Spray in bedliner in Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spray in bedliner in Jeep

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Spray in bedliner in Jeep

Went down to local buisness to get my fiberglass Jeep Rhino-lined before I paint it in a couple weeks and they refused to as it is to too much trouble... Even though I removed everything to make easier including roll bar. SO I have decided to tackle myself. My question is has anyone done their own and what is the best product to use? Was figuring on spraying in instead of roll on but am open to suggestions. Found some good deals on ebay on different kits around $150. Bottom line is I only want to do it once. I am mechanically inclined and my wife is my painter so I figure we can handle the job easy enough just looking for best bang for the buck. Also how much should I buy for ample coverage.Thanks in advance for any help!!

bill in the hil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Do a search on this topic. Millions of threads on this.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
limegreenCJ7
1984 CJ7 

go to a hardware store and buy a slutzt gun (like 20$)...
you need a decent air compressor
buy some rhino lining or whatever brand you please
mask off and poly anything you dont want the liner on...
Spray away.... really easy
limegreenCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Thanks for advice. Probably should have searched first. Found lot's of info. Looks like i know what My weekend plans are.
Unread 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

Lots of folks on here have used Herculiner. I haven't got that far in my project yet but Ive heard good things about it. I used to use the stuff you get at walmart but it doesnt hold up very well to solvents and the like.
Unread 04-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
79BlackPearl
1979 CJ7 

Herculiner on ebay = $65
Acetone, scuff pads, safety gloves at Lowes = $15
One day of personal labor removing interior parts, taping off the interior, scuffing the existing paint, and rolling on the Herculine = $FREEEEE. (I get free labor from a little devise at my house called kid)

Having the personal satisfaction that it was done right = PRICELESS!!!

Can't say enough about my $80 bed liner that is has good as a $400 professional job. I am really pleased with it.

Guaranteed to Make $$$$ with your Computer! No Risk Involved! Simply press shift-4 four times in a row.
79BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
turpehar
Web Weiner

1977 CJ5 

Check out my thhread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/spray-bedliner-you-do-460435/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I can't believe they turned you away because it was too much work..

Prep work is the key with the Herc.. scuff everything well and wipe down with Xylol (Xylene). Mix the Herc with a drill mixer (propeller blade) so the rubber granules are well suspended. I shoot mine with a Harbor Freight "Textured" Spray Gun..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
luckycheesehead

I sprayed mine with U-Pol Raptor this past weekend. If my wife will ever bring our camera home from work I will take pictures and post them. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the outcome! I ran out at the end but it was my own stupid fault. I sprayed my tailgate and roll bar also and unfortunately started with them. I should have started with the tub. When I realized I was about to run out I sprayed everywhere except directly under my seats and under the console. I finished those parts up with Herc that I ran to the store to buy. Luckily the way I did it, you wouldn't ever be able to tell it was different unless you removed the seats/console. I like the look and texture of U-Pol better than the Herc. As for durability...we'll see on down the road. One gallon (4 liters) would be plenty to spray the entire tub.

Now that I've sprayed, I don't think I would ever consider rolling or brushing it on. Spraying is SO easy. Just be sure you have a good air compressor that can hold a steady 45-50psi. I used a 25 gallon Craftsman, it did fine. As mentioned in previous posts and all other posts, preparation is key. I actually took two days to make sure I did it right.

I bought my U-Pol kit from TPtools.com. They had 4 liters and the gun for $109 with shipping. They are in OH so it shouldn't take long for you to get it in WV. It took 4 days to get to Little Rock, AR.

GOOD LUCK!!! (and if your camera is handy when you're done, post pictures)

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
luckycheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

I herculined my interior, best thing I've ever done. I actually rolled it on, worked like a charm. Cost me $100 for the herculiner, and like $4 for acetone. The rest was all labor.
p1290446.jpg   p1290449.jpg  

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
luckycheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlina View Post
I herculined my interior, best thing I've ever done. I actually rolled it on, worked like a charm. Cost me $100 for the herculiner, and like $4 for acetone. The rest was all labor.
I actually decided to do my rollbar after seeing yours Mike. Not really going to do much for protection I figure, but it looks GREAT!!

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
luckycheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 04:12 AM   #12
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Thanks too all. Great info. Will post pics. when done. Any extra steps for fiberglass prep? No paint just gelcoat...? Thanks again for all responses.
Unread 04-16-2008, 04:13 AM   #13
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Thanks too all. Great info. Will post pics. when done. Any extra steps for fiberglass prep? No paint just gelcoat...? Thanks again for all responses.
Unread 04-16-2008, 04:15 AM   #14
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Unread 04-16-2008, 04:16 AM   #15
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.