I ordered my kit on Tuesday so I'm hoping it gets here soon. I'm quite interested in some pics of the liner over the top rail of the tub and also on the door sills if you plan on doing that.

Have fun!
Unread 05-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #38
AngleOfRepose
1979 CJ5 

That looks great.
I'm planning the same proceedure, only I was going to use the same guy that put in my Rhino Liner in the bed of my truck. But after looking at how yours looks, I think I'll go this route.
Incredible job, thanks for the share.
Unread 05-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #39
chiadog2000
1983 CJ7 

Just did mine the other day and it turned out great. Couldn't be happier. I read somewhere that your supposed to retape after each application, but I left it on for all coats and the tape came off very easy. I didn't have to score it or anything. Thanks for all the tips!
chiadog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #40
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiadog2000 View Post
Just did mine the other day and it turned out great. Couldn't be happier. I read somewhere that your supposed to retape after each application, but I left it on for all coats and the tape came off very easy. I didn't have to score it or anything. Thanks for all the tips!

I've done a few of these with Raptor and the tape always comes off clean. The key is to take the tape of as soon as the spray is tack free. Tack free means that if you touch it with your finger, none will stick to it. I test on the tape itself. Make sure you pull the tape away from the sprayed surface and back towards the tape itself.

Unread 05-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #41
mac5551212
2000 TJ Wrangler 

For those of you with u-pol how scratch resistant is it and how long did it take yours to fully cure? Mine was sitting for around 3 days and I noticed that I scratched a bit off when I put on the rear seat belts, luckily it's hidden and only a small patch. I know the instructions say it takes 5-7 days to fully cure but was anyone able to notice this?
Unread 05-15-2008, 05:31 AM   #42
NCHornet

Can somebody please post a link to where I can buy this kit? I did a search on Ebay for raptor bedliner and came up with 0, searched bedliner and didn't find anything called Raptor, followed the link on the previous page of this post and I didn't see a kit that comes with a gun? They had a 4 bottle kit for $99.99 and then the gun is another $20, the OP said he paid $103 for everything. Thanks for the help.
I do have a question. I had some small rust holes in groups, I repaired these by applying patches from beneath with KBS coatings applied to all surfaces and held on with that special sheetmetal glue that body shops use. These things are on there!!!! This creates a slight dip from the inside the thickness of the floorboard material, about 1/16" of a inch. Is this bedliner thick enough to smooth these areas out or should I use bondo, or fiberglass or .....? to make a flush surface before applying the liner material. Thanks for the help.
Kevin
16 year old son and I [/COLOR]

[URL="http://community.webshots.com/photo/2852549530062001545LlpPyR"]http://community.webshots.com/photo/2852549530062001545LlpPyR[/URL]
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #43
mac5551212
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I bought mine off of tptools http://www.tptools.com/Product.aspx?display_id=2600
Unread 05-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #44
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

This is where I ordered mine from. I haven't seen it for as low as $103.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsd18.aspx

Depending on how heavy you apply the liner, it might smooth it out but I would hit it with some bondo first just to be sure.
Unread 05-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #45
chiadog2000
1983 CJ7 

I would hit it with some bondo first. From ebay, search U-Pol, not raptor. But the prices are similar to what the others have shown. It's going to cost anywhere from $115 to $120 shipped to you.
chiadog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.