Spray in bedliner - Sacrifical bolts or... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spray in bedliner - Sacrifical bolts or...

1987-2016 Wrangler Jammock Black 2.0 Jeep Hammock (YJ, TJ Rancho rockGEAR promotion gear from January 1-February 29,Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 11-29-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Spray in bedliner - Sacrifical bolts or...

I'm about to spray my CJ tub with Nason Ful-Poxy then a spray in bedliner. Lots of stuff bolts in to the tub so I'm trying to decide the best way to protect the threads. It would only take about $20 to buy a bunch of sacrificial bolts but it really seems like I could just stuff bits of blue paper shop towel in there and be just fine.

Who has DIYd this before and what did you do? I've got a tap and die set so even if I bugger up the threads with primer or liner I can easily clean them out. Seems like a no brainer to me but a friends swears of I don't put the sacrificial bolts in I'll regret it. He says lube them up with cooking spray and there will be no tear out when I remove them, otherwise I'll be cutting blue paper towel out for ages.

opinions?

escrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2015, 12:37 AM   #2
CSP

Rubber stoppers or foam ear plugs in the holes.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2015, 01:29 AM   #3
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Rubber stoppers or foam ear plugs in the holes.
Excellent, hadn't though of that. Thanks!
Unread 11-29-2015, 03:18 AM   #4
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

Yup. Foam ear plugs is what i used. Just be sure to pull them out before it hardens.
GP_Pete is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
60Bubba

1983 CJ7 

If you're doing the firewall, make sure you tape off the studs!! When the bodyshop did my Rhino Liner, I had to bird dog them to get them to plug the holes. They used twisted up masking tape and DIDN'T remove them before it hardened. That was a mess to get out completely.

Mine was off the frame and totally stripped, so there were several threaded studs exposed on the firewall. Apparently, their logic didn't extend to the idea that if I didn't want the threaded holes plugged up, I also wouldn't want the studs coated

I used a razor knife to get the ends cleaned off, then chased the threads with a die. You can clean up the holes with a tap in the same fashion. I found that some of the holes had a lip of Rhino Liner built up around the opening that made starting bolts a challenge. I used a large drill bit to bevel away the bed liner material from the opening. Worked great.

Case

Rust-free 1983 CJ-7. 4.0L, T-5, OME YJ springs, frame-off resto in 2014. Rhino Liner on all non-painted surfaces and 2012 Jeep Cosmos Blue paint.
60Bubba is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Just picked up a box of 50 from good old Harbor Freight!
Unread 11-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

If you have exposed studs you need to protect put a dab--that's a precise measurement--of wheel bearing grease on the threads. Bedliner might harden around it, but the grease will protect the threads. If you need to chase threads and can't get a die on the stud use a stainless steel nut. You might have to cut an X on the nut with a Dremle tool if the threads are burred on top. You can do the same thing with a SS bolt if a tap instead of a tap.

If it has electric windows and A/C it ain't a Jeep. It is a rebranded Dodge!
bob4703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Just thought I'd update, tomorrow will finally be warm enough that the epoxy primer will cure properly in enough time to shoot the bedliner the same day so I prepped the jeep today. Yes, the plastic goes to the ground but I had to lift it to move the jeep back in to the garage.

Thank you CSP, earplugs were just the ticket

So ready for tomorrow!
Unread 12-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

Jeez, if a handful of common fasteners costs you $20 you are shopping in the wrong place.

Unread 12-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #10
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage-payer View Post
Jeez, if a handful of common fasteners costs you $20 you are shopping in the wrong place.
Was a guestimate and might have been way off.

A box of 100 earplugs cost me $5 and I have, like 70 left.

Seems like a good deal for my range bag so I'm glad I asked.

Thanks for the valuable input though.
Unread 12-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Step one done.

Mixed and inducting

Old Ben is ready to go

Goodbye crappy looking jeep floor

Hello primer, I hope you stick around

Unread 12-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #12
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Make sure to thoroughly scuff that primer. Liner material needs the scuffing to bond to the surface. The chemical bond isn't enough, alone.
Unread 12-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #13
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage-payer View Post

FYI. This is U-POL's Raptor liner.
Unread 12-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #14
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod33 View Post
Make sure to thoroughly scuff that primer. Liner material needs the scuffing to bond to the surface. The chemical bond isn't enough, alone.
Maaaaan, I hope you're wrong

I talked to a paint guy and to the guy who sold me the liner and followed the instructions they both agreed on.

Nason 491-16 epoxy primer shot at at least 70F, not more than 100F. Air cure 2 hrs based on today's temps here then immediately shoot bedliner, no scuffing.

Nason, if you oven bake or wait more than 24 hr you have to scuff, under 24hr no scuffing with compatible topcoats.

2 part urethane bedliner is a compatible topcoat according to the paint guy.

If you want to sand/scuff 491-16 you must wait 24 hrs or bake. I told the paint guy I was glad to do this and he said go with the the prime/2hrs/bedliner plan for best adhesion.

Which is why I hope you're wrong...

Well, that and this:

Unread 12-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #15
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Well..... I am the operations manager for a performance polyurea coatings company, including bed liners.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.