Spending time in the CJ section - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Spending time in the CJ section

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Spending time in the CJ section

Hello all,

I have been spending most of my Jeep Forum time in the square eye section. I have a 93 Sahara that I love and have been slowly getting it where I want it.
Here's a quick picture of it.

finishedfenders-011.jpg

I have a few more thing I want to add to it including axle swaps front and rear with 4.10 gears and a front locker, a Rock Hard cage and finishing the paint.

However, the other day I picked up another CJ from a lady down the road I have known for quite a few years. It doesn't run right now but I picked it up priced right and am confident I can get it going. Heres a couple of shots of it.

cj-shackels-006.jpg

cj-shackels-010.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what my plans are for this one yet besides getting it running. I am either going to just get it running and let my son drive it back and forth to work, make it a decent rig for the wife, or go with a decent off road build. It probably depends on whether the wife or sons begs more!!

I've been lurking the CJ side since I picked this up a couple of weeks ago and have been gleaning a bunch of info. It's been a while since I've had a vehicle that has a carb on it and that I need a timing light for!
I appreciate all the activity over here and hope to learn more and contribute at some point.

cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
moto450r
1985 CJ7 

Looks like you have a nice base to start with. Welcome to CJ land.
Unread 05-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Very nice - I remember seeing one like that for sale in the FC/Loveland area - is this the one? If you ever decide to part with that carpet, let me know. I need a nutmeg carpet for the T176/D300 combo.

Good luck with it, I bet it won't take much to get it running again. Hopefully this isn't the one I remember, and you're somewhere in CO where you won't have to deal with the emissions nazis once you get it running
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Looks like complete junk, especially if it's not running. Chances are the frames shot too! I'll take it off your hands for $500, and you won't have to worry about it!

*really though, looks good!*
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Nice looking CJ7. Good candidate for a resto. Keep it stock and keep it simple.
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
1949er

Fix it for You & the Wife , make the kid get his own when he can afford the gas & ins. , if he does it on his own - with a little help - he will understand Jeepin better ,
1949er is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Very nice - I remember seeing one like that for sale in the FC/Loveland area - is this the one? If you ever decide to part with that carpet, let me know. I need a nutmeg carpet for the T176/D300 combo.

Good luck with it, I bet it won't take much to get it running again. Hopefully this isn't the one I remember, and you're somewhere in CO where you won't have to deal with the emissions nazis once you get it running
Definitly not the one from FC. I picked this one up in Elizabeth. I imagine Matt had probably seen this one running around a few years ago as it's just down the road from his neck of the woods.

I'm hoping it doesn't take much to get it running. The lady that had it said that it was starting to cut out on her and stalling. She took it to a mechanic who didn't want to mess with it so he let one of his guys look at it. That guy said it needed an engine. He then put an alluminum valve cover on it (why I dont know if it needed an engine) and the PO said it leaked like crazy.
She then took it to a different mechanic who was trying to get it running right and ended up cutting into the exhaust. She said when they did that it fired up and was running better. She thinks the exhaust is plugged on it.

I am planning on dropping the tank and cleaning the fuel system out. Then I will do a quick compression test on it and see where that leads me. If the compression checks out ok I will be changing lots of fluids, belts, hoses, vacumm lines, tune up stuff, and checking out that exhaust.

Lots to do but should be a fun project.

Thanks again for the welcome.
Unread 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
1949er

Be Careful as you may stick just stick with Round Headlights
1949er is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
WILSONCJ5
1981 CJ5 

My wife and I are moving to the Denver area in about a month , are you near there , and do you want to sell your chrome grille and or dash pad ?
I hope you enjoy your "5" as much as we do !

Good luck, Mike
WILSONCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949er View Post
Be Careful as you may stick just stick with Round Headlights
Ha Ha, this is actually my third CJ7. I had to sell the other two quite a few years ago when we needed more room for kids. So how do you fix that problem with Jeeps,,,,,,get another one and let them drive one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILSONCJ5 View Post
My wife and I are moving to the Denver area in about a month , are you near there , and do you want to sell your chrome grille and or dash pad ?
I hope you enjoy your "5" as much as we do !

Good luck, Mike
I'm a little south east of Denver. Sorry, cant be selling parts yet. Good luck on the move.
Unread 05-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
WILSONCJ5
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab View Post
Ha Ha, this is actually my third CJ7. I had to sell the other two quite a few years ago when we needed more room for kids. So how do you fix that problem with Jeeps,,,,,,get another one and let them drive one!

I'm a little south east of Denver. Sorry, cant be selling parts yet. Good luck on the move.
Thanks for the kind words. It's gonna be interesting, I haven't been snowed on in 25 years !
WILSONCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILSONCJ5 View Post
Thanks for the kind words. It's gonna be interesting, I haven't been snowed on in 25 years !
And you won't be snowed on much in Denver, either.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #13
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK everyone, a little update and info needed.
My son and I dropped the tank the other day to flush it. Of course it was rusted out and had a couple of holes. I remember as I was looking at it thinking, "this thing is not a stock tank." When I got it out it had paint pen markings on the top of it saying 77 CJ5.
No bog deal since at this point I knew it was getting replaced. So first question is, I found the Quadratec 21 gal fuel tank and install kit. $280 bucks. Is this what people are doing to replace the tanks. I know replacements are hard to come by.

So after that I did a quick compression test on it.
Results dry were 100, 110, 100, 110, 85, 90.
Wet results are 105, 120, 125, 135, 100, 105

The numbers look a bit low to me and the 5 and 6 cylinder numbers worry me about a head gasket. What do you all think? Time for a rebuild?
I did spray some starting fluid in it and it fired up and ran as long as it had starting fluid in it. It was running rough which was not unexpected, but in the short time it was running there was obvious smoke coming from the oil fill hole in the valve cover.

Which way would you guys go. Rebuild or no. I dont NEED this thing running right now but I think it would run. With the compression numbers I dont think it would run great though.
Unread 05-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Yup, you are right, it is pretty worn. When mine got that way, I was on a tight budget so I found a low mileage grand Cherokee rust bucket and got the 4.0 motor from that. I then just put all my 258 stuff on it. It runs great and gives me a sweet 25 mpg. Including the engine, the swap ran me about $350.00 total.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #15
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Nice find!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.