Speedometer needle swings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Speedometer needle swings

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 06-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Speedometer needle swings

My 84 CJ7 Speedometer needle swings back and forth in a 10mph arc. Is this a common problem? Anything I can do to damp this oscillation? My current speed is, at best, a guess.

foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
atlshaun
1983 CJ8 

I have the same issue. I have no clue how fast I am driving.
atlshaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Have you tried pulling out the cable and cleaning and lubing it? They can get sticky and then make the needle jump. Aside from that probably a new speedo.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I suppose that brake cleaner down the speedo cable tube is the place to start.
Unread 06-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I swapped the speedo gear in the Dana 300 today and could not get the speedo cable cap to screw back onto the gear holder that fits in the side of the D300. I finally realized that the inner cable is pushing before the cable cap engages the threads on the gear holder. I think the internal cable is too long and this is why I'm getting the sticky inner cable. The inner cable is binding against the sides of the outer cable since it is being compressed when I get the cable cap screwed down. So I think I need to cut a bit off the end of the inner cable to fix this. I'll try to fix this when I can get an afternoon that it's not raining.
Unread 06-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Sounds like one of the universal cables that was cut too long. When mine went jumpy like that, the outer casing had tagged the exhaust pipe melting the inner liner.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
My 84 CJ7 Speedometer needle swings back and forth in a 10mph arc. Is this a common problem? Anything I can do to damp this oscillation? My current speed is, at best, a guess.
This is typical for a mechanical speedometer. More modern speedos were progressively dampened, but there was little that could be done due to the nature of how the reading is transmitted (my 88XJ does the same thing.)

This was virtually eliminated with electronically-driven speedometers.

The problem lies in the fact that you have a constantly-spinning element (driven by the cable from the transfer case,) which is a yoke that surrounds the armature that drives the needle. The two are coupled using a weak magnetic field - there is no direct coupling between the two. Therefore, there will be some "uncoupling" happening, as the lack of a direct connection comes into play.

(Electronically-driven speedometers are generally simply "analogue frequency counters" - driven by a pulsed signal from a similar location, interpreted by the ECM, and that signal used to drive the speedo. Early electronic speedos were driven directly by the signal. In either case, you could "reprogramme" the interpreter to account for changes in final drive gearing or tyre size, often more accurately than swapping gears in old mech speedo setups.)

Suggest either looking for a speedo head with more modern construction, or finding a "conversion" setup where you can install an electronic speedo in place of the OEM mechanical (both should be available.) The problem is that you can't really dampen the mechanical speedo overmuch, because the magnetic field coupling the moving parts is necessarily weak. Therefore, overdapening the needle will result in a "false low" reading - and "instrument error" isn't much of a positive defense in traffic court...
Unread 06-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I cut 1/4" off the inner cable and now the speedometer works like it should. It still bounces a little but it's useable. The inner cable was definitely too long. I used a cutoff wheel on a dremel tool to shorten the inner cable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.