spoa lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > spoa lift

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 05-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
thebigbadjeep

spoa lift

whats the best way to do a spoa (spring over axle) lift on a 81 jeep cj-5. am i better off to buy a kit or if im a good welder and fabricator to just build it myself using universial spring perches and other parts as i go? and how does it affect the steering geometry? i found a bolt on kit for around $450 am i better off just to buy the kit or fabricat it? im planning on running 36x12.5x15 tires if anyone has any input on whats the best set up is it would be greatly appriciated i was planning on doing a 4'' lift and a spoa lift thanks

thebigbadjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
SamFromCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbadjeep
whats the best way to do a spoa (spring over axle) lift on a 81 jeep cj-5. am i better off to buy a kit or if im a good welder and fabricator to just build it myself using universial spring perches and other parts as i go?
The best way is to do a lot research before you start. Only you know if you can handle the fabrication. The actual fabrication isn't as hard as knowing the proper way of doing things.
Quote:
...and how does it affect the steering geometry?
It can be changed drastically, possibly to the point where your Jeep will be undrivable. Again, do the research. If you know the results that you want to achieve you'll know what to do to get there.
Quote:
i found a bolt on kit for around $450 am i better off just to buy the kit or fabricat it?
I would probably fabricate it myself if I were you. Maybe get a certified welder to handle some of the stuff. What does $450 include?
Quote:
im planning on running 36x12.5x15 tires if anyone has any input on whats the best set up is it would be greatly appriciated i was planning on doing a 4'' lift and a spoa lift thanks
My input is that is waaaaay too much lift. You'll have one hell of a time getting a rear driveshaft to work with 8"-10" of lift. With the 4"-6" of lift that you will get by going SOA by itself you may want to look into wider axles.
Unread 05-27-2004, 05:17 AM   #3
thebigbadjeep

o yea nad it curently has 33x12.5x15 on it now and from what i cas see alls it has is a shackle lift the springs apear to be stock from what i can see the kit comes with everthing to do the spoa but the picture and text doesnt say anything about the steering
thebigbadjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 09:05 PM   #4
SamFromCO

A spring over conversion isn't really that hard to do. The devil is in the details. You basically only have to weld spring perches on the top of the axle tubes and then bolt the axles back on. Some of the issues that you'll probably run into are:
Setting the proper pinion angle on the rear axle. This will be determined by what type of rear driveshaft that you will be using. A double u-joint type shaft has a maximum operating angle of about 15. If you raise a CJ5 very far you'll quickly go over this limit and so you'll have to go with a CV type rear shaft. This means that the driveshaft and pinion will be almost in line. You need to set this up before welding on the spring perches.
While were on the subject of the rear axle, one of the negative effects of a SOA conversion is axle wrap. You need to determine how you will deal with that.
The big problem with the front axle is the steering. Springs on top of the axle often try to occupy the same space as your tie rod or drag link with less than desirable results. Going with high steering is one way to deal with this problem but a pricey one. Also be sure that your caster angle is correct before you weld the spring perches onto the axle.
You may have to deal with shock mounts, brake lines, lengthing the front driveshaft and things like that. I would make sure that the $450 kit addressed these issues.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.