Spray in bedliner > You Do It - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spray in bedliner > You Do It

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 07-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #316
mtndrew
1983 CJ7 

The raptor does not stay rubbery

mtndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #317
Skid1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This thread is starting to go off topic just a tad. I'm not certain, but it could be possible that Mlaughlin8 built his CJ the way he wanted and not for us. He was just showing his bedlined CJ. Next time Mlaughlin8, be sure to check with us before any further mods.
Skid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #318
StuddMuffinz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just finished lining my tj with raptor and LOVE it. The people that I have been working for took the week for vacation, so I literally had all the time in the world to work on it. Started Monday and by putting in at least 5 or so hours a day into prep work (I'm a perfectionist), it was ready to spray by Saturday. Went and bought a couple cans of rustoleum spray primer, and after that was cured I went to town. Even with never having any experience with a compressr-powered sprayer, I think it turned out awwwweesome. Other than a few user errors (missing a spot or two behind the roll bar, and letting the tape sit a tad too long, peeling up a bit of liner with it) I am suuper satisfied. Definitely recommended
StuddMuffinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #319
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid1 View Post
StuddMuffinz- From what I've read on here, those 3 are like Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. You are either a fan of one, but not the others. Not sure how well any of them hold up after 3 years since no one has posted a before and after photos, but I think I will go with the Raptor from U-Pol. I liked what I saw, and I have a spray gun and 30gal compressor. Just need it to quit raining here for a few days. I'm sure you will do fine with which ever product you choose. Just don't shortcut the prep work, as that will make or break your project.
Don't use your regular gun for Raptor, you need a Shutz? gun that is meant for the thick material, one comes with the 4 quart kit. It just screws onto the Raptor bottle after you add the hardener and shake it. Super easy to spray, no experience required. I think I used about 40 psi.

When cured, the Raptor has a pebble surface, not abrasive, but is quite hard and wipes down easily, unlike what I have heard about the rubbery type liners like Herculiner. Installed my almost 2 years ago and still looks like new.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my-paint-job-893564/ Start at about Post #7 for Raptor comments and a pic.
Unread 08-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #320
RevN3
1980 CJ5 

Looks like TP tools is still selling the same kit on ebay for $111 w/shipping. Couldn't find it on their regular website though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
RevN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #321
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevN3 View Post
Looks like TP tools is still selling the same kit on ebay for $111 w/shipping. Couldn't find it on their regular website though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
good price; thanks for the link!
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #322
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is mine. I did it last summer (2010). I am not happy at all. This stuff is way to thin. It looks pretty but if you throw something in the back like wood or something with an edge, it will cut right through it. I am going to put Al's over the top of this. Same price, looks like it has some thickness to it.

Just my 2 cents.
imag0098.jpg  
Double_DD-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #323
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Looks like a prep problem to me, it is not supposed to be applied to bare metal, which you can obviously see under yours. The thickness of the material is up to the person applying it. The amount of hardener used will also affect its durability.

The trailer floor we covered over two years ago has gone through the normal wear and tear and it still looks the same as the day we applied it.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #324
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

From the U-Pol instructions:
Preparation:
U-Pol's Truck Bed Liner can be applied to most original manufacturers finishes. The surface should be lightly scuffed, and free from dirt and rust. For best results bare metal should be treated w/ suitable etch primer. (eg. U-Pol Acid#8).

So it was well eched and upol's acid used. So you can say that it's my fault etc. But it's not. The idea behind this tread is to give the pro's / con's of this product or that. I am saying that I read this thread and was fired up to use the raptor product, and I obviously did. I don't regret using the product but I am very unhappy with the results. I wanted it to be thicker similar to a line-x product. I am a firm believer in you get what you paid for and unfortunately for me...

FWIW: it's peeling up because my master cylinder is leaking. I feel like it should hold up against hydraulic fluid...
Unread 10-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #325
mike76CJ5

1976 CJ5 

^^ I'm sure a coat of Al's over the top of stuff you dont like will make everything better. ^^
mike76CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #326
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_DD-s View Post
From the U-Pol instructions:
Preparation:
U-Pol's Truck Bed Liner can be applied to most original manufacturers finishes. The surface should be lightly scuffed, and free from dirt and rust. For best results bare metal should be treated w/ suitable etch primer. (eg. U-Pol Acid#8).

So it was well eched and upol's acid used. So you can say that it's my fault etc. But it's not. The idea behind this tread is to give the pro's / con's of this product or that. I am saying that I read this thread and was fired up to use the raptor product, and I obviously did. I don't regret using the product but I am very unhappy with the results. I wanted it to be thicker similar to a line-x product. I am a firm believer in you get what you paid for and unfortunately for me...

FWIW: it's peeling up because my master cylinder is leaking. I feel like it should hold up against hydraulic fluid...
Brake fluid on top of Raptor will not make it lift. Introduce it to an edge and that changes everything. It won't matter if it's Rhino, Linex or whatever. It will lift given enough time it will get between and separate/lift.

Your brakes, fix em

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #327
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

it's clutch master cylindr .... but either way... it needs to be fixed... when i get it done, I will respray some Al's on there.
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #328
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

OK, going on 5 1/2 years and still looks good and has not lifted anywhere.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #329
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

My U-Pol Raptor is also not lifting up and still looks new after 4 years and in the sun (CJ8). Prep, prep, prep and it will last. I put 4 coats on and if I had to do it over (for the bead) I would add 2 more even though it is holding up, just a little more would be nice.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #330
Omsk178
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Reading through this whole thread. I am sold! Will definitely be purchasing this to do it myself in the week upon us.
Omsk178 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.