Spray in bedliner > You Do It - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spray in bedliner > You Do It

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 09-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Spray in bedliner > You Do It (8 month update)

I just wanted to pass along my experience doing a spray in bedliner on my 77 CJ5. I purchased U-Pol Raptor, which comes in a kit of four one liter bottles and and enough activator to mix all four bottles.

You perform your typical prep. Dissassemble and clean, then make any repairs you may not want to show. I used Bondo brand fiberglass resin jelly to bond the interitor corners on my AJ's glass body, and to fill some old bolt holes and take care of other imperfections. I then scuffed the entire interior using 100 grit dry paper. Blow out the debris.

Wipe everything down now with a damp clean cloth, then follow up by wiping down with a grease, wax, and silicone remover. Tape/mask off anything you don't want covered. Use a tack cloth to remove everything left behing after cleaning.

To spray, you'll need a compressor capable of stubstaining at least 40 psi while you're spraying. The manufacturer recommended 40-70 psi during the spray. I think 70 psi is overkill. It sprayed fine at 40 psi.

I put on two full coats at 90 degrees F with about thirty minutes between the two. This used two of the four bottles. I used the entire third bottle going around making sure to get into those hard to reach/see areas. This is where a spare pair of eyes helped. Once I was sure that I had everything covered, I used the remainder of the third bottle to put a third coat on the heavy use areas, mainly the floor. After that I emptied out just moving around trying to insure uniformity.

When done it looked realy good. Eight months later, it still looks great! I helped a friend do his as well.

Last edited by turpehar; 04-16-2008 at 06:26 PM..
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Did the kit come with the sprayer ?
How much was the U-Pol Raptor kit ?
Looks good, .
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Sure. It comes as a kit in a box complete with hardner and "Shutz" gun.
I bought it off ebay and shiiped to my door it was like $103. If you clean the gun out you can reuse it.
Unread 09-09-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
fast54vw

how well does it insulate the floor from heat?
my floor gets pretty hot under my feet (just the metal, nothing on top)
fast54vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Looks pretty good.

How well does it hide scratches and imperfections?
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 12:35 AM   #6
1979CJ7
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpehar
I just wanted to pass along my experience doing a spray in bedliner on my 77 CJ5. I purchased U-Pol Raptor, which comes in a kit of four one liter bottles and and enough activator to mix all four bottles.

You perform your typical prep. Dissassemble and clean, then make any repairs you may not want to show. I used Bondo brand fiberglass resin jelly to bond the interitor corners on my AJ's glass body, and to fill some old bolt holes and take care of other imperfections. I then scuffed the entire interior using 100 grit dry paper. Blow out the debris.

Wipe everything down now with a damp clean cloth, then follow up by wiping down with a grease, wax, and silicone remover. Tape/mask off anything you don't want covered. Use a tack cloth to remove everything left behing after cleaning.

To spray, you'll need a compressor capable of stubstaining at least 40 psi while you're spraying. The manufacturer recommended 40-70 psi during the spray. I think 70 psi is overkill. It sprayed fine at 40 psi.

I put on two full coats at 90 degrees F with about thirty minutes between the two. This used two of the four bottles. I used the entire third bottle going around making sure to get into those hard to reach/see areas. This is where a spare pair of eyes helped. Once I was sure that I had everything covered, I used the remainder of the third bottle to put a third coat on the heavy use areas, mainly the floor. After that I emptied out just moving around trying to insure uniformity.

When done it looked realy good. See you at the 4wheel and off road nationals at Indy on the 22nd and 23rd of September

looks really good man!!
1979CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 05:09 AM   #7
jeepmor

Wow, that looks good.

I had mine Arma coated (LIneX cousin at the time) over 10 years ago and it still looks great. But I paid about 10x that to have my tub done, and the entire underside.

Wow, again that looks awesome. You should send your pics to the manufacturer or the ebay source you got the stuff from, your work represents the product very well.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 05:13 AM   #8
jeepmor

sorry, double tap.

Last edited by jeepmor; 09-11-2007 at 06:35 AM..
Unread 09-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #9
1984CJ
1984 CJ7 

I like what you did with the High beam switch.
I may look into mounting mine like that.
Originally Posted by ftdranger
You guys on the CJ tech page are a little to tech for me. Must be the leaf springs.
1984CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Q: "How well does it insulate the floor from heat?"

A: This does nothing for insulation purposes.

Q: "How well does it hide scratches and imperfections?"

A: I used 100grit paper to sand, so it hid that. Note to self: If you have a glass tub, and it's an older/cheaper model, now is the time to make it look really good. Use fiberglass resin to fill in and complete those rough lines where interior and exterior pieces were glued together. Notice the back of the tub in my pic's. Ththe floor section and the exterior section comes together there and I hit it with this method. Have a "cheese grater" close by to hit the high spots before they get to hard. This will save you and enourmous amount of time and energy.

Comment: "You should send your pics to the manufacturer or the ebay source you got the stuff from, your work represents the product very well."

Reply to comment: I tried that and then the local sales rep stiffed me. I think he was afraid I was trying to steal his territory, which I could care less. I'm up for doing custom jobs, but not for becoming a product salesmen. At Hanks 4x4 Jamboree, a guy told me he paid Rhino $2200 to do the inside of his tub and the inner and outer fenderwells. Thats about twice as much as what it should cost.

Last edited by turpehar; 10-09-2007 at 08:21 PM..
Unread 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
MDCJ
1985 CJ7 

That does really look good. I am thinking about either rolling or spraying for my tub as well. Just a dumb question though: What do you do about the holes for the seats, etc.?
MDCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCJ
That does really look good. I am thinking about either rolling or spraying for my tub as well. Just a dumb question though: What do you do about the holes for the seats, etc.?
Thanks
You won't have to do anything with the holes you want to preserve. It will only leave a bit around the edge of the hole which you can redrill or leave. If you can (and I know you can) water flowers with a garden hose you can spray this stuff. Don't be afraid. If you want a color match you can buy a tintable pack, then just add the color you want in urethane single stage.
Unread 09-11-2007, 04:49 AM   #13
mmerlina
Underground Jeeps

1986 CJ7 

That looks really nice and uniform, great job man. Did you use an expensive spray gun or just some like $40 job?

Again nice work,

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 05:40 AM   #14
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlina
That looks really nice and uniform, great job man. Did you use an expensive spray gun or just some like $40 job?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turpehar
It comes as a kit in a box complete with hardner and "Shutz" gun.

Nice job! Very clean.
Unread 09-11-2007, 06:38 AM   #15
jeepmor

Having had mine done years ago, another way to fill those pesky gaps on a metal tub is to visit your auto paint supply store and get a tube of urethane to use in a caulking gun. Mine turned out as good as this one, but cost much more. It did get complete coverage, but I would have been much happier if I would have spent a few bucks and an hour filling the gaps with urethane.

Last edited by jeepmor; 09-12-2007 at 09:43 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.