spray in bedliner in tub, do it yourself or have it done - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > spray in bedliner in tub, do it yourself or have it done

ECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
baystrucksalvag
1976 CJ5 

spray in bedliner in tub, do it yourself or have it done

if anybody has any experience in DOY liner kits, tell what ones are best and where to get them, if not i oing to have it done

baystrucksalvag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

take a look through the paint and body section. there's some threads on it in there.
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

This is the one I usd , very easy and I love it!

U-POL Raptor Black Spray-in Liner

Read more here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...light=bedliner

Good luck, Rick
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

I had my truck bed done by a Rhinoliner shop for over $500, then I did my own Jeep tub with a 1 gallon can of Herculiner from JC Whitney - paid about $70 or so - came with everything I needed. I'll tell you that after almost two years, its looks great and its really holding up. The only negative comment is the Herculiner is a little more sensitive to UV light, so it tends to fade. However, a shot of Armorall and it shines and darkens right up. Now the Rhino lining in the bed of my truck - I'm not going around shoveling gravel like you see in the commercials, and in several areas the lining is peeling up. I've actually fixed it with the Herculiner. So, its cheaper, you can do it yourself, and I have no complaints about it whatsoever - I'd recommend Herculiner.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

The 'Do It Yourself' kits work pretty well, but they don't last as long as the Professionally mixed and 'Hot' Sprayed kind.

You are looking at $75 a gallon and a $25 worth of prep stuff compared to $750 to $2,500 for the 'Professionally' done bed liners...
Depending on what you choose and how thick you have them put it on.

Personally, I buy a gallon of Xylene (thinner), a gallon of Herculiner, and a cheap siphon type sand blaster/spray gun and go to town!

The sand blaster cleans up the rusty spots, cracks, crevices and hard to reach places, then you use it to spray the Herculiner on...
A sprayed on coat takes SO MUCH less of the product to do, gets into places you can't even begin to with a brush or roller, and you can do the entire interior in about 10 minutes...
Clean up of the gun is literally siphon spraying thinner through the gun between coats...

"Touch-Up" of Herculiner is SO EASY you won't believe it!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Do it yourself!
Prep is what makes the project work.
I have about $400 invested in Herculiner and all the products, tools, etc. to do it right, but I also did the underside of the tub and we went THICK on the final coats.

Pics & write up for our herc project start at post # 298: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/project-tub-431910/

Definitely an easy project that you can feel good about when you peel the tape off.
Make sure you use the UV coat, you don't want all that hard work looking like garbage in a few months.
Unread 08-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/herc.asp

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #8
baystrucksalvag
1976 CJ5 

thanks guys i think i'll do the raptor i have D A sander, and all the shop tools as i am in salvage biz, jeephammer i will post pics of my job of wiring your HEI duraspark dist conversion, that was the easy perfomance upgrade i have ever done, i took my time and split loomed everything and tied it all up, looks good.....
baystrucksalvag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
dwdrums40385
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i think i'me gonna do the inside of the tub. the previous owner did the entire bottom of the tub when he changed the transmition, and that is some pretty tough lookin stuff. one question though, how well does it hold up against heat. sometimes my floorboards get pretty hot when driving for a while. i also thought about repainting the hardtop with spray-on bedliner, what does anyone think??? any suggestions??? anyone tried it???
dwdrums40385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

My first choice is Monstaliner. There are others I was looking at until I got interested in them and seeing how helpful they are to their customers. Customer service is number one in my book and they stand behind their products which is why I am using them on my frame up build. Monstaliner.com or you can check in the Vendor section as there is an extensive thread.

Request Sample Panel and Information Here
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Eaallred
1962 CJ5 

For the really budget minded, Rustoleum makes a roll on bedliner that costs about $15 a quart. I lined the entire inside of my CJ with it (bought a $2 foam roller from Lowes to do it and a brush for the corners) and it is holding up incredibly well. My jeep is a pile of crap so I figured I didn't care, but after a full summer of beating it up it is all still holding in place. Truth be told, I didn't even do any prep work other than clean the surface with brake cleaner.

A "temporary solution" that has ended up working awesome for me.
Eaallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
dwdrums40385
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaallred View Post
For the really budget minded, Rustoleum makes a roll on bedliner that costs about $15 a quart. I lined the entire inside of my CJ with it (bought a $2 foam roller from Lowes to do it and a brush for the corners) and it is holding up incredibly well. My jeep is a pile of crap so I figured I didn't care, but after a full summer of beating it up it is all still holding in place. Truth be told, I didn't even do any prep work other than clean the surface with brake cleaner.

A "temporary solution" that has ended up working awesome for me.
now that is what ime talkin' bout!!! $15 bucks and a couple a hours of work. i think thats what i'me gonna do. i hear all these people talking about their $800 dollar bedliners, heck if ur gonna spend that much, just wait till ur tub rots to the ground and find another on craigslist or somethin. does it work pretty good, no chunks chipping out or anything. i think im headin to wally mart here in the next couple a hours
Unread 10-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
rustedcustom
1983 CJ7 

My tub is pretty bad so after replacing about 75% of it with 16 gauge galvinized sheet metal . . . I shot it with 3 coats of Rustoleum Rubberized Undercoating out of a spray can and topped it with flat black Krylon spray paint. According to the can . . . it will stay flexible and won't crack. Works for me. . time will tell.
-----------------------
Carter BBD ( The 8th Wonder of the World )
rustedcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
dwdrums40385
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thats a great ideal! bed liner + spray paint = invincible. now that is a heck of a combination! thats almost as good as DUCT TAPE + SUPER GLUE. and if those don't work... well, UR SCREWED! temporarilly until you find a better solution. i think i'me gonna try that too, sounds pretty tough! also, love the picture of bubbles
Unread 10-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #15
rustedcustom
1983 CJ7 

I'm glad a few people reconize Bubbles . . if they bring the series back . . they need to get Ricky sleeping in a CJ with Conky mounted to the hood. Back to the thread . . . I'm a realist . . I need a new tub but want the one I have water tight for the winter and that did the trick. Next spring. . body off replacement . . missed a metal tub at a swap meet for $350 by a half hour.
Everyone says glass. . but I don't want to live forever.
-----------------------
Carter BBD ( The 8th Wonder of the World )
rustedcustom is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.